Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mArt1And00m3r11339

Uploading a file to idgames

Well the obvious answer to that is to remove said unmodified resource. It's all outlined in the FAQ, "11. What will be rejected?": 

In fairness, this is your issue to fix. Have you included any IWAD textures, sounds or anything else in your wad? Remove it to allow it to be accepted.

58 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

What unmodified resource does this have in it? You didn't specify the solution to my issue.

At a glance, you have some IWAD textures. I can't specify a solution to your own issue, I didn't make your WAD (or rather, I didn't point out the solution, but it's not like I can fix it for you).

13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

At a glance, you have some IWAD textures. I can't specify a solution to your own issue, I didn't make your WAD (or rather, I didn't point out the solution, but it's not like I can fix it for you).

I wouldn't be asking you to fix it for me anyways.

38 minutes ago, Bauul said:

In fairness, this is your issue to fix. Have you included any IWAD textures, sounds or anything else in your wad? Remove it to allow it to be accepted.

If you look at wads designed by Chris Balch ("TimeOfDeath"), he uses a lot of DOOM2 textures and not a whole lot of textures from different texture packs. Another thing is that I've downloaded wads from /idgames and most of them use the same sounds for the enemies as the original Doom 2 and they still got accepted to the archives.

To note, of course you can use textures from IWADs, a lot of existing maps would be impossible without. The issue here is you have copies of them in your PWAD, which you don't need.

Ok so I took a look at your wad.  I'm afraid it has some pretty critical problems.

1. You have a load of IWAD textures included in your wad.  For example, just the third one down, TOMW2_1, is a completely unedited version of the vanilla texture.  Including that in your PWAD and then sharing it for free is basically theft.  Remove it and all other vanilla textures before trying to reupload.

2. You appear to have included hundreds of custom textures that you're not using.  This is a gross waste of space and resources, and the fact you're including them and not even mentioning who the author(s) are in your readme is pretty terrible.

I would strongly urge you to go back into your wad and delete everything you're not using in the map, and any and all IWAD assets.  If, as you say in your readme, you're genuinely not using any custom graphics, then you can just delete every single texture in the PWAD and you should be fine (and the Textures lumps too).

I'd suggest reading up on good PWAD management before trying to re-upload.

Sorry, a total noob here.

So what are you guys trying to say is this guy is using more than 1 iwads other than doom2.wad as resources? I kinda confused..

2 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Sorry, a total noob here.

So what are you guys trying to say is this guy is using more than 1 iwads other than doom2.wad as resources? I kinda confused..

No, he has unedited IWAD resources in his PWAD:

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

To note, of course you can use textures from IWADs, a lot of existing maps would be impossible without. The issue here is you have copies of them in your PWAD, which you don't need.

No, he's taken assets from the Doom 2 IWAD and copied them into his own wad (personal wads are called PWADs, if that's what was confusing you). You don't need to do this to get your wads to run, and it's also illegal. There should be absolutely no IWAD assets in anyone's PWAD.

Edit: Ah, ninjad by Edward!

I looked into mArt1And00m3r11339's wad, and it contains just copies of some cc4-tex and Slaughterfest 2012 resources. I don't think it was justified to reject the wad due to containing unmodified id software resources, as both of the abovementioned wads are already on /idgames anyway. That said, the file that was rejected from /idgames was named just "IR", and the file that mArt1And00m3r11339 posted in this thread is named "IR_Final", so maybe their content is actually different and the former wad did contain unmodified id software resources.

Yup, I think this is where I am quitting. I would love to upload my Ice Rage level to /idgames but the issue is all of the stupid rules that take place. I'd rather just store my wad on MediaFire like usual or find another place to upload my wad. If the server were to specify what unmodified resource is being used in the level, then I would not have an issue fixing it.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

I looked into mArt1And00m3r11339's wad, and it contains just copies of some cc4-tex and Slaughterfest 2012 resources. I don't think it was justified to reject the wad due to containing unmodified id software resources, as both of the abovementioned wads are already on /idgames anyway. That said, the file that was rejected from /idgames was named just "IR", and the file that mArt1And00m3r11339 posted in this thread is named "IR_Final", so maybe their content is actually different and the former wad did contain unmodified id software resources.

The only thing that is different between IR and IR_Final is that I unpegged the tops and bottoms of buildings in IR_Final.

1 hour ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Yup, I think this is where I am quitting. I would love to upload my Ice Rage level to /idgames but the issue is all of the stupid rules that take place. I'd rather just store my wad on MediaFire like usual or find another place to upload my wad. If the server were to specify what unmodified resource is being used in the level, then I would not have an issue fixing it.

If you feel as though the rejection was an error, you should be contacting the /idgames administration about it. Posting about it here doesn't accomplish much, all we are going to be able to tell you is what rule you broke.

Also I would suggest smarter wad management next time. You should never be in a situation where you don't know what you put into your wad. That's reckless.

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

If you feel as though the rejection was an error, you should be contacting the /idgames administration about it. Posting about it here doesn't accomplish much, all we are going to be able to tell you is what rule you broke.

Also I would suggest smarter wad management next time. You should never be in a situation where you don't know what you put into your wad. That's reckless.

I'm not blaming you for this. I just wanted to know why I am getting an unmodified resources error.

I feel like this discussion is about to go in circles, but - considering how much content there is on /idgames that includes tenfold more IWAD resources than this, I have no idea why it's being rejected, seems very random. That said, Bauul and Edward are giving you excellent advice that I recommend you take in: it's a terrible idea to have loads of textures in your wad 99% of which you don't use. It may not seem like much, but 6 megs is absolutely enormous for a single-map wad.

Use SLADE or XWE or something and get rid of that ~4meg of unused content, including the iwad textures, and try uploading again. Not having it on /idgames would be a shame as the map actually looks very nice, but if you really can't be bothered to make the recommended improvements/optimizations, just upload it to doomshack.org. You'll be provided with a link that won't expire and people won't need to wade through a bunch of ads or random buttons or whatever that other filehosting sites like MediaFire and such are plagued with.

27 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I feel like this discussion is about to go in circles, but - considering how much content there is on /idgames that includes tenfold more IWAD resources than this, I have no idea why it's being rejected, seems very random. That said, Bauul and Edward are giving you excellent advice that I recommend you take in: it's a terrible idea to have loads of textures in your wad 99% of which you don't use. It may not seem like much, but 6 megs is absolutely enormous for a single-map wad.

Use SLADE or XWE or something and get rid of that ~4meg of unused content, including the iwad textures, and try uploading again. Not having it on /idgames would be a shame as the map actually looks very nice, but if you really can't be bothered to make the recommended improvements/optimizations, just upload it to doomshack.org. You'll be provided with a link that won't expire and people won't need to wade through a bunch of ads or random buttons or whatever that other filehosting sites like MediaFire and such are plagued with.

I think I will follow your advice. I think doomshack.org is going to be the new platform for my levels. 

2 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I'm not blaming you for this.

I never said nor implied you were. Again, if you feel the rejection was in error, you need to take it up with the /idgames management.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I feel like this discussion is about to go in circles, but - considering how much content there is on /idgames that includes tenfold more IWAD resources than this, I have no idea why it's being rejected, seems very random. 

I have a suspicion the idgames guys run an automatic scan of any incoming wads. If it finds any lumps that are the same name and exact same size as any IWAD assets, they kick it out.

I suspect this is relatively recent, which is why a load of older wads slipped through, and newer ones are more strict.