Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

What's your gameplay style?

Mine is peacefully and carefully, especially when playing a wad for the first time. I like to know the wad and analyse its theme. For example now I'm with Scythe 2 and from the first 3 maps I understand that it's play-style is similar to its prequel but harder, I now see stuff that I saw in Speed of Doom, where Scythe 2 was one of the inspirations. Anyway, I usually choose HMP, and I feel a little more confident I try UV. I use saves frequently, and reload whenever I die or an inevitable death is coming. Umm what else... I never start another Doom wad if I hadn't finnished the one I'm currently playing. Exceptions are Heretic or Hacx for example. 

Ok, let's share shall we?  

Depends on the map in question. I really play in my comfort zone when I have the map routed to a degree that I know what's up at almost any given point in time. At that point it's down to creating infighting if it's worthwhile or killing everything as quickly as possible, while making sure I stay alive by way of target prioritization. Forcing "duck and cover" gameplay based on low-tier hitscans on me is nothing I find sufferable for extended periods of time. I also tend to play quite reckless at times, especially in freewheeling slaughters I have little to no hesitation to use my health as a resource for overall clearspeed, if the circumstances allow for that. If I need to play it safe, I play it safe with occasional, minor outbursts of aggression when given a chance. I like it when I can hold the trigger down, or when there's lots of dodging going on, preferably both at once.

I can't play slow for long periods of time, I hate that. I will always try and be somewhat fast, and that's why I look for ways to make that happen. I need some pressure to keep me interested in a map to begin with.

I only use saves for practicing specific spots in a map for consistency. I consider a map beat if I can make a full run happen in a single go on UV, and I don't hesitate to try absurd stuff on NM difficulty for shits and giggles, or bash my head against chillax maps for the sport of it. I don't dial the difficulty down, I dial my efforts up.

I don't think I have much of a discernible style that is distinctly my own, nor any particularly pronounced talents or weaknesses which might grant me unusual advantages/disadvantages in given cases. Generally, speed for its own sake (as in minimizing completion time) is not something I instinctively pursue, and so I generally just adapt to whatever a given map or set seems to ask of me, so slower and more casual sets go more slowly and casually, and more demanding maps/sets are handled more actively as circumstances warrant.

I have been told that I tend to find more secrets than the 'average' user, though to whatever extent this might be true I'd hold it's not due to any unusual nose for them or anything of the sort, as it is that I'm simply more willing to expend time/effort in the search than many others are.

Edit: Oh yes, and as Nine Inch Heels says, "I don't dial the difficulty down, I dial my efforts up." This is generally the attitude I take as well, since my goal as a player has always been simply to keep myself from being entirely locked out of a given WAD (or broader style of WAD) by way of skill ceiling, a commitment which of course periodically has to be paid in sweat, blood, and tears (though I'd never admit to the latter :D). However, I think that the current community these days is a lot more conscious of the applications of skill settings than it often was in the past, and so perhaps this kind of attitude (for my purposes) is in some ways outdated and unnecessary in the here and now.

Edited by Demon of the Well

I fight in the open and run right in. Traps I fight the hardcore way by walking right into them. If a map is designed around letting me run out of ammo or starving me for health, then I eventually die and usually give up on the mod. Save games are not invented here. :)

I don't know if this is exactly my gameplay style, but here is what I do.

1) Open wad of choice

2) Get in the battlefield "all guns blazing"

3) From there, either finish map or die

4) Form a battle plan if you die in step 3)

5) Follow it by letter and you have either success or death (or a close call, in which case, I retreat and think of another plan)

6) Replay the map until you "Kill em all"

7) Once everything is dead, search map thoroughly for secrets, before going to the next map

8) During the previous steps, add extreme ammo conservation and you are ready to go

9) Saving, not that much now, as I am trying to not depend on them continuously

That is how I play most of the time. I enjoy both slow and fast gameplay, although I am more used to slow (a middle solution is great). And the best feeling for me is when the music and level seem to merge inside my mind. Then I feel like I warped inside the level (so different from anything else I have seen).

I guess you could characterize it as what I'd call a "NES gamer" mentality.  If I've decided I'm determined to beat a map, I'll generally grind at it with repeated attempts until I've memorized things to the point that I have the right response ready for whatever situation arises.  Pistol restarts as needed, savescumming in Doom just kills the flow of it and turns things into gaming the dice rather than building skills.  I'll save if I'm running through a megawad and need a break though (and given vanilla/chocolate, sometimes end up pistol restarting afterwards thanks to that one savegame bug...) I'm also not too proud to play a lower difficulty setting, especially given how far out UV settings tend to be nowadays.

Outside of that, quick and aggressive when I'm feeling confident (i.e. I either know what happens in a particular part or I don't feel that there's any trap impending) or slow and paranoid when I'm low on health, unfamiliar with an area, hitscanners everywhere or something's just plain suspicious.  Chaingunners and arch-viles top the "must die NOW" list, often getting the SSG and BFG respectively even if that's a bit overkill.  I can be a little miserly too, taking the time to swap from the SSG to the pump-action for the last shot on a badly wounded enemy, or for small numbers of imps/zombies, or using berserk/chainsaw on pinkies sometimes.  Depends some on how generous the map is on ammo though.  Sometimes I'll straferun or wallrun to make traversing a big area less tedious, or try to do a bump-grab on an item I really want, but otherwise I don't really bother to try to speedrun levels per se, nor do I worry too much about doing max runs though finding secrets is always satisfying when I do find them.  I also exploit the "infinitely tall rocket explosions" quirk, given the chance.

I generally take it slower except when the number of enemies and their placement dictate otherwise.  Going slower allows me to savor and appreciate both the gameplay, as well as the effort that the mapper put into the architecture.  Slowing down is also nice as it's not always BALLS-TO-THE-WALL-120MPH-ACTION, which gets tedious and stressful for me.  Exploration and atmosphere are always more important to me.

The shotgun/double barrelled shotgun are my go-to weapons and I almost never use anything else unless it's a very hairy situation.  If I do switch, it's likely to the chaingun to stun certain enemies.

Generally I aim to kill at least 90% of the monsters in a map, otherwise it feels unfinished to me.  Secrets are nice, but I don't go out of my way to find them.

Unless it's an extremely tough map, I don't save often.  Pretty much just at the start, and before keyed doors or suspicious switches.  But if it's very tough, I might save after every fight until I get used to the map.  I always play on UV and don't ever back the difficulty off.  Rather, I work on my skills to beat an area, using saves as a tool just until I get my skill level higher.

If there aren't any hitscanners around, I usually just run in and shoot at anything that moves without a second thought.

I play in UV only if I know the map or if the author insists in that it's the recommended difficulty, otherwise I just play in HMP. I save as often as my "instinct" tells me to. On easier maps saves are really far away from each other (which as lead me to die in an ambush and losing 20 minutes of progress) and in harder maps I save as often as I can.

From what I've wrote you probably think that I don't like challenges, but that isn't entirely true. In randomized games I turn up the difficulty and I keep trying until I succed (e.g. I love playing Battlefield 2 in Single Player on Veteran difficulty) but I can't find the fun in doing the same thing over and over.

I have a very "duck and cover", quicksave-heavy play style, usually on HMP. Maps full of shotgun guys ambushing you around corners don't bother me at all (and I love Wolfenstein, whose hitscanners make shotgun guys look like cuddly kittens), but exposure maps where there are few or no safe zones and projectiles coming in constantly are likely to stress me out and eventually make me quit or reach for the ~ key. "Dungeon crawler" maps with thick atmosphere, complex layouts, and a focus on close-quarters incidental combat with the occasional short but lethal ambush are my favorites. Slowly inching my way through labyrinthine, moldering gothic ruins, soaking in the mood of desolation and SSGing revenants and hell knights right in the face is totally my speed.

I like to use the environment to my advantage and to provoke infighting when- and wherever possible. If there aren't any hitscanners or tricky crossfire, I like going up close and personal.

I always play on UV, even if the readme says it's for masochists/doom gods. I always play continuously and with savegames, because I don't like replaying stuff all over again if I die, and I like to view the game as an continuous journey rather than just a random set of levels. I usually only load if I die, though, because where's the fun in savescumming through everything? I forget to save from time to time, especially on easier maps, so I have to replay some parts of the levels from time to time anyway. I also like to try different approaches to situations or just plain seeing if I can get away with some risky/stupid move, so using saves is a must.

For my answer.....it really depends of the map's situation and the layout. If there's ammo shortage, then going bit by bit is the solution. If there's a lot of ammo and health, then apply the trigger happy tactic. If there's no way to clear the level, like slaughterfest maps, then there's 2 options. Cheat or pick an OP mod :D. Also, in rare cases, I can be a save-spammer if the situation requires for such action :)

On 13.5.2017 at 2:07 AM, KVELLER said:

I play in UV only if I know the map or if the author insists in that it's the recommended difficulty

I'd argue that in most cases UV is the recommended difficulty, unless the readme says otherwise...

16 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'd argue that in most cases UV is the recommended difficulty, unless the readme says otherwise...

Forgot to say that I always chose UV or the equivalent of that skill...

I love to separate weapons uses between the monster tiers since my aiming is so bad I can't take multiple imps at once with SSG.

I'll play hide 'n seek with the monsters and when I get bored of playing so slowly and carefully either I'll stop playing entirely or go IDDQD/IDFA and just go ham.

On 21/5/2017 at 1:33 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Well, some map creators go nuts with the difficulty (no pun intended) sometimes, and to avoid rage I prefer to play it safe.

I usually like to play blind, so usually slow, safe gameplay with save-scumming. On UV, 'cuz pride.

I've been experimenting with legit UV-maxes, though, so this might change in the near future...

Something so far no player has mentioned: Roleplaying.

Yeah, I like to get into the spirit of the person I am playing as. Is my player character a gritty rough-sounding marine shouting in jargons and performing according to rules of engagement in closed and open places? Is my player character a survivor trying to scrap up as most items as possible while trying to get hold of the enemy first? Is my player character a scaredy coward who is just "that skilled enough" to know how to shoot a gun but not to point it? Or is my player character a colorful dubstep-blasting party guy who "plays for the points" and calls everything a "dude" unless it bites him until it gets a name of a "bitch" and a fistful of plasma charges?

Depends on my mood and the mood the map sets. Alternatively, gameplay-altering mods also have a great impact on my gameplay, in which this case the "soldiers" perform tactical reloads and try to check every corner before reporting to the (imaginary) HQ. Alternatively, "survivors" make sure nothing gets left behind, and are cheap on ammo, while "party guys" and "gunslingers" do their gun-fu and dance-fight their way through a room, no matter the ammo count and health points.

i have this "hooah i can handle this with much aggression and little planning " attitude that tends to bite me in the ass when the map has serious traps, or fights that need a more thinking approach. that's why i like watching players who are better at reading the map flow and improvising. many maps seem simple once i know them, but my first playthrough is not always something to be proud of, when there's some difficulty involved.

Dance between baddies while shooting them in the face\Back, Not circle strafing but dodging slowly to maximize infight damage. If a room has so much shit that this is impossible I play it for a bit and if it remains like that I close it and go play something else, Circle Strafing while holding mouse 1 isn't what I want in my Doom.

If it is one that I am not very familiar with I take it at a medium pace and be cautious with my ammo.

If I am familiar with it then I set my pace according to how the enemies are, Mostly just guns blazing. 

I never bother with getting 100/100/100%. The levels should leave some mysteries in them...

I tend to play carefully but when i need to i can get really agressive 

I know many of the WADs reccomend that you play on UV but considering how good i am at Doom i tend to stick at Hurt Me Plenty,i dont think im quite ready for UV yet