Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Oh, I guess you had yet to learn that Doom 64 also can't even apply glows or gradient lighting from a 3D floor. I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news here.

The point of my project was to do away with the hacky instant floor/ceiling raise/lower tricks that the original used. I was under the impression if support for the lighting was ever added, it would a) be changable with ACS mid-map and b) work with 3D floors (the area underneath the 3D floor gets the lighting, or inside if restrict is set). This sort of kills the point of even using the gradient lighting in sectors in which 3D floors are used unless it can become supported, because I am NOT going to undo 3D floors in favor of more uneccesary scripting just so the lighting works in those sectors, plus I have already cleaned up and removed a lot of the thin sectors the original maps used for hiding the gaps. Don't blame me for getting upset when this should have been supported already.

The point is that these things are not present in Doom 64 and so you shouldn't hope that native Doom 64 support would bring it. It's not going to.

You want new features, make a feature suggestion thread. It's what they're there for.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

We don't see the need to speed up this project when we're seeing progress in Master Edition Doom, thanks to you guys, although there are two of them complaining here, that's sad but it doesn't matter...

Good to know that my concerns about a project I'm contributing to don't matter. All I want is the option to allow others in the community to play test my levels and ensure they're as bug-free and awesome as possible when a full release is put together. What if someone has suggestions about texturing, or monster usage, or light colors that will improve the levels? A collaborative approach is nearly always better when it comes to a project like that.

No, you misunderstood my words or I even expressed myself not that well. We care about all of your concerns, but dramatic posts like all above have gave you the chance to express what you feel about our project. But then again, we just take our time. I also am very sad about all of the drama here, it's so stupid. Judging without knowing our own future devices.

Edited by Gerardo194

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You want new features, make a feature suggestion thread. It's what they're there for.

He's banned from ZDoom.

16 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Last time I looked, Nevander appeared as Banned User in ZDoom forums.

17 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Why? When did this happen?

I "banned" myself. lol

Deleted my picture and changed my title to that.

Reminds me of the time when I made a post that was the same as the text that shows up when a user on your Ignore list posts. At least one person clicked on what they thought was the "unignore" link.

I wanted to say a suggestion, in the sample video of final doom psx, the sound of the chaingun does not have the echo effect, I mean the reverberated effect, that if it has doom psx tc and that it has the doom psx original, it is possible to add that effect for doom psx gec, plus the sound of the doom 64 chaingun does not have the trembling effect that had doom 64 originally

Friend, those videos were recorded, in older versions of the project, currently the chaingun has the effect of trembling, with respect to the echoes of psx I have some personalized echoes, although in reality psx doom has 5 different echoes in use, in all the game.

I'm legitimately excited for this. 

My biggest gripe with D64EX is that you can't really mod it beyond custom levels- this is going to have modern DECORATE support and all that, right??

Better and better, still very much hyped for this.

But until it's finished, there's the D64 community chest.

We are finally done! I still remember when this started years ago, or maybe it was just yesterday. Good to see we just released it. Check the OP guys!

MK11, BloodEX, and now GEC Doom 64 & PSX Doom?

Boy oh boy, can't wait to check this out when I come back.

Hope you have fun with it!!! If you encounter some bugs or weird things, don't hesitate to tell us! 

I'm also waiting for those games you mentioned above.

This has officially made 2018 one of the best years in my life.

Great job guys!

*GEC intensifies*

Okay, so, on a more serious note, I've had some fun with the PSX Doom (Ultimate Doom) side and it's pretty awesome. However, some improvements can be made. For instance, I'm playing Doom in 1080p usually and the first thing I've noticed almost immediately was that the menus do not render on the whole screen, unless you force the aspect ratio to 4:3 (that also makes it resemble the vertically squished look of the actual console version).

Other than that, I think it would be pretty welcome to either have a more faithful configuration of the game set by default, or an optional readme included with the download for things you might want to adjust in order to make it resemble the console version more closely, such as disabled rocket trails, fuzz effect on translucent, automap colors on traditional doom, etc. Most things I've found on this topic for the PSX Doom TC can be applied to GEC, particularly that PSXDOOM.CFG section with some cvars (however many of those are not actually needed since those changes are already present). I could probably write one but since I've never owned the console certain mistakes or inaccuracies might slip through. Here's that Steam topic.

I'll check the Doom 64 side sometime later today or soon enough, but for now that's all I have to say. And a question, is running supposed to be so fast? It definitely feels faster than the PC counterpart.

@Cacodemon345 this was already posted at ZDoom Forums, check it out! :)

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

*GEC intensifies*

Okay, so, on a more serious note, I've had some fun with the PSX Doom (Ultimate Doom) side and it's pretty awesome. However, some improvements can be made. For instance, I'm playing Doom in 1080p usually and the first thing I've noticed almost immediately was that the menus do not render on the whole screen, unless you force the aspect ratio to 4:3 (that also makes it resemble the vertically squished look of the actual console version).

Other than that, I think it would be pretty welcome to either have a more faithful configuration of the game set by default, or an optional readme included with the download for things you might want to adjust in order to make it resemble the console version more closely, such as disabled rocket trails, fuzz effect on translucent, automap colors on traditional doom, etc. Most things I've found on this topic for the PSX Doom TC can be applied to GEC, particularly that PSXDOOM.CFG section with some cvars (however many of those are not actually needed since those changes are already present). I could probably write one but since I've never owned the console certain mistakes or inaccuracies might slip through. Here's that Steam topic.

I'll check the Doom 64 side sometime later today or soon enough, but for now that's all I have to say. And a question, is running supposed to be so fast? It definitely feels faster than the PC counterpart.

We are unable to play Doom in 1080p in our current PC, anyways, we can check this up in our laptop and have it fixed.

This project is previously configured, so you don't need to set things up to make it look similar to the original game. If any user wants to see any GZDoom features on it, it can be easily done (unless there is no issue) by adjusting it in configuration settings :)

Yes, PSXDoomguy is faster than his PC counterpart.

20 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

This project is previously configured, so you don't need to set things up to make it look similar to the original game. If any user wants to see any GZDoom features on it, it can be easily done (unless there is no issue) by adjusting it in configuration settings :)

I know, but that seems to mostly be the basic stuff (right compatibility settings, sector lightning, fog turned off, etc.), whereas others are not (like the previously mentioned rocket trails, translucency, messages position, automap configuration, melt screen, and so on. Seems some of those things are set to GZDoom's defaults that still ship up to this day rather than being modified by the mod authors), that's the kind of stuff I referred to (felt I was misunderstood). Y'know that saying, the Devil is in the details xd.

Still, it's great to finally be able to play PSX Doom much more faithfully. And no more screwed weapon models, their size and position is crap in the TC (well better than nothing I guess), or much tinier looking items if you decide to use the PSX versions, you could see some of those issues in that Steam topic. I guess the TC has just been rendered obsolete overall, apart from the Lost Levels (or do they work with GEC?). Still, justice given where justice is due, for years the TC was pretty much the best (and only) way to experience PSX Doom on PC outside of emulators.

I finally understood what you wanted to say, you wish the opitions for this project can be GZDoom's default and the user is the one who can adjust the settings similar to the original PSXDoom or PSXDoomTC. I misunderstood you when you said this:

7 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Other than that, I think it would be pretty welcome to either have a more faithful configuration of the game set by default,

I thought you were referring to set the GEC project to the original game settings while you were referring to the port itself. We thought this could be the right way for users, so they wouldn't have any problem by configuring the seetings similar to PSXDoom. Just like the example you game me about the PSXDoomTC.

We don't want people think this beats PSXDoomTC and now PSXDoomTC is obsolete, same goes to @Nevander 's Doom 64 Retribution. We in fact, want people consider this as the ultimate update for those projects. That's why we credited the PSXDoomTC Team and Nevander in this project. I don't know if Lost Levels can work here, maybe give a try, if there's any issue, we all together can make it run in GEC.

wow.

This is fantastic work.  Of course I jumped right into D64, and immediately I noticed that the turning speed with the keyboard is brutally slow... any way to fix this?

Thank you @Antnee believe it or not, this is the actual Doom64 turning speed using the controller in N64. But if there's a way to fix this for users, we can add something new to get a faster turning. But we need more feedback to it! You're the first one!