Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

[RELEASED!!] Confinement 256 CP

@Angry Saint @leodoom85 I think a custom sky and a custom MIDI file for music would be fine (no MP3s though please, just for file size reasons).  Please name the MIDI and the sky texture something unique though (perhaps the first eight letters of your name?) to reduce the chance of conflicts with other maps.

Unless you have specific preferences not to, please use also MAPINFO to set them up.  It'll make it simple to compile the master MAPINFO file that way.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

@Angry Saint @leodoom85 I think a custom sky and a custom MIDI file for music would be fine (no MP3s though please, just for file size reasons).  Please name the MIDI and the sky texture something unique though (perhaps the first eight letters of your name?) to reduce the chance of conflicts with other maps.

Unless you have specific preferences not to, please use also MAPINFO to set them up.  It'll make it simple to compile the master MAPINFO file that way.

Gotcha man :)

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Weapon spawns are blocked if a monster is in the way. Your scroller closets need the 'looping' treatment that the revenant gets. 

Yup I literally learned about this yesterday because of this project. It's been an enlightening experience!

Finally had a chance to try everyone's wads.  It's amazing the variety people come up with with just 2562 of space!  My main thoughts: I am seriously bad at Doom compared to most people here!  I found a fair few of these wads absolutely impossibly difficult.  I think I need some more practice!

@rdwpa  Awesome use of the space, and a really nice map.  Totally outside my ability, although that's all on me! It took me about five attempts and eventually beat it on ITYTD.  Great use of script timings, and learning where to point your rocket launcher before the wall lowers certainly makes it easier!

@ShotgunDemolition Arch-Nemesis: Nice little map!  Short and to the point.  Not every map has to last for 10 minutes, I enjoyed it.

@Pinchy Very nice idea for the map!  I couldn't get anywhere near finishing the end, but I didn't really care just because the setting was so cool.  And I lolled at the Baron punch-fight!  I was slightly disappointed the beam didn't seem to hurt the monsters though.

@bzzrak I liked the premise, but I admit, I got completely stuck.  I pressed a few buttons, heard a crusher and what sounded like an AV somewhere dying, and then just wandered around for a few minutes with no idea where to go.  What did I miss?

@Jaws In Space Fun little map!  I liked the Revenant surprise.  It did take me a little while to work out how to get the red key though: I'm not even totally sure what I did in the end.  Ended up hitting space on every single surface of the room and eventually it lowered.  I enjoyed it though!

@scifista42 Heh, nice concept!  I'm not remotely good enough to beat the map, but nice concept either way!  

@ShotgunDemolition Deadly Hell: Hah, nice one!  Embarrassingly it took me a good 10-15 seconds to work out what you wanted me to do, but I laughed when I worked it out.

@axdoomer Nice claustrophobic experience, but I'm afraid the map has a few issues at the moment.  The Revenant is too tall and gets stuck in the ceiling, and having to spend three or four attempts to perfectly line yourself up with each lift is kind of annoying.  Try to limit any ceiling lips on the way up on any lift.  Also, I must admit, I got totally stuck, progress wise.  I activated the yellow switch, and just couldn't work out where to go next.  I thought it would raise the yellow barrier that stops the exit lift from working (nice touch by the way!) but it didn't, so I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be going.  Also, just FYI, that endless Arachnotron walking noise was pretty tedious by the end!

@dt_ I enjoyed both maps!  I didn't realize the switches were shootable first time I played, I just targeted the revenants because they're revenants, but worked out nicely in the end!  Is the end of the first map a reference to Human BBQ?  I died far too fast there to notice what happened the first time, but my second play-through I recognized it.  Maybe pop a medikit in the BBQ to ensure players have at least a second or two to understand what's going on?  The second map was a great concept too.

@Obsidian I loved the way the outside changed theme over time, gave a great sense of progression despite the limited space.  Really good map!

All in all great job everyone, we're going to see some wonderfully diverse experiences when this all gets compiled at the end!

Edited by Bauul

41 minutes ago, Bauul said:

(about my map)

I got completely stuck.

You're the second person today who told me that. I'm becoming worried. Demo plz?

(I think I might know what did you do, but I'd like to be certain.)

In my defence, I did not provide any guarantees that the map will work outside of Choco Doom. I know that's not an excuse.

I'm glad you liked the premise. :]

EDIT:

-----------------------------

2 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I got stuck too.

The left switch SHOULD lower the platform you started the level on... then you should jump into it, press the switch that reveals itself, wait until the monster dies and shoot the switch behind the bars.

B-b-b-but it worked when I tested it!

Edited by bzzrak

17 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

You're the second person today who told me that.

I got stuck too. It's near the spot with the two switches that are next to each other. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to any of the higher platforms

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

try it in (G)ZDoom

I've just fired up the old trusty ZDoom 2.8.1 and... you won't believe me but IT WORKS PERFECTLY

I am now legitimately creeped out!

EDIT: HOLY COW PEOPLE I've accidentally left a platform raised! That must've been the cause! I'll upload a fixed version ASAP!!!

Thank you all, bless you, kind people

another EDIT: yeah @Bauul that's it!

Edited by bzzrak : BZZRAK SUCKS AT LIFE

@bzzrak 

44 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

You're the second person today who told me that. I'm becoming worried. Demo plz?

(I think I might know what did you do, but I'd like to be certain.)

In my defence, I did not provide any guarantees that the map will work outside of Choco Doom. I know that's not an excuse.

I'm glad you liked the premise. :]

EDIT:

-----------------------------

The left switch SHOULD lower the platform you started the level on... then you should jump into it, press the switch that reveals itself, wait until the monster dies and shoot the switch behind the bars.

B-b-b-but it worked when I tested it!

LMP attached, recorded on GZDoom 3.0.1 (the latest release).   I don't recall seeing any bars with switches, so definitely something is going weird!

256.zip

Edit:  Just to reiterate, this will be a (G)ZDoom targeted release when it's done, so (G)ZDoom is the only source port it has to work in.

Hey @bzzrak, I finished your level. It is clever the way you used the platforming sections and although it didn't work for me at the first time when I tried to go to the Arch-vile , the other five times I played it, it worked fine. I also managed to do the map without waiting for the Arch-vile. I went down and spammed the wall like crazy, hoping to hit the switch, which happened (I was lucky). Of course, it was a really close call (I survived with 18 HP and 18 armor, having used the armor you placed). Overall, I loved it!

2 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

@Bauul @axdoomer @dobu gabu maru may you live a thousand years

This should fix it.

ConFINEMENT256-Bzzrak-V2.zip

Hey it works!  I was just thinking it might have been due to hitting the red switch before shooting the green one, nice fix.

Regarding the AV trap, if you don't hit the switch straight away, is there anything you can do to save yourself?  It seems that unless you know to hit the switch straight away (i.e. you've played the map before) the AV will always kill you before you it dies, which seems a little harsh.

Umm, bzzrak? I don't mean to crush your dreams again, but I got stuck again!

Screenshot_Doom_20170511_171630.png

1 minute ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I got stuck again

Where?

edit:

3 minutes ago, Bauul said:

(about AV)

which seems a little harsh.

Well, you chose yourself to play on a difficulty setting called "Ultra-Violence". I don't play on UV so la la la la I don't hear you

(HNTR/HMP have a hell noble instead.)

Right where I'm standing, there seems to be no way to get back up on the platform in front of me.

5 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Well, you chose yourself to play on a difficulty setting called "Ultra-Violence". I don't play on UV so la la la la I don't hear you

(HNTR/HMP have a hell noble instead.)

I like your spirit!  I will just say however:

1. For better or worse, most people try each map on UV to begin with, so that'll be the "default" experience for most (even though really people should start on HMP, but for some reason UV has ended up the default).
  2. Even the greatest Doom player in the world won't know to hit that switch in the millisecond they land, so you're essentially making the player die the first time they play the level (unless the RNG gods love them).  Which if you want to, that's absolutely fine (artistic integrity and all that), I was just commenting it seemed a little harsh.

9 minutes ago, Bauul said:

making the player die the first time they play the level

The level takes 40 seconds to beat when you get to know it. The player isn't losing anything if he dies a few times.

If it were a Foursite-big level (heh), then yeah, it'd be harsh. But in a mini-micro-nano level like this? Nah. :]

16 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

no way to get back up on the platform in front of me.

Oh, I see...

Now I know how the BTSX folks feel, dammit! :]

I apologise for the solution's extreme hackiness, but it's literally impossible to do it in any other way.

I'm slowly losing the last remains of my sanity, btw.

ConFINEMENT256-Bzzrak-v2,5.zip

42 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

The level takes 40 seconds to beat when you get to know it. The player isn't losing anything if he dies a few times.

If it were a Foursite-big level (heh), then yeah, it'd be harsh. But in a mini-micro-nano level like this? Nah. :]

Yeah fair enough. :)  You win this round!  

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

'scuse me? A blatant insult would be to call you a fucking imbecile or something more aggressive than a 'dismissive troll', which describes your actions accurately might I add. Instead of retaliating, Coraline said their opinions in an INCREDIBLY polite way and have even offered to fix your issues despite you having been rude to her about her work. Had I been in Coraline's shoes I'd have ripped into you for being so dumb as to forget a source port requires an IWAD.

I will admit my mistakes and say that simply saying something is crap is not the right way to judge something, I am sorry about that. But using insults such as dismissive troll is not on. A troll is someone who intentionally tries to cause havoc amongst a forum, and I'm hardly being dismissive by improving and apologising for my behaviour. I don't consider "cheeky" being polite, or mixing up one or two mistakes, (which could have been pointed out in a nice way) with intentions, misunderstandings happen, I was never trying to intentionally bag Coraline out. It's kinda hard to be "nice" about someone's work, when their immediate response is negative. I have gone and stepped in Coraline's shoes, I expect he/she does the same with me.

Also my experience with 3DGE and my opinion on it is that it has almost no desernable advantages over other source ports, unless you count a 700+ FPS and a few exclusive mods.

I am ignoring blatant insults and hypocritical behaviour at this point.

Good work, @bzzrak! There's just one more thing to fix, but it's super simple. Move this shootable switch a few units down. The frontmost linedef works but the one behind it doesn't. I shot just to the right of it for comparison. I never use mouselook (and I'm pretty sure this map wasn't designed for that), so I don't know if this went unnoticed by everyone else because of that.

Screenshot_Doom_20170511_182036.png.b0d72bf437255e1a91883b15efbab562.png

FWIW, the switch DOES work as intended in prBoom-plus, so maybe it's just the way ZDoom handles height with hitscans? 

Really sorry for having you pull your hair out over this. I like this map a lot! There's not enough purely puzzle-oriented maps out there...

It was, uh... not an A-game day, but here's an FDA for rdwpa's map. Apparently I'm not supposed to run into projectiles or maybe I'm just an equal-opportunity victim as I died to almost every monster type on the map. No love for the zombies, though :(

Fun little arena-type map, favoring excessively aggressive play to keep the hordes at bay before the next wave comes in. Tight on the time to kill everything, too, which is nice. The column in the middle of the play space made an effective, yet fickle form of cover from the surrounding mobs, though staying on top of them certainly keeps that from happening. There was just enough pressure from multiple angles to have a set of teeth without being too overbearing on the player.

Aesthetically the map looks great; done in rd's typical style of stark lighting contrasts against vertically grand architecture, using the architecture itself as the main course of the detailing of the map, plus a bookcase because demons like to read while they wait for the Doomguy to arrive. The detailing was minimal but effective, which is always cool to see. Also, while checking out the map's visuals real quick in ITYTD: total bonus points on the deadly demons outside of the play space, haha.

I liked the setup of the encounters as the map rolls on, starting with the super-high-priority zombies as the 2 groups of dual-imps+HK flank you on either side; juust enough time to drop them all before the 2nd wave rolls in with concentrated fire on the HKs before the imps. The next group had a nice potential to surround the player despite all starting from the same general location, though with the timing of the next wave to come I noted that aggressive play was needed to kill them all before the next wave comes in, rather than trying to preserve health and hug that column, which I think is a plus. The cacos+mancs+others wave was a cool thing, I think in the end that as long as the player is on top of things and awaiting that next wave, it makes sense to just about kill all the mancs straight up and ignore the cacos at first, but for most situations where the player will still be mopping up that last HK or two it's a nice little "juggle" between managing the manc horde and the caco swarm. I liked the AV mid-wave there somewhat near the HK swarm, but lol if that'll get some FDA'ers. The arach wave was ok; pretty fun when they come out as the last couple mancs are still alive. The final encounter was a tricky thing; I thought there would be a cyber when the SS was given, and with the delays there between having finished the arachs and the short wait between SS and invasion, I had time to think about it; wonder, ponder, what was coming... It's not nice to play head games with the player... lol. In all seriousness though, the final wave was a fun little encounter and had a good use of barons, which is always a plus. Kinda blindsided me with the lack of given-ammo there my first time getting to it, as I ran out of everything but bullets on those last two mobs. Of course with this type of setup it is totally possible for the player to block the teleport locations, not aided by the pentagram/tele-markers on the ground right next to where they come in, heh, though I will note that it's good that they ported in slightly off from where the things were on the floor, which makes deliberately trying to block the locations slightly more risky. Not saying I deliberately tried to do that, but it may or may not have happened and I may or may not have noticed it at some point and allowed it to continue by moving so the current set of mobs would continue to block it. Nothing is certain!

Fun map; fun times ^^ A good diversion for <30 minutes of stressful fun without saves for an average Doomer. Prolly a nice-and-easy 5-10 minute map with saves; worth a check!

Hi, i made a thing yesterday:

tnt256rmk.zip

Title: Microsystems

Description: is a "remake" in 256 grid size of TNT's MAP01 System Control

Spoiler

including a own version of the multiplayer cyberdemon as a hell knight in UV

Port: Boom compatible

Build time: 40 minutes, more than less

^

Great idea for a map @Walter confetti. I loved it and it was really close, as you said, to Map1 from TNT, so that is a huge plus. You have a fun map here and I am happy that I played it. It surely payed off for investing your time in making it.  :)

I am working on something, calling it "Pillar of Flesh", open to suggestions for names. 

Here it is so far: 

5915943ff3fc4_PillarofFlesh1.jpg.360582c5498a1acb2360789e55034569.jpg

So far I have a fight with 4 mancubi which will then lead to a puzzle.

1 hour ago, HyperLuke said:

I am working on something, calling it "Pillar of Flesh", open to suggestions for names. 

"Flesh in the Void" ...?

Here's a set of 3 maps for this. Might submit some more. Made over the course of two days, though it didn't take 48 hours. Made for Boom compatible ports.

Titles:

Map01: The Shooting Range

Map02: Tower'in Hell

Map03: Cage 'o' Demon

256x256 Submission 1.zip