Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
souio

Is it kinda pathetic to play 200-300 hours of Doom and wads

I just played the 4 first maps in TNT. In the second map I died once, where the blue key room is (went recklessly inside and got swarmed) and when I replayed it I was at 20 HP at some point, but with a bit of luck I made it past with something like 80 HP. I can say there is an emphasis on hitscanners at the first levels. Other than that, I have to say two things:

1) The soundtrack is perfect. It is not like Doom 1, but it has some nice tracks that take me away to a magical place (where demons want to kill me unfortunately).

2) The 4th map (Wormhole) is, so far, my favourite map from this wad and it stands up with other favourite maps from Doom 1 and 2. I couldn't comprehend that they did time travel in the same map (which was a teleport to another place in reality). Unfortunately, I saved one or two times, but I made it without loading.

And these things I said were irrelevant. But as a whole, I can see TNT becoming really hard in the later levels and it is quite challenging as is now. The further I reached in the past was Map7 or 8 I think (I had only played Doom1 at that time).

Misleading thread title. Was almost triggered there.

I've put thousands of hours easily into Doom and I like to think I'm very decent or 'advanced' player, but by no means an expert even while maining UV (I have next to no experience with -fast on Doom). I understand a majority of the mechanics and exploits, and even then I'll find times where I die very quickly largely due to hitscanners being so unpredictable (and its harder on G/ZDoom because of the fixed blockmap or something so they're more accurate than they would be in more faithful ports).

I know TNT like the back of my hand and I've actually still gotten my ass kicked on Human BBQ if I was too hasty, sometimes it helps to just slow the fuck down and reassess your situation. Not every encounter has to be a bumrush.

Human BBQ is a tricky map in the IWAD's, specifically the room with the backpack in the water area is a bit dickish with the chaingunners that can float along the room and getting ambushed with the pain ele + pinkies. Plus I think you can unleash an additional chaingunner by a shoot trigger on the higher section. You'll be shooting chaingunners that hang out there and randomly unleash another monster closet.

2 minutes ago, Dime said:

Human BBQ is a tricky map in the IWAD's, specifically the room with the backpack in the water area is a bit dickish with the chaingunners that can float along the room and getting ambushed with the pain ele + pinkies. Plus I think you can unleash an additional chaingunner by a shoot trigger on the higher section. You'll be shooting chaingunners that hang out there and randomly unleash another monster closet.

TNT.......which map for me is the hardest......Mount Pain?

1 hour ago, Dime said:

specifically the room with the backpack in the water area is a bit dickish with the chaingunners that can float along the room and getting ambushed with the pain ele + pinkies. Plus I think you can unleash an additional chaingunner by a shoot trigger on the higher section.

lol this was the room that inspired the thread to be made

4 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

TNT.......which map for me is the hardest......Mount Pain?

This, it's hard from the get-go, long to play, and exhausting of health resources.

Yes. Mount Pain is exhausting. Human BBQ can take you a couple of times to get it right. Steel Works and the crushers are a problem, definitely. Doing a pistol-start on Dead Zone (map 15) is a challenge too. Map 19 is TEDIOUS (can't remember the name of the map)...

Doom is never gets old.

BTW after all years I'm still can not properly evade lost soul attacks. My brain rejects the fact that they are actually projectiles.

12 hours ago, 40oz said:

Misleading thread title. Was almost triggered there.

Same. There's no such thing as too much Doom.

14 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

So no, learning a map on HNTR doesn't do much for you when you want to try it on UV.

I've been trying this in my DWMC playthrough of Urania (clearing HNTR, then HMP, then UV in immediate sequence) and it's having a positive effect on the experience. I could use -nomonsters to learn progression, but having a general understanding of where monsters are (and therefore where to expect them on harder difficulties) is similarly useful information. Of course, if you don't trust the difficulty scaling to be remotely close then it's not going to help, but when you're struggling on UV I would at least give it a shot. (And most obviously, this works best with pistol starts in the first place, though if you don't mind tracking two or three different sets of saves...)

On another point, I find that overusing saves depreciates the experience. What this constitutes will vary from player to player, but my threshold of abuse is saving in the middle of an encounter. (Usually. Sometimes encounters last forever, so coming up with a reasonable mid-point is the best compromise.) In general, if you're learning your encounter (that has resulted from a particular arrangement and would be difficult to replicate) and not the encounter, that's unhelpful to learning the level as a whole. As a rule of thumb I suggest keeping your save usage in check, as it can become a very slippery slope without conscious effort: always strive to not save, but if your frustration peaks then consider a checkpoint.

Anyway, the biggest takeaway is that no amount of playing will necessarily prepare you for an unknown challenge, and the best way to become better is to actively seek improvement. Sometimes your experience can carry you through, and sometimes you just gotta learn the level.

Not at all, I have thousands of hours put into the games.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:30 PM, Voros said:

That music though.

I love TNT's unique tracks. Imagine if they had made music for the entire IWAD instead of only some.

I never had any issues with TNT myself. The reason it's easy to die in that map though, is because TNT uses a lot of mapping tricks and monster traps to great effect in order to keep you on your toes, in a way that's what makes the challenge in TNT timeless. TNT will always punish you for being careless