Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

The low demonic moan sample used in Fistula's track does not loop as it does in the actual PSX. Kinda kills the atmosphere a bit.

@Impboy4 we know what happens there, it's not the music track because it was taken from the source code but, it's the GZDoom which cause this problem, you can notice that in Virgil level too, just listen to it carefully.

It will also happen in Combine level, most of Final Doom tracks might sound different this time.

I do not know that app, I suppose you were listening to the midi tracks there. Well, soundfont doesn't work like Play Station SPU. I know you're feeling about it.

I converted a map of the Community Chest 64 to see how it worked in master edition, the map is MAP07 of @GoatLord, and here are some screenshots.

g74lapi2481r12mzg.jpg

0y1rgvju43mvj8wzg.jpg

w6ro6zbzgebp8jfzg.jpg

xcnnxys8nixvrakzg.jpg

995k2y11myrvxpzzg.jpg

c0lhlbpqhjt7vpfzg.jpg

b0x3rk96b1ju51qzg.jpg

9 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

I converted a map of the Community Chest 64 to see how it worked in master edition, the map is MAP07 of @GoatLord,....

Nice screenshots! Can't wait for further documentation and update of this Master Edition port.

Nice to see this released! Looks and plays pretty darn well. Good work!

On 8/8/2018 at 2:20 PM, Gez said:

I am the most patient of all, as I expect this to be delivered after the heat death of the universe.

This sure aged well.

5 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I converted a map of the Community Chest 64 to see how it worked in master edition, the map is MAP07 of @GoatLord, and here are some screenshots.

Whoa, so you have some sort of automated way to do this??  what's the process?

15 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

I thought you were referring to set the GEC project to the original game settings while you were referring to the port itself. We thought this could be the right way for users, so they wouldn't have any problem by configuring the seetings similar to PSXDoom. Just like the example you game me about the PSXDoomTC.

No, what I meant was simply referred to certain options that seem to be set to GZDoom's defaults rather than being set by you guys (like the examples I had given a few times before. How GEC is set up is mostly fine, so that the core configuration is how it should be, it's just those other, mostly graphical and nitpicky stuff I had mentioned that was left to default).

15 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

We don't want people think this beats PSXDoomTC and now PSXDoomTC is obsolete, same goes to @Nevander 's Doom 64 Retribution. We in fact, want people consider this as the ultimate update for those projects. That's why we credited the PSXDoomTC Team and Nevander in this project. I don't know if Lost Levels can work here, maybe give a try, if there's any issue, we all together can make it run in GEC.

Of course, my point wasn't that people should just forget about those projects now that GEC is out. It's just that ultimately, whether purposefully or not, the TC will be rendered obsolete for instance, especially to people like myself who want something as close to the real console version as possible while still taking advantage of what the source port and platform offers (similar to Kaiser's Doom 64 EX). GEC does what the TC did while being more faithful to the original. D64 Retribution and the TC offer different things for different people, so of course it's great to have all of them rather than just one.

Fantastic! wasn't expecting a release this soon considering how much work had to be done. Thank you.

One thing I would appreciate though is a way to remove the green background at the sides of the HUD. I like that it is still there in the vanilla wads, but in PSXDoom TC it has always just been a black space at the sides. I got used to that and would like it if I could do the same here with GEC.

So I finished the Ultimate Doom side and it was pretty darn sweet, currently going through Doom 2.

The lower height of various structures in the levels in GEC compared to PC Doom and the TC is quite noticeable in Doom 2. I had noticed the lower height in UD in various places, but it's amazing to see how different some things are on the real deal. The Crusher in particular really caught my eye with its descending lift at the start of the room with the Hell Knights, in fact the whole area almost felt like a miniature version :v. 

Yeah, I also felt the same the first time I played the Crusher. Later, we realized that sector was lowered due to PSXDoom suffers from an awful stretching wall bug. Actually I really like how it looks :)

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Antnee said:

Whoa, so you have some sort of automated way to do this??  what's the process?

Magic, lol! 

Sure you will know about it, soon :)

By changing the border line in mapinfo to FLAT0 I was able to get the black border. Still has some leftover green line, but it's not too bad.

gzdoom_2018_12_13_14_49_23_319.png

You want to change the BRDR_* graphics to get rid of the green line. Specifically, BRDR_B. Note that they're also used to frame the player sprite in the Player Setup menu, as well as in the class choice menu when there are multiple player classes.

Not sure how to do that, but I don't want to remove it from other areas anyway by doing so.

I'll just keep it as is unless there is another option I can try later.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, Gerardo194 said:

Thank you @Antnee believe it or not, this is the actual Doom64 turning speed using the controller in N64. But if there's a way to fix this for users, we can add something new to get a faster turning. But we need more feedback to it! You're the first one!

I can confirm that. Doom 64 is unplayable with the D-pad on the console because the turning speed is too slow.

While I appreciate accuracy, certain things like these should be editable through a console command or a "turning speed" option on the menu with "classic" and "Doom 64" as selections or a slider for better tuning. While I'd play Doom 64 with a mouse or a gamepad pretty much always because that's how I played it on the console, keyboarders would appreciate a way to get the turning speed back to vanilla Doom speed.

3 hours ago, braders1986 said:

By changing the border line in mapinfo to FLAT0 I was able to get the black border. Still has some leftover green line, but it's not too bad.

gzdoom_2018_12_13_14_49_23_319.png

The whole border thing can be changed with MAPINFO (or some other ZDoom lump, I don't remember right now) and defining it there doesn't affect the border on the rest of the areas where it is displayed (unless I missed that). I remember it being really easy to do, but I'm a bit rusty on ZDoom editing.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, Gerardo194 said:

I do not know that app, I suppose you were listening to the midi tracks there. Well, soundfont doesn't work like Play Station SPU. I know you're feeling about it.

No, I know that the demonic moan is a loop; I used the PSound app to rip all the final doom samples and listened to each one and they all have loop points. Currently in the GEC only Fistula and Paradox use samples which are only played once even in long notes.  If you can't make it work like the original SPU at least fix the samples to emulate it.

Also, please if you can; remove the midi loops on all tracks that have them, it's no fun hearing the track once and then silence for the rest of the level.

1 hour ago, CoTeCiO said:

The whole border thing can be changed with MAPINFO (or some other ZDoom lump, I don't remember right now) and defining it there doesn't affect the border on the rest of the areas where it is displayed (unless I missed that). I remember it being really easy to do, but I'm a bit rusty on ZDoom editing.

I done it using the method mentioned in here https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51426

It's either a slight green line left behind, or complete black with messed up other areas.

The other way you mention would be great.

16 minutes ago, braders1986 said:

I done it using the method mentioned in here https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51426

It's either a slight green line left behind, or complete black with messed up other areas.

The other way you mention would be great.

I looked a bit into it and there is a "border" property in the GameInfo definition of MAPINFO (which is pretty poorly defined, unfortunately, as it doesn't say what "offset" does), but apparently yeah, it affects the border of the player skin preview as well. I don't know what other area uses those graphics and by a quick look, apparently none. You could change it anyway, since the player setup menu isn't one that you use very often and it won't look that terrible either.

Now that I had a bit of time to play around with this, I must say I'm very impressed! The games play wonderfully and they seem pretty accurate! I'm particularly impressed on how you managed to capture that "PSX feel" that the TC was lacking.

The one thing, though. I was hoping PSX Doom could be able to load PSX formatted levels natively, but I found out it hangs when trying to load them and that the original maps are actually converted into UDMF. Did you guys use a tool to convert the maps to UDMF or did it manually?

I have a habit to use a gamepad setup in gzdoom, but I have a binding issue with Gzdoom Master Editon [GEC], the key binding of my start button is joy10=menu_main but instead to display your specified pause menu which is associate to the Esc key.

good_menu.png.2c758adb0355204c104b6772432dd1b8.png

It display the opening menu so I can't save and it's pretty annoying. I don't know if it is possible to bind this specified menu instead of the opening menu in my gamepad.

alt_menu.png.fd3b681a0d3ff85e03de2ada305b8d3b.png

1 hour ago, FrenchGuy said:

I have a habit to use a gamepad setup in gzdoom, but I have a binding issue with Gzdoom Master Editon [GEC], the key binding of my start button is joy10=menu_main but instead to display your specified pause menu which is associate to the Esc key.

good_menu.png.2c758adb0355204c104b6772432dd1b8.png

It display the opening menu so I can't save and it's pretty annoying. I don't know if it is possible to bind this specified menu instead of the opening menu in my gamepad.

alt_menu.png.fd3b681a0d3ff85e03de2ada305b8d3b.png

Try this:

bind joy10 "openmenu gamemenu"

By the way, is there any way to make the menu backgrounds cover the entire screen when playing in 16:9? Or at least add black bars on the sides because it doesn't look very nice as it stands now.

27 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

Try this:

It works, thank for the knack.

1 hour ago, CoTeCiO said:

the way, is there any way to make the menu backgrounds cover the entire screen when playing in 16:9? Or at least add black bars on the sides because it doesn't look very nice as it stands now.

There isn't, I mentioned this problem above and Gerardo said they're gonna take a look and fix it in the future.

I'd like a way to have black bars when using a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 screen too.

4 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Try this:

By the way, is there any way to make the menu backgrounds cover the entire screen when playing in 16:9? Or at least add black bars on the sides because it doesn't look very nice as it stands now.

Yes, you can easily add black bars to the sides of menus.

In the settings you will see a Menu Dim option. Put this all the way to 100, then change the dim colour to black.

Job done :)

gzdoom_2018_12_14_22_04_34_751.png

gzdoom_2018_12_14_22_04_39_798.png

On 12/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Impboy4 said:

No, I know that the demonic moan is a loop; I used the PSound app to rip all the final doom samples and listened to each one and they all have loop points. Currently in the GEC only Fistula and Paradox use samples which are only played once even in long notes.  If you can't make it work like the original SPU at least fix the samples to emulate it.

Also, please if you can; remove the midi loops on all tracks that have them, it's no fun hearing the track once and then silence for the rest of the level.

I'm checking up the samples from Fistula and Paradox and they all have loops even when they play in game. I may know what happens there and we found a solution to it in ealier version and we can apply it in next update. There also was a version with edited notes to emulate the SPU but we scrapped it because we think people would be getting edited tracks and not the real ones.

About removing the midi loops, we don't consider that yet. If we had done that before, I'm pretty sure there would be people requesting them back and saying this was like that in the actual PSX, let's wait for more feedback for it.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, CoTeCiO said:

I can confirm that. Doom 64 is unplayable with the D-pad on the console because the turning speed is too slow.

While I appreciate accuracy, certain things like these should be editable through a console command or a "turning speed" option on the menu with "classic" and "Doom 64" as selections or a slider for better tuning. While I'd play Doom 64 with a mouse or a gamepad pretty much always because that's how I played it on the console, keyboarders would appreciate a way to get the turning speed back to vanilla Doom speed.

Okay, I like this idea about "classic" and "Doom 64". We will include this in next update.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, CoTeCiO said:

The one thing, though. I was hoping PSX Doom could be able to load PSX formatted levels natively, but I found out it hangs when trying to load them and that the original maps are actually converted into UDMF. Did you guys use a tool to convert the maps to UDMF or did it manually?

That was the first idea when the project started, GZDoom being able to run the PSX formatted levels but we left that idea and considered this would be better using UDMF, so people can create mods for it if they want using all of UDMF format. We also planned to include the actual PSXDoom demos, my brother was close to get it, but you know, this is a port with many features, so we scrapped that idea.

the maps weren't converted manually, this was a tool my brother programmed to convert the into UDMF, something like the tools for PSXDoom Master Edition.

6 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

There isn't, I mentioned this problem above and Gerardo said they're gonna take a look and fix it in the future.

I'd like a way to have black bars when using a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 screen too.

Yes, this is coming for next update. I remember my brother fixed this in the Doom RPG project menu, that menu is a custom menu as well.

@CoTeCiO is good to see you here again and thank you guys for helping the other guys requesting help!

2 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

the maps weren't converted manually, this was a tool my brother programmed to convert the into UDMF, something like the tools for PSXDoom Master Edition.

That's cool! I'm really interested in having that tool, any chance of you guys uploading it?

Thanks for the greeting! You don't know how much I've been playing with this thing today! I'm really enjoying it!

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

About removing the midi loops, we don't consider that yet. If we had done that before, I'm pretty sure there would be people requesting them back and saying this was like that in the actual PSX, let's wait for more feedback for it.

Well, if possible there could be a toggleable option in the menu for this, so people could do whatever they want with it.

E: Also good to hear the menus will be fixed to they scale properly when using widescreen resolutions.

I think it would be perfect to also have a way to run the game in letterbox so that when you pick a 4:3 resolution or something you get black bars on the left and right side of the screen. I think recent versions of GZDoom have an option to run the game in letterbox format.

Edited by Agent6