Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UltimaPlayer12

Question about legality

I know the title is weird, but bare with me. I'm learning how to make maps, using SLADE3. I've never done anything like this, and don't know what the licensing behind Doom is like. But I'm curious as to whether it is legal to re-distribute a map I am making, based on Dead Simple. The reason I ask is because I am using the original map as a base, and building on to it. I believe other WADs have done this, but I wanted to ask where people are more likely familiar with this kind of thing. I don't know that I ever -will- release this, as it's obviously very amateur work, but if I would want to I would like to know if there could be any problems with it. Thanks!

If people can make entire TCs of the Playstation maps and Doom 64 in full, you're pretty safe doing just a single map based on an original Doom 2 map. The only problem is you probably won't be able to upload it to idgames.

7 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The only problem is you probably won't be able to upload it to idgames.

Is there a rule now against these kind of WADs due to overuse? I'll likely host it elsewhere, but it'd be cool if eventually I got a map up on idgames.

1 hour ago, UltimaPlayer12 said:

Is there a rule now against these kind of WADs due to overuse?

The rule has always been there, and the reason is probably a combination of overuse (yes, since the beginnings of existence of mapping) and copyright infringement.

I've made some maps inspired by Dead Simple in design but aren't a modified version of it which are on /idgames/. As long as it's original mapwork and not built off of MAP07, you should be fine.

I'm wondering how strict these rules actually are. Take Community Chest 4 as an example, it's on idgames and includes cc4-tex, which itself includes doom1 textures such as GRAYDANG, NUKESLAD or SLADRIP1.

Another example would be d1gfxd2.wad, which also can be found on idgames.

According to the FAQ, uploading unmodified parts from any IWAD isn't okay? 

I'm mainly wondering because I planned to use those textures in my next wad.

Edited by torekk

Thanks for the help and information guys, like I said I'm pretty new to this whole thing and wasn't exactly sure where to start so I figured coming here was a good option. I'll probably stick to ModDB and similar sites for this kind of WAD!