Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

Just for curiosity. Are the Final Doom maps the original ones properly converted / extracted from the PSX CD or PC versions modified to look like the original ones, like the ones of PSX Doom/Final Doom TC because the storage format couldn’t be reversed engineered back then?

Edit: Well, it seems I misinterpreted the original post of PSX Doom/Final Doom TC’s topic, what I have stated about PC versions of Final Doom edited to resemble PSX maps is, apparently, old info archived in the original post.

Edited by Litrivin

3 minutes ago, Litrivin said:

Just for curiosity. Are the Final Doom maps the original ones properly converted / extracted from the PSX CD or PC versions modified to look like the original ones, like the ones of PSX Doom/Final Doom TC because the storage format couldn’t be reversed engineered back then?

The Final Doom maps were extracted from the PSX CD, they are 100% original. The same goes for PSX Doom.

5 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

The Final Doom maps were extracted from the PSX CD, they are 100% original. The same goes for PSX Doom.

I expected no less from the guys that cracked the cellphone file formats. :)

Trust me, everyone would love a technical write-up on how both the PSX and cellphone formats work, when you guys are done making your projects. Pretty sure people would want to mod PSX Doom, for example.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

How does this project differ from existing GZDoom ports, such as Playstation Doom TC and Doom 64: Retribution?

First of all, we are using a modified GZDoom 1.9.1, my brother has added several features to it. Our PSX projects use part of the source code from CDs such as maps, midi music and so on and Doom 64 is from Doom 64 Ex. That is the main difference. 

There also are other features that differ.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

So it is mostly under the hood? 

Under the hood?? No, we are showing our progress, it is just a matter of time to finish this.

19 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Under the hood?? No, we are showing our progress, it is just a matter of time to finish this.

Wait a sec. Which other sourceports can be played when this one gets released, like GZDoom 2.2.0 and above? Zandronum 2.1.2 or 3.0 alpha? 

31 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Wait a sec. Which other sourceports can be played when this one gets released, like GZDoom 2.2.0 and above? Zandronum 2.1.2 or 3.0 alpha? 

Only can be played on GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition. 

15 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

By "under the hood", I was of course referring to the differences between your project and other GZDoom ports of Playstation Doom and Doom 64. At least, that is what your comment seems to suggest.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

By "under the hood", I was of course referring to the differences between your project and other GZDoom ports of Playstation Doom and Doom 64. At least, that is what your comment seems to suggest.

Oh, sorry for misunderstood you, I didn't know you were referring to that... Well, talking about projects, there are many differences between this project to others, you can see it in the videos, there are many things to be modified. 

Here is a new video about Map04 of Doom 64

Note: I was reading the Retribution's thread. This is not to seek problems here, simply I'm not making any ports for anyone as @Nevander stated to @Blastfrog, I make this for the community because this is a hobby I started 7 years ago, the first Doom 64 I started working on was for ZDoom 2.4 when I didn't know anything about programming. I'm not absolutely against to Doom 64: Retribution, maybe in a not far future, he can make a Pwad with our project if he wants... My only wish when I'm done with this, hope all I have implemented can be implemented for official GZDoom releases.

Enjoy the video, more will come in the future. Gracias.

Very impressive work. I'll admit, I was slightly skeptical when this was first announced, but your recent videos alleviate most concern that I had. This does look like it's getting close to completion.

That being said, the fact that this is all being done on a custom fork of GZDoom worries me a little bit. Have you been in regular contact with Graf to ensure that it meets his standards, so that these features can be backported without issue?

I notice that you went very far with the changes, even emulating the way Doom 64 and PSX Doom did damage flashes (applies to world assets, as opposed to being in screenspace). I can only assume that you adjusted the ticrate as well. I just hope that these types of changes are configurable from outside of the engine (such as ticrate being in GAMEINFO or something), and are not hardcoded, permanent changes.

I can tell you guys really know what you're doing in practically every way, but I know aspect ratios and TV overscan like the back of my hand, and I think that your PSX port is not as accurate as it should be in this regard. Please see my notes on the subject in this thread, and please consider them. One thing I can tell you is that the black bar underneath the status bar is absolutely not meant to be seen. As far as I'm concerned, the way the game looked on PAL consoles is not valid, it was designed for NTSC TVs, first and foremost. This also means that the view is meant to be y-sheared down by about 8 out of 240 pixels.

1 hour ago, Erick194 said:

Here is a new video about Map04 of Doom 64

R.I.P. Retribution... This looks exactly like Doom 64, and anything I did in mine that is custom (like smooth animations) could easily be added to this as a PWAD. Looks like this is history repeating itself with Retribution being The Absolution TC and yours being Doom 64 EX. Seriously outstanding work, I don't know you guys managed to integrate nearly every Doom 64 effect into GZDoom without issue, how the hell did you do all this? Makes me wonder how Graf hasn't done it all sooner if it can clearly be done in GZDoom, and in 1.9.1 no less. These are the kinds of things I'd expect to see in current releases.

Seeing how good this looks make me question what I should do with my own project, at this stage the only thing truly unique that my mod will offer in the future is new maps, which could easily be ported to your project using your engine features making Retribution obsolete.

One more time here I come with a new Doom 64 video, do not misunderstand me but I am not trolling, I'm just showing a bits of all :)

I don't like to repeat the same but the source code will be uploaded at the end, it will depend on @Graf Zahl if he includes it or not and if he needs help, it will be a pleasure helping him, but everything in its due time.

You know I was wondering if you could re add the Arch Vile since Aubrey Hudges released the sounds for them long ago.

If you told me you were one of the developers at Midway responsible for the engine modifications for the original game, I'd believe you.

19 hours ago, Jannak said:

You know I was wondering if you could re add the Arch Vile since Aubrey Hudges released the sounds for them long ago.

There is a possible plan for that in the future, we must wait a bit. GEC has other projects in mind. Very sure you will like them and this version too.

I'm also thinking of designing the missing monsters for a future Doom 64 project or sequel we will be making in the future.

Edited by Gerardo194

Now THIS is a total conversion, not that Retribution mod from Nevander. Whatever that thing is supposed to be I have no idea...

But impressive stuff you have here. Definitely hit up Graf and see if your modifications to the engine would be able to be implemented in some way to the latest GZDoom.

I'm sure the possibility is way far from being even thought about, but the ultimate combo would be to have this with a functional map editor for people that may want to create their own maps and have them look and feel as authentic as you can get. I know that GZDoom Builder was recently given the ability to modify sector lighting the same way as Doom 64 but it's still missing some functionality, and Doom Builder 64... Oh boy Doom Builder 64. That editor is literally a basket of bugs and glitches that hasn't been updated in years IIRC.

10 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

Now THIS is a total conversion, not that Retribution mod from Nevander. Whatever that thing is supposed to be I have no idea...

Sounds like your jimmies got a little rustled back there? In case you aren't aware, since people like you wouldn't stop bitching about the direction the TC went it's now being called a "remastered or enhanced version of Doom 64 for GZDoom." So there, happy now?

8 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

But impressive stuff you have here. Definitely hit up Graf and see if your modifications to the engine would be able to be implemented in some way to the latest GZDoom.

I'm sure the possibility is way far from being even thought about, but the ultimate combo would be to have this with a functional map editor for people that may want to create their own maps and have them look and feel as authentic as you can get. I know that GZDoom Builder was recently given the ability to modify sector lighting the same way as Doom 64 but it's still missing some functionality, and Doom Builder 64... Oh boy Doom Builder 64. That editor is literally a basket of bugs and glitches that hasn't been updated in years IIRC.

These are not TCs though; they use actual game content and functions from the original games themselves. So you can call these the next EX to be frank.

49 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

Sorry to break your bubble there but Graf said this on the Retribution topic: "That alone pretty much ensures that no merge will ever happen. Internally 1.9 is very different from 2.x and having an idea why they chose 1.9 over 2.x means that the changes will most likely be incompatible anyway."

2 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

These are not TCs though; they use actual game content and functions from the original games themselves. So you can call these the next EX to be frank.

Yes, they aren't TCs, something similar to EX but we call them Master Edition, hehe.

4 hours ago, jdagenet said:

Wow you really can't let that go huh?

I guess If you cry long enough things MIGHT go how you want it to.

Keep the crying and drama to yourself.

On 16/5/2017 at 8:25 PM, Blastfrog said:

I can tell you guys really know what you're doing in practically every way, but I know aspect ratios and TV overscan like the back of my hand, and I think that your PSX port is not as accurate as it should be in this regard. Please see my notes on the subject in this thread, and please consider them. One thing I can tell you is that the black bar underneath the status bar is absolutely not meant to be seen. As far as I'm concerned, the way the game looked on PAL consoles is not valid, it was designed for NTSC TVs, first and foremost. This also means that the view is meant to be y-sheared down by about 8 out of 240 pixels.

Well, I think there is no need to take the black bar out, consider the following images please. I think the "no$psx v1.9" emulator runs the game as PAL, that's why the screen resolution is 256X224, but the ePSXe emulator runs it as NTSC which screen resolution is 256X240, which i think the game was designed for 256X240; why? simple, in the PAL version the status bar doesn't suffer any scale ratio and it keeps it in 256X240, besides the "PAL and NTSC TVs" get rid of 8 pixels from the top of the screen, I made the "DOOM PSX Master Edition" similar to the view from the ePSXe emulator which is 256X240.

cercc2wilx4fli0zg.jpg

9wcgdgrm01meta6zg.jpg

Edited by Erick194