Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

WADs with little ammo

I would like to play some maps that have very limited ammo, but still enough to kill everyone. Maps that force you to aim carefully and use the berserk pack or Chainsaw if you have them.

It isn't that I don't like to blast hordes of enemies with a Plasma Rifle without a second thought, but it would be nice to try something else.

Do megawads count? If so I only know three, but there are more that others can tell...

Speed of Doom has some maps with very little ammo like map21 where the berserk is the star.

Urania's maps are all tight in ammo forcing one to use it cleverly and carefully.

Scythe's maps 21 and 22 are basically ammo-starving, so using the berserk is essential.

Umm, that's all I know

This famous episode for Ultimate Doom matches, more or less, what you have said as long as you play each level from pistol start.

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/16419-double-impact/

And this single map for Doom 2 was infamous for having very scarce ammo.

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/12173-fbase-6-remanasu/

Edit: check this thread as well.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/90898-which-wadmegawad-is-the-tightest-on-ammo/

Edited by Litrivin

Some of the earlier maps in ancient aliens were based on ammo starvation according to skillsaw.

In valiant there's a map called "the popes of roam", where ammo is scare as well.

Quite a few slaughtermaps have surprisingly low ammo counts, which turns them into "infighting puzzles" with heavy emphasis on survival tactics rather than BFG-ing the hell out of the place. Some maps in Sunder can get tight on ammo fast if you're too careless, for example.

nuts.wad has very tight ammo. In fact, it's so tight that you can't UV-Max the map even when maximizing infighting since there aren't enough cells to kill all the Cyberdemons.

You could grab a bunch of WADs (esp. the ones mentioned here) and run them through WadWhat/WadSpy. It has this interesting statistic called the "difficulty ratio", which takes the amount of damage available through ammo and divides it by the total HP of enemies in the level. It's not perfect (doesn't include BFG tracer damage, for instance) but it's a decent measure for precisely what you're seeking.

I will say that, if this isn't already assumed, you'll want to approach everything with pistol start in mind. Even one level that destroy careful ammo balance in a mapset when played continuously.

Not entirely fitting your description, but you might wanna play "redline". Each consecutive map is focused around a new weapon, starting with the berserk pack.

Try Malcolm Sailor's wads. Especially the chord series. 

13 hours ago, Outrageous Videos said:

Chillax has some pretty tight ammo

but that skill range isn't for everyone

I wouldn't count chillax as it is not designed for singleplayer.

23 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

nuts.wad has very tight ammo. In fact, it's so tight that you can't UV-Max the map even when maximizing infighting since there aren't enough cells to kill all the Cyberdemons.

I would play that WAD if I could get more than one frame every ten seconds.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I would play that WAD if I could get more than one frame every ten seconds.

Are you using a ZDoom-based port? Those don't handle ridiculous monster counts nearly as well as GLBoom+. Try that one. I get around 60FPS when the fighting starts on a 7 year old laptop.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Are you using a ZDoom-based port? Those don't handle ridiculous monster counts nearly as well as GLBoom+. Try that one. I get around 60FPS when the fighting starts on a 7 year old laptop.

Last time I tried with ZDoom. I have GLBoom+ installed, actually, so I'll try. Why is ZDoom so "wimpy" for that?

EDIT: Is it because of all the extra stuff on the engine?

Some more classics -

Icarus map 6 and 28

Eternal map 14 (and others)

Hell Revealed map 9

Doom E2M4