Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, dbj87jb said:

Downloaded this, it plays smoothly & looks great. But I'm not getting any music playing in any levels, menus or intermissions. Any idea why?

Hi, I just read your post. It's weird this is happening to you but it is not the first time I hear this, actually is the second time. What I suggest you is: download it again, create a new folder for this project and execute the bat. programs included in the download. Do not change the default init for another or this will create errors, if you want to configurate your game options, you must do it individually for each game.

I noticed something while playing Doom 64. The Super Shotgun refires way too fast. I mean, if you hold the fire button, the shotgun fires again too early when compared to the original. You can clearly hear it by comparing the timing of the sound effects in Doom 64 and in the port.

5 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

I noticed something while playing Doom 64. The Super Shotgun refires way too fast. I mean, if you hold the fire button, the shotgun fires again too early when compared to the original. You can clearly hear it by comparing the timing of the sound effects in Doom 64 and in the port.

Thought that was intended since D64's SSG is supposed to be faster than the classic counterpart.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Thought that was intended since D64's SSG is supposed to be faster than the classic counterpart.

What I wanted to say it's that it's faster compared to the original console version of the Doom 64 SSG, not the PC version.

3 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

What I wanted to say it's that it's faster compared to the original console version of the Doom 64 SSG, not the PC version.

Yep.  Can confirm that for certain.

Very nice guys, You truly made history here :)

Are there any efforts to rebase your changes from GZDoom v3?

Would you advise mappers to port thier maps to GEC now, or wait for the source port to be merged to upstream GZDoom V3+

Lastly is the source code available somewhere on github? I would love to play around and possibly participate.

Je Je, thanks friend, I need to do more updates to the gzdoom [GEC], although I also consider moving everything in the latest version of gzdoom legacy. I'm really very busy for now. I also have to upload the code to github. although from what I see, what I did was not even considered for the official gzdoom line.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, Erick194 said:

what I did was not even considered for the official gzdoom line.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but it might have to do with the fact that the implementation of your changes was not optimal. I mean, first, none of your changes work on software mode, you even removed the option to change that on the menu. I also discovered that this mod doesn't like older GPUs that doesn't have shader model 4. I tried it on my mid-2000's PC running a GeForce 6200, which doesn't have SM4, and well...

Screenshot_Doom_20190419_003954.png.40cae4ca3a1d314fadc2d231f19eedde.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190419_004010.png.6d335dab4adbc47dabcdd168c3cd9e12.png

All sectors are fully bright, without color and all sprites are missing. If I load the lights and brightmaps, sprites appear and some sectors and walls look fine, others look fully bright just like the screenshots, it actually looks even worse than the screenshots. Doom 64 doesn't look so bad, but no sprites either, and no flash effect when taking damage or picking up a berserk. No matter if I load lights and brightmaps, it always look like that.

Screenshot_Doom_20190419_004119.png.5296c2661e64ea062861b316d161c21f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190419_004126.png.4546cc498c71fd96d5f92316cb32fc8a.png

I can force SM4 on the 6200, and it looks perfectly fine, but it runs on some sort of shader emulation mode and the framerate drops dramatically, almost to single digits when it gets too bad. I tried it on an old laptop running a GeForce 8200M G and while it has SM4, if I force SM2 or 3, the same thing happens.

I get you might not want to develop your mod for that kind of prehistoric hardware, but that's exactly what the legacy branch is aimed at. I think I had to point that out since you mentioned wanting to merge this into the legacy branch of GZDoom.

On jeudi 14 mars 2019 at 3:52 AM, Erick194 said:

Je Je, thanks friend, I need to do more updates to the gzdoom [GEC], although I also consider moving everything in the latest version of gzdoom legacy. I'm really very busy for now. I also have to upload the code to github. although from what I see, what I did was not even considered for the official gzdoom line.

Fork GZDoom on GitHub, and then apply your changes there.

The things that caused this disinterest are that:

1. It's not convenient. It's a rar archive instead of being a GitHub fork. There's no text file documenting the changes. For some reason there's both an src/ and an src3/ directory, with the same file content as far as file names are concerned. So finding the changes is a trial that could have been avoided if it had been a GitHub fork.
  2. It's based on an old version of GZDoom. That makes porting the changes, on they're found, harder.
  3. It's made to run some custom PK3 with UDMF maps that have to be distributed alongside, instead of running the original data (or, for Doom 64, the data processed by Kaiser's wadgen utility) so that obtaining the data becomes the user's problem.

So i finally tried this the other day and i have to say that it's pretty good! I only tried the Playstation version though. I realized that i had to copy all of my IWAD's to the sourceport folder, including all of the Master Levels.

Since i'm not too familiar with Playstation Doom, although i do have a burned copy of it and a chipped PSOne, the first thing i realized was how fast Doomguy runs. Now i've read on here that he does run faster in the PS version, but since that version doesn't run at a steady 60fps (nor is it smooth by any means) it just feels "off" to me. Maybe i'll cap my FPS at 30 or 35 or w/e the actual PS version runs at. I think that should of been taken into consideration some how. 

I also noticed the HUD seemed a tad crunched (at least compared to the PC version) but it wasn't that bad. Then i came to this topic and read all of the drama surrounding that so yeah...Not trying to stir that up again xD

I know that this is based on an extremely old yet highly customized version of GZDoom and yet it still manages to run well and look great too imo. I can actually see things haha. When i tried the PSX TC out, it was a tad too dark for my taste even though the PS game is fairly dark (so it makes sense). When i saw the screenshots/video that were posted here for Doom64, i liked the lighting a little bit better as when i had last played Doom64 via Doom64 EX, i hard a time seeing, even after adjusting the brightness/gamma. But i'll give this one a shot and hopefully it's a bit better for me ;)

On 4/18/2019 at 11:28 PM, CoTeCiO said:

Spoiler

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but it might have to do with the fact that the implementation of your changes was not optimal. I mean, first, none of your changes work on software mode, you even removed the option to change that on the menu. I also discovered that this mod doesn't like older GPUs that doesn't have shader model 4. I tried it on my mid-2000's PC running a GeForce 6200, which doesn't have SM4, and well...

Screenshot_Doom_20190419_003954.png.40cae4ca3a1d314fadc2d231f19eedde.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190419_004010.png.6d335dab4adbc47dabcdd168c3cd9e12.png

All sectors are fully bright, without color and all sprites are missing. If I load the lights and brightmaps, sprites appear and some sectors and walls look fine, others look fully bright just like the screenshots, it actually looks even worse than the screenshots. Doom 64 doesn't look so bad, but no sprites either, and no flash effect when taking damage or picking up a berserk. No matter if I load lights and brightmaps, it always look like that.

Screenshot_Doom_20190419_004119.png.5296c2661e64ea062861b316d161c21f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190419_004126.png.4546cc498c71fd96d5f92316cb32fc8a.png

I can force SM4 on the 6200, and it looks perfectly fine, but it runs on some sort of shader emulation mode and the framerate drops dramatically, almost to single digits when it gets too bad. I tried it on an old laptop running a GeForce 8200M G and while it has SM4, if I force SM2 or 3, the same thing happens.

I get you might not want to develop your mod for that kind of prehistoric hardware, but that's exactly what the legacy branch is aimed at. I think I had to point that out since you mentioned wanting to merge this into the legacy branch of GZDoom.

Those are interesting findings but sadly we aren't able to test it with other computers :(

On 4/19/2019 at 2:36 AM, Gez said:
Spoiler

Fork GZDoom on GitHub, and then apply your changes there.

The things that caused this disinterest are that:

1. It's not convenient. It's a rar archive instead of being a GitHub fork. There's no text file documenting the changes. For some reason there's both an src/ and an src3/ directory, with the same file content as far as file names are concerned. So finding the changes is a trial that could have been avoided if it had been a GitHub fork.
  2. It's based on an old version of GZDoom. That makes porting the changes, on they're found, harder.
  3. It's made to run some custom PK3 with UDMF maps that have to be distributed alongside, instead of running the original data (or, for Doom 64, the data processed by Kaiser's wadgen utility) so that obtaining the data becomes the user's problem.

This could be the reason...maybe, I hope so. The idea of adding the new features on the official GZDoom line was just adding the new stuff my brother programmed (gradiant lighting, PSXDoom bright, mirror texture and so on...I don't know them well) not adding PSXDoom and Doom64 games a la Harmony and other wads.

The true reason is the disinterest comes from an old argument when Erick showed GZDoom was able to run Doom64 lighting system. an idea very far for other developers... Also GEC has been cause of hate, there are many that try to ignore us...

It's better to bury this old situation...

3 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

The idea of adding the new features on the official GZDoom line was just adding the new stuff my brother programmed (gradiant lighting, PSXDoom bright, mirror texture and so on...I don't know them well) not adding PSXDoom and Doom64 games a la Harmony and other wads.

The true reason is the disinterest comes from an old argument when Erick showed GZDoom was able to run Doom64 lighting system. an idea very far for other developers...

Yeah, I was not talking about adding support for PSX/D64, but the new features Erick added, that's what is actually not working correctly. The maps load fine, and they should because they rely on more GZDoom native stuff than the lighting effects.

I remember seeing that thread. I've seen Graf being a bit unfriendly many times. I don't know his motivations for his rough attitude at times and I will not start question them. If I remember correctly, they didn't consider your brother's input very much for reasons similar to what I mentioned in my previous response that the implementation is not ideal. It requires a great deal of testing on different machines and configurations, and getting it to work in all modes including software to include such a thing in the main line, and even then, some features from 3.7.2 legacy don't work in my old computer either, like 3D mode and vanilla lighting mode.

I don't want to put down Erick's efforts, though. He is on the right path and he has shown everyone that PSX and D64 can be indeed be ported very accurately to GZDoom and I really hope you guys keep working on this and iron out the bugs of the engine, this really has potential! The fact that it is buggy on certain systems is just a matter that this hasn't been tested very much and is new territory, and if you guys need people to test your new features, many of us got different systems we can use to test. I could perfectly try test builds on my machine and give you guys results on how the features perform, you guys belong to this community and we can help! I remember the first versions of GZDoom being pretty rough, they would crash my computer constantly, but throughout the years it has been becoming a lot more reliable. If you guys keep working on this, you'll follow the same path. Don't stop!

Personally, while I'd be all for getting "proper" GZDoom support for these games (as closely as can be done, anyway), there is definitely the needs of one project versus another to factor in here.

If Erick can make it so that his changes:

• Are documented (This means Github, or some other SVN/Git/Mercurial/whatever-style control) so that other coders can see what changed,
  • Are on more updated versions of GZDoom (easily the biggest killer right now for sure in terms of potentially getting them into the main codebase), and
  • Can be implemented without breaking or screwing with anything else,

Then the odds of it go way up. And that last part is probably where the problem lies (mostly).

To be honest, this is why source ports of the console versions have wound up having their own, dedicated source ports. Right now we've got D64EX, of course. Calico became the second "console-to-PC" port, for the Jaguar version. PSX Doom is on the verge of becoming the third.

It's a better question for Erick than for Gerardo, obviously, but basically is it possible for him to do these ports in such a way that it can be made compatible with the main source port without changing key code that would mess with the usual, normal PC versions of the games? Is newer GZDoom flexible enough via stuff like DECORATE and/or ZScript to be able to do all the changes that are needed to stuff that would have to be modified? Can the stuff that would definitely have to be added done in a way that's not intrusive or would disrupt handling the regular stuff?

That's the key. If the answer is yes, then sooner or later it will get to a state where it could possibly be considered mergeable, and if not, then basically it's down to forking GZDoom and altering its code so that it's tuned to the new port's purpose - running PSX and Doom 64 as closely as possible.

I have a version 3 for this project, the moment I release it, I will consider moving everything to the most recent versions of Gzdoom, although I can not run it on my PC which I use to program, but if on my laptop, I would use the version " vintage "for this purpose and make tests, previously I managed to put the gradient light system in opengl without the need for shaders, that is also ideal since many people can not enjoy that feature since it uses shaders, I also programmed it that feature for Polyrender .

I also know that there has not been much interest on the part of the developers, but there are people who are really interested in this.

Currently the downloads of this project exceed even those of the PsxDoom project.

2v69ufb03o6b0y6zg.jpg

Even so, I appreciate the previous comments, including yours @Gez. Just a question Gez that you thought this project or what I did?

Problem is the latest GZDoom is actually 4.0.0, which debuts the Vulkan renderer and unicode font (and does NOT have a legacy version).

So you'd need either a system with that, or to build it off of 3.7.2, which isn't the most recent but it's obviously close enough, and is the last version to have a vintage build.

Hey, guys! This fork is awesome! And your work is truly appreciated, really. I stumble with some kind of ''bug'', maybe? Well, after selecting the game mode in the V2 .bat, the mouse is showed in the middle of the screen and i am unable to move it from there, tillting franctly whenever i try to move it. And it also happends during gameplay.

Anyone experience this? This same effect happened to me in the normal GZDoom when a desktop message appeared while i was running the game. After i closed the message, the mouse disappeared and i can continue playing as normal. But that doesn't happend in GEC edition. Any clue on how to fix it?

I tried screenshoting the effect to show you, but the mouse doesn't appeard at all in the screenshots :/

I tried this source port and I can say that GEC GZDoom compared to old PSXDoom TC is like "sky and earth" (as can be said in my native language). I mean that the accuracy is brought almost to the PS1 version. Great stuff.

Here are some feedback from me:

-Doom64 is uncomfortable dark for me and I increased gamma to 1.5.

-how to increase the font size in the console, if I set the resolution to 1600x900? For the eyes, this font size is not comfortable.

-in the Final Doom, you can warp to the two original redundant maps from PC Doom: MAP31 and MAP32, similarly buggy music from maps 31 and 32

-sometimes redundant arch-vile sounds is played when you exit the game. No arch-viles at PSX Doom, so maybe remove them from exit sounds.

-сan you return the password system for those, for example, who played the game on the console and then switched to the PC? I mean, if there are old passwords left. I know that almost everyone uses saves, but if you add a password system, it will be just a neat bonus.

-bug which show total map time when it's must be hidden. Happened after I changed resolution to 1600x900 and then finished map.
uIVD4Zl.png

-here are three issues on this screenshot:
BbNDnFs.png

1) "floating ceiling" bug

2) in 1600x900 resolution this text is shifted to the right

3) This is a trifle that no one noticed except me. In the original PS1 Doom, when you switch weapons, the square around the digit switches BEFORE the weapon changes. In GEC GZDoom, this square switches AFTER changing weapons, which is incorrect.

-also MAP01 from Final Doom have "floating ceiling" bug:
vJjuSX7.png

I suppose there are more bugs like this, because I only idclipped a bit of maps.

@Alfaifi sadly, we don't have a Mac machine. :(

@riderr3 glad you like it! And thank you very much for all the bugs you found this time. We will be considering them for next update.

In Doom 64 is an option in gl options where you can turn up the brightness similar to the original game and EX.

About the ceiling bugs, most of these you can find them in both original PSX games. Other ceiling bugs are caused by the GZDoom engine.

10 hours ago, riderr3 said:

2) in 1600x900 resolution this text is shifted to the right

Isn't that supposed to be like that? I mean, if they made the text to stick to the very left of the screen, I think it would be too far away from the status bar and look out of place. It's just my opinion, I actually like it being right above the status bar instead of the very left.

I always use the messages centered in GZDoom for that same reason. It worked to have them on the left in 4:3, but it's just way too at the left in 16:9.

3 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Isn't that supposed to be like that?

It is. It's there so it looks right in 4:3.

Just now, Nevander said:

It is. It's there so it looks right in 4:3.

Yeah, but it's different to how messages are handled in vanilla GZDoom, in which they are placed at a certain distance from the top left corner of the frame, regardless of the resolution, aspect ratio and scaling options, unless you activate the option to have them centered. In GEC it appears to have a fixed position in the viewing area that is unaffected by any of those things.

Still, I think it's better to have things closer to the center so you have to look away less from the center of the screen where most of the action is taking place. That's what I mean with the text position in vanilla Doom worked fine in 4:3, but doesn't work very well (at least for me) in 16:9, it's too far away from everything. For example, it happens to me from time to time that I accidentally press the T key without realizing and I start wondering why my keyboard doesn't respond anymore and then I see in the bottom left corner of the screen a "SAY: 3WWWWWWWW" message. It would be a lot more noticeable it if was in the position of the text in GEC.

So, how is the port going? Been a while since I've last heard anything, and obviously there has not been an update in a long time.

Any chances of this ever getting merged into the mainline GZDoom?

Does The Doom 64 version of this contain new demons and weapons.Like Revenants ,Archviles(with they’re own unique sprites).Does it contain new bosses???

15 minutes ago, DoomedSpartan said:

Does The Doom 64 version of this contain new demons and weapons.Like Revenants ,Archviles(with they’re own unique sprites).Does it contain new bosses???

No, neither does the PSX Doom one.

This is an accurate, reverse-engineered source port for Playstation 1 Doom and Doom 64 based on an old version of GZDoom, and it does not come with new content. Although the cut enemies from Doom 64 might be added in the future, after they're finished.

This one?:

tzd6q1cgh4b3dnszg.jpg

You are right!! They are part of this project.

@DoomedSpartan where did you see it??

As @seed said... They will be added in a future release. 

Edited by Gerardo194

Yes.I saw it in another topic about resurrecting the missing demos from Doom 64

15 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

You are right!! They are part of this project.

@DoomedSpartan where did you see it??

As @seed said... They will be added in a future release. 

Edited 1 minute ago by Gerardo

Why is the Hellhound not here???They look so bad ass Just out of curiosity how do you change the models to Sprites

Edited by DoomedSpartan

Also may I suggest tweaking the Baron of Hell like make it look Red and it’s ai needs to be a bit more aggressive like a faster rate of fire