Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pan_te

Mirror in Eternity?

Hello. I need help.
Any ideas how to make mirror (substitute for 182:Line_Mirror from ZDoom) in Eternity?

I tried with fake mirrored room and skybox camera, but both gave disappointing effects.

etrn03.png

If EE doesn't support this yet, it should be able to add it relatively simply since it already supports portals. (And a mirror is basically a portal with a flip.)

Why I haven't added them yet: I just don't know yet how to flip the drawing algorithms in an elegant way. Maybe it's easy, dunno.

I didn't mean a feature request. Maybe there's some way, some trick to make it. Something like actor representing player in 'mirrored' sector.

Do you see any possibilities?

On 5/12/2017 at 5:51 PM, pan_te said:

I didn't mean a feature request

Why not? Seems like a nice thing to have, and I don't imagine it to be too complex to add.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:51 PM, pan_te said:

Maybe there's some way, some trick to make it. Something like actor representing player in 'mirrored' sector.

Do you see any possibilities?

Well, I happen to know that an early version of cybie2.wad had an animated texture on the mirrors of Doomguy brushing his teeth. I'm probably one of the few people who have seen it, heh.

But really, no, I don't think you're going to get much better than a fake mirrored room, short of real mirror support. I suppose you could try writing an ACS script that moves a dummy player actor around, translating the position of the real player to be at the equivalent position inside of the fake mirrored room. If you go that route, be sure to disable the script when you're not in the room, that way, your little fake Doomguy won't be going through the entire map wherever you are.

On 2017-05-12 at 4:57 PM, printz said:

Why I haven't added them yet: I just don't know yet how to flip the drawing algorithms in an elegant way. Maybe it's easy, dunno.

https://github.com/raa-eruanna/qzdoom/blob/8af9f56895629f4d35f09df80dff49480b857f7d/src/r_main.cpp#L650-L681

This is really old render code from ZDoom, but it comes from a time when I managed to fix a minor bug in it. The calculations for "mirror flipping" are here. I don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope it does. (I think this highlighted code block was written by ZZYZX, if you need to contact him for anything)

Of course, you still have to render it backwards, but once you get this part down I think the rest will come a little easier. ;)

Edited by Rachael