Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Why hasn't anyone done a playthrough of Doom with Sandy or Tom?

Actually, I know why. John Romero's the charismatic one with beautimus hair and has always been the face of old school id. That and perhaps people have asked Sandy or Tom before and they declined.

Still, wouldn't it be nice to see somebody do a playthrough of episodes 2 and 3 or Doom 2 with Sandy, or  a look at the alphas with Tom, or better yet, getting all three of them together at the same time? Although in the third case I kind of picture Tom just sitting there silently and looking sad for the whole thing.

Edited by Marnetstapler

I'd love some kind of original id Software reunion stream or something where they all sit down and play Doom together and reminisce about development and commentate about the game. That would literally be the coolest thing I would ever be able to see.

Someone should try to make this happen. I love hearing Romero's perspective and design philosophy on Doom and would love it if we could get more of this from the rest of the team.

who´s Sandy`?  who´s tom?  (Developers?  I had these "react to Doom" Videos in mind..^^)

- happily do a playthrough with them, probably rather a playthrough with me coz I dont remember anything about D1 middle episodes---ok D2 i guess Id remember,...even I tried so hard to forget.. btw - what exactly do you understand by "playthrough"? ^

7 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

Although in the third case I kind of picture Tom just sitting there silently and looking sad for the whole thing.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the title. "Because it would make Tom sad..."

seriously thought in first moment its 2 kids maybe - in youtube I learned most people weren´t even born when the game came out...and you never can show em doom too early, no? :) .. "so organize some "playthrough" and tell em all they should know to stop wrong descissions in life,..playing on FB or running through higschools or alike..." thats how my thoughts went on..

...and no never heard the names - Romero and Carmack didnt do this alone?^

^ You need to clean up your posts ;) it's pretty messy.

And no, the Johns didn't make it alone.

13 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

Actually, I know why. John Romero's the charismatic one with beautimus hair and has always been the face of old school id. That and perhaps people have asked Sandy or Tom before and they declined.

Still, wouldn't it be nice to see somebody do a playthrough of episodes 2 and 3 or Doom 2 with Sandy, or  a look at the alphas with Tom, or better yet, getting all three of them together at the same time? Although in the third case I kind of picture Tom just sitting there silently and looking sad for the whole thing.

Your own answer is the correct one. Romero was pretty much the face of the company during that time. Everyone looked to him for these sort of things. I dont really know who Sandy or Tom really are, besides the fact they made some of the levels.

13 hours ago, Nevander said:

I'd love some kind of original id Software reunion stream or something where they all sit down and play Doom together and reminisce about development and commentate about the game. That would literally be the coolest thing I would ever be able to see.

This sadly cant happen, due to the fact that John Romero and John Carmack hate each other.

You need to clean up your posts ;) it's pretty messy.

iknow...so sry about that.. :(

And no, the Johns didn't make it alone.

ok for the paperwork -makes sense^^

but whatever they done exactly, they helped to develop and actually never played it?  uhm..guess they had their reasons then, so why pushing ?

John Romero and John Carmack hate each

thats very sad to hear...

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

This sadly cant happen, due to the fact that John Romero and John Carmack hate each other.

Why? Wtf happened?

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

How can you say with certainty that they "hate each other"? Only they can say that, and even if it's true they'll never say it publicly.

19 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Why? Wtf happened?

Any major source of tension would probably be Romero's resignation (and the events leading up to it) from id in 1996.

Just now, Blastfrog said:

How can you say with certainty that they "hate each other"? Only they can say that, and even if it's true they'll never say it publicly.

Any major source of tension would probably be Romero's resignation (and the events leading up to it) from id in 1996.

Its...pretty well known. After all, John Carmack fired John Romero and pretty much changed ID completely. while you're right, I cant say it with certainty, I believe if it was possible it would have happened already.

How does that translate to hating each other right now, 21 years later? You're making completely baseless assertions.

As for reunion streams, I suspect that Carmack (a) cares more about his VR, rocketry, and other work than his past at Id, (b) isn't the sort of person who likes to participate in flashy media stunts, and (c) is not on good terms with Bethesda, who own Id Software and whose marketing department would control such a stream (remember that the Bethesda/Oculus drama is happening now, not two decades ago). As for the others, I have no idea, but it's been a long, long time since the last classic Doom release and they've all moved on with their lives and done other things.

My suggestion of some kind of reunion stream was one not to be done out of any official capacity but rather done as "buddies getting together" and talking about their old game together. Bethesda has no right to say they can or can't do that. If somehow they can, then mark that down as another item on the list of "things that make me lose faith in humanity."

31 minutes ago, Nevander said:

My suggestion of some kind of reunion stream was one not to be done out of any official capacity but rather done as "buddies getting together" and talking about their old game together. Bethesda has no right to say they can or can't do that. If somehow they can, then mark that down as another item on the list of "things that make me lose faith in humanity."

Not necessarily. They could shut it down for having Tom Hall in it from it seeing as Doom has many halls and Bethesda needs to protect their IP.

Edited by Marnetstapler

I love the idea of more media from the original Id Software guys. I did an interview with Tom on WXR that was long before I had the credentials or experience to do it. I'm not even sure if I'm at all qualified to do it now. Tom is certainly a very charismatic and a genuinely fun guy. I've seriously considered inviting him to the show again to cover stuff that wasn't discussed as thoroughly on that episode.

The trouble is that the stakes are high. From experience, it can affect the natural flow of the conversation to bombard him with too many questions. I know how important it is for everyone here to squeeze all the information out of him as humanly possible so the episode doesn't end with any questions left unanswered. I personally dont have many questions for him, so a "What we don't know about Doom" type thread would be really useful for me. The last one that MrGlide made was mostly people answering each others questions with very plausible speculation. So I'm not sure what else there is to know besides his opinion on some stuff.

I'd like to talk with Sandy, Adrian Carmack, and/or Bobby Prince some time. I'm not sure where to find either of them as they dont seem to be on social media as far as I know. (Though truthfully I didn't look very hard because I wasn't planning on setting up this type of show this week)

I'd like to work on my radio show hosting skills a little more before I dive into something like this again though.

1 hour ago, 40oz said:

"What we don't know about Doom" type thread would be really useful for me

Here you go sir!

1 hour ago, 40oz said:

they dont seem to be on social media as far as I know.

Sandy has a Twitter account IIRC. Dunno about the other two.

edit: 900th post omg i should tune my shitposting down

Edited by bzzrak

9 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

Not necessarily. They could shut it down for having Tom Hall in it from it seeing as Doom has many halls and Bethesda needs to protect their IP.

Protect from what? It's not like they're attempting to make money off a stream if monetization is not even used for this...

On 5/15/2017 at 0:19 AM, Glaice said:

Protect from what? It's not like they're attempting to make money off a stream if monetization is not even used for this...

The joke

----------

Your head

Tom Hall has a twitter (@ThatTomHall) I've asked him a few things in the past related to Doom.

I asked if he would ever make a Doom level, or at least consider it, he says he has, but just doesn't have the time atm. So i'd say he'd be busy, especially since he and his team are likely working on another mobile game, after the Gordon Ramsey kitchen mobile game, and the obvious personal issues.

I can't really say I see any signs of loathing between Carmack and Romero these days. I'm sure there was some during quake, but id and Romero seemed to be on okay grounds even afterwards, as he used quake's engine with Daikatana, and I remember him talking about how cool things in Quake II were like the colored lighting in the GL renderer. During the co-op doom E1 video he did with some game site (don't remember which one off the top of my head), a relatively recent thing, he mentioned that he still finds Carmack to be one of the smartest people he knows. Certainly that's a weird thing for a man who hates someone to say about that individual.

In any case, I'd love to hear from Sandy and Tom about all of this, even if Tom wasn't there to the end. Sandy has talked about Doom some in the intervening years. When he did Ask Sandyman for the AOE2 community the occasional Doom question came in, and he later answered plenty of those questions with his AmA a while back, but we've never heard too much more about doom from him other than those occasional bits.