Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scwiba

Vanilla crashes when firing weapons?

Question

This might be a well-known limitation, but I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm currently testing a vanilla map in Chocolate Doom and have run into a problem where it will sometimes crash when firing weapons. It seems linked to the size of the map -- whether it's physical size, number of monsters, or something else -- but the crashes started once the map reached a certain size, and it goes away again if I delete sections.

5 answers to this question

Last time I saw that happening, the problematique map was exceeding the BLOCKMAP limit. Check your map in SLADE3 if the size of the BLOCKMAP lump is lesser or greater than 64 KB.

BLOCKMAP blocks always cover the whole bounding box of the whole map, including parts filled by the void. For example, in an L-shaped map with a large area of void in one quadrant, the BLOCKMAP will waste a lot of space by covering the void area by an extremely large number of blocks containing 0 linedefs each. Maximum map area with minimum BLOCKMAP size can be achieved by minimizing the void parts within the map's bounding box, that is, fitting the whole map into a rectangle with as small area as possible and as much of the area filled by sectors rather than the void.

Yep -- 74kb. Is there any way to reduce the size of the BLOCKMAP other than simply making the map smaller?

27 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

BLOCKMAP blocks always cover the whole bounding box of the whole map, including parts filled by the void. For example, in an L-shaped map with a large area of void in one quadrant, the BLOCKMAP will waste a lot of space by covering the void area by an extremely large number of blocks containing 0 linedefs each. Maximum map area with minimum BLOCKMAP size can be achieved by minimizing the void parts within the map's bounding box, that is, fitting the whole map into a rectangle with as small area as possible and as much of the area filled by sectors rather than the void.

Ah, that's super helpful. Thanks, scifista.