Xyzzу

[RELEASED!!] Confinement 256 CP

how can you even

what

that's like 4x4 flats holy shit

(on that note, 1 flat is even crazier)

4 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Concentration 32 when?

To be fully honest, I get way more ideas on how to make an interesting 32x32 map than a 256x256.

Here is a 256x256 map. Boom format. Don't add me/this to the OP yet, I want to see how interest in the project pans out over the next few days. It has HMP and UV. UV might get harder in a future version, but I'm not going to make it easier. :)

Spoiler

4ieAsD8.png

uSMYSoW.png

Edited by rdwpa

Blastfrog, this might help. 

On 5/8/2017 at 5:34 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

But in case you somehow don't know what the idea behind it is, the area of each map the player has access to can only as big as a 256x256 map unit square.

Heh, my bad. I DID just say I was going to bed over on IRC, why haven't I done that yet? Doing so now.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:34 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

...the area of each map the player has access to can only as big as a 256x256 map unit square...

Just a curiosity: Is the playable area strictly confined to a 256-sided square.  Or, can wider, "L" shaped maps be allowed.  Or furthermore, can even non-contiguous areas be allowed, like w/ teleporters connecting them (basically any map whose playable area is 65536=256*256 mapunits)?

^ I think L shapes would be a good idea, but non-contiguous sounds kinda against the spirit of the project.

Also, I'm making a map for this btw

^ Bonking your head against the ceiling while you're trying to ride up lifts makes for pretty boring gameplay unfortunately, especially since a lot of the lifts aren't properly denoted as lifts.

Your map is great @rdwpa—I suspect this is the only "real" way to make a 256x256 play space interesting. Thought it was balanced well as is. The funny part about the imp/manc/caco wave is that the best way to tackle it is to suppress the caco wave with the RL since the support beam can block the manc shots... not too often you see cacos to be a higher priority target than a manc. The end is a bit hairy—first time I tried it I get dunked on due to the amount of enemies that warp in, but the PG on round 2 made short work of the AV. Really curious how anyone could top this for the project.

11 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Just a curiosity: Is the playable area strictly confined to a 256-sided square.  Or, can wider, "L" shaped maps be allowed.  Or furthermore, can even non-contiguous areas be allowed, like w/ teleporters connecting them (basically any map whose playable area is 65536=256*256 mapunits)?

The spirit of it is to have the whole play-space take place in a single 256*256 square. If you only used say 2/3rds of the square in an L shape that's ok, but the player can't go outside the square.

But really the aim is to see what mappers can do with essentially a small square room.

Edited by Bauul

Confinement Beam

Midi: James Paddock - 30in30-4 - What If I Don't Want To Be A Punching Bag

Target Source Port: Zdoom

Notes: The scripts in the map are map number sensitive, so I will need to change some numbers if
the slot changes. I'm a beginner with ACS so the code is not great at one point, but mostly fine. The RNG can be bad sometimes, use whatever you can, think smart.

Probably bugs, I'm out of time for now.

Media

N2P1RCF.jpg

Edited by Pinchy

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

^ Bonking your head against the ceiling while you're trying to ride up lifts makes for pretty boring gameplay unfortunately, especially since a lot of the lifts aren't properly denoted as lifts.

Sorry, it's only the second time I ever make a single player map for Doom in my whole life. I may not up-to-date with the kind of experience modern players are seeking. Regarding the head bonking, I can make the holes bigger for people who find this difficult. For the denotation issue that you had with the lifts, which lifts caused some difficulty for you? You should explain what you are expecting. I'm used to maps where it's not obvious to figure out where you must go, but I understand that there is no way to differentiate the first lift from other walls, but there are not a lot of walls to try and I expected this to be easy. The rest of the navigation from lift to lift is pretty straightforward because you always see them moving or when there is a new series of lifts, they are always in front of you when you open the keyed "doors".

There are some lifts that are switch-activated, but some people may believe they are walk-over lifts. Some people may get mixed. I realized there may even be some places where people could get stuck since the switches can only be activated from one side, I forgot to check the cases where it may happen. 

4 hours ago, Bauul said:

The spirit of it is to have the whole play-space take place in a single 256*256*256 cube.

Is the z-part of the equation actually limited to 256, too? I thought the point of the Congestion-style stuff was that the 2D play area of the player was stuck at a certain size, while the z-part wasn't limited.

5 hours ago, Pinchy said:

Ok, THAT is awesome! A lot of my early maps work like this, in a wave-based invasion sorta way. I don't know much about the capabilities of ZDoom, but was it a complicated task to create that blue scan laser that goes up and down? I don't think I've seen anything like it! 

10 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Here is a 256x256 map. Boom format. Don't add me/this to the OP yet, I want to see how interest in the project pans out over the next few days. It has HMP and UV. UV might get harder in a future version, but I'm not going to make it easier. :)

...what?! My penultimate map is JUST like this! No joke! A large, open hell rock area, with wave-based combat from all sides, and even with a pillar in the center of the player area as your only means of cover! WTF?! The only difference is that my map has a lot more monsters and is kinda-sorta slaughter-ish in its approach. and it's vanilla in design. no conveyor belt scripts!

Great minds think alike, I suppose! :^)

10 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Here's my map. I got some bug with the yellow pillar door, I don't know why it doesn't work. It's vanilla compatible. 

Apart from the couple of issues already mentioned and addressed, this map was fun and a bit unique. I haven't seen a map (other than bzzrak's puzzle) that made much use of lifts like that. The archvile fight is an interesting one. Nice job on this.

I hope there is no requirement for 4 player starts. It's gonna be tight.

Oh man, I can't imagine! If you manage to make a coop map, I will be thoroughly impressed.

2 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Is the z-part of the equation actually limited to 256, too? I thought the point of the Congestion-style stuff was that the 2D play area of the player was stuck at a certain size, while the z-part wasn't limited.

The z-part is not a restriction. You can make a multi-3d floor tower map for all I care... wait, that's actually not a bad idea! Somebody get on this!

Man, I'm beginning to grow envious of these submissions, in a positive way of course! They're all too good!

*EDIT By the way, "people who submitted" list is updated

Edited by Xyzzy01

Interesting. I'll see if I can get something done for this.

I'll start to make the map after breakfast....I have a nice idea for it :D

It'll be a heavily scripted one, that is...

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Stairway to Heaven?

Circumference 256 :O

9 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Here's my map. I got some bug with the yellow pillar door, I don't know why it doesn't work. It's vanilla compatible. 

Linedef 154 has a D1 action and is tagged to the yellow pillar... it won't work that way... the action should be 137 insted of 34.

(TBH I expected a guy with his own sourceport to know that. :] )

Nice map btw.

edit: You could also indicate what walls are in fact "press-able" lifts, something like a strip of DOORSTOP/doortrak would be more than enough, IMO.

Edited by bzzrak

3 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Somebody get on this!

Way ahead of ya':

(Note: Map looks pretty crappy from outside the player's confinements, if only for now. :P)

f8fd8ccb6f2f38aa6d6430b0ebd09e77.png

Has anyone tried making a map-transformer? Like break the square into really tiny pieces, assign each a tag, then have a bunch of scripts or Boom scrollers completely change the scenery several times. Maybe have a special booth the player activates the transforming process from so that he can't interfere with it by blocking moving sectors or whatever. And after each transformation, teleport in some new monsters. That way you can have pretty much infinitely long map out of just one 256x256 square.

ZPack's E3M0 is basically a saner version of that, which doesn't try to go through the agony of shoving several rooms into the same space but still creates complex rooms from nothing.