Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swine & Roses

Heads-Up: 'Alan Wake' getting removed from stores

It just came to my attention that survival horror gem 'Alan Wake' gets pulled from sale indefinitely, due to expiring music licenses.

Which is unfortunate, because it's such a good game (in my opinion). In case there are still people out there who haven't played it, here's your chance.

Both Steam and GOG currently sell it at a discount, but only till Monday. After that it's gone for good.

Just thought some people might care.

Thanks for your attention, you may now continue with your pathetic lives. :D

Stupid bloody licenses always screwing stuff up like this. Good thing I already have both Alan Wake games so far.

Edited by Glaice

1 hour ago, Swine & Roses said:

you may now continue with your pathetic lives

D:

53 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Stupid bloody licenses always screwing stuff up like this.

Agreed. I don't know why something like this forces a game to be removed from stores, why can't the initial license or agreement be for a small fraction of the profit of a sale instead of a duration of allowed use of a music piece? Or why can't they just patch the game and remove that particular song and replace it with something else, or why can't they renew the license?

In this case I think they should give it away until then, because if it's going to be unbuyable then they might as well be generous.

It's been awhile, but I don't remember it being bad. It's like if Stephen King made a video game.

I can say it's an..interesting game in a neutral to positive manner.

The first time I tried it was probably in late 2014, I played it for like a few minutes before I dropped it and didn't go back to since, I just didn't enjoy it a whole lot.

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

Agreed. I don't know why something like this forces a game to be removed from stores, why can't the initial license or agreement be for a small fraction of the profit of a sale instead of a duration of allowed use of a music piece? Or why can't they just patch the game and remove that particular song and replace it with something else, or why can't they renew the license?

Music rights are even more fucking screwy than video game rights, and those are really messy already. Licensing music is also expensive. It's the same thing with movie license deals or book author deals, and especially car brands! Racing games get pulled like crazy due to expiring car brand license deals.

Aliens Vs Predator, Deadpool and Clive Barker's Jericho all got pulled from Steam at one point. AvP and Deadpool came back, but Jericho didn't. Probably because that one was plagued with problems and had poor sales whereas AvP and Deadpool are decent games that still sell, so the rights holder must have found renewing the license to be worth it.

Remedy's options are to rip the licensed music out, fork over the cash to renew the music licenses, or keep it off the store forever, which would be a sad choice to make for such a great game. They mentioned when they agreed on the licenses for Alan Wake it was before Digital Distribution really took off, and when they did it for American Nightmare the agreement was with that in mind. Thus, only Alan Wake is being taken down, not American Nightmare. They also mentioned they'll try and get the game back up on stores, but they don't know when. 

8 hours ago, Avoozl said:

In this case I think they should give it away until then, because if it's going to be unbuyable then they might as well be generous.

It's 90% off. That practically is giving it away.