Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

They are almost done in terms of 3D visuals, just adding some little details to them. My brother Erick must do the programming thing and my youngest brother Christopher must edit them... It is just a matter of time finishing them...

Regarding the Baron of Hell, we can't edit it because it is supposed to be like the OG or D64 EX, but I don't see any problem if you wanna do it for yourself...

Maybe we could make it for the planned sequel...

You guys are bringing back the missing monsters? Sweet! I can't wait to see it in action!

Thank you!! Yes, we are!! I'm.pretty sure you will like them!

Edited by Gerardo194 : forgot some words... weird.

More issues is found.

-This monster closet at Ballistyx

xP313T4.png

On real hardware, some imps can't leave this place. This may be regarded as bug, but on another hand it is correct map behavior for PSX version of map.

-Tower of Babel switches

BoZQ6Ww.png

On GEC PSX GZDoom you can activate only one of them. Moreover on real hardware, here you can even activate 2-3 switches from one place!

-System Control secret

vrLQAKb.png

-You can open this hidden door right through the wall, without visiting left room, on real console (try to press circle few times on the left side of this wall). And there is lot of shortcuts like this on PSX Doom and Final, because of the engine. But it's not possible on GEC PSX GZDoom, so the engines doesn't match.

-On real hardware, when you starting a game, or moving to another level, you can hear a pistol shot. But not in GEC PSX GZDoom.

-On intermission screen you can press escape and see the main menu, what is not correct.

-The project name (Master Edition) can be confused with another one by GEC.

It will make sense here when both projects are finished, in the readme files of both projects need to add links and small descriptions to each other, so that people will know. Otherwise, for example, someone will search in Google for the PSX Master Edition, and stumble upon the GZDoom version instead of "Lost Levels for real PSX".

I just found out about this today. Needless to say, I'm impressed with what you lot have done. This is definitely the most authentic way to play PS1 Doom on GZDoom.

You probably got asked this question already, but will the lost levels be included as well?

As far as I remember, this question has already been raised. Later, the missing levels are planned to be converted from the neighboring project. As a workaround, you can try using the usual Lost Levels from GZDoom PSX TC.

I know it's a big task for me to do by myself but I am attempting to convert usual Lost Levels from GZDoom PSX TC into this Master Edition. Since there are some problems running the lost levels in the state they are now.    

I don't see the logic here. GZDoom Lost Levels is just imagination "How it would look like on PSX", but when we found a way to create PSX maps we've also found that some choices for TC were absolutely wrong. So you want to convert a far from perfect PC imitation maps? Why?

3 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

I don't see the logic here. GZDoom Lost Levels is just imagination "How it would look like on PSX", but when we found a way to create PSX maps we've also found that some choices for TC were absolutely wrong. So you want to convert a far from perfect PC imitation maps? Why?

Oh, what choices were those then?

1 hour ago, Remul said:

Oh, what choices were those then?

solid 256 height limit, sky & texture packs sometimes exceed the RAM limit, enemy spawn exceed the RAM limit.

Those things were calculated but it's like calculating the nature of atomic particles. "It looks like this", but in real life it's not really like people imagined.

By another words, GZDoom Lost Levels is an interesting mappack (I can't say bad things just because MOST MAPS I DID HERE), but this mappack is far from the true emulation of PSX engine powers.

20 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

solid 256 height limit, sky & texture packs sometimes exceed the RAM limit, enemy spawn exceed the RAM limit.

Those things were calculated but it's like calculating the nature of atomic particles. "It looks like this", but in real life it's not really like people imagined.

By another words, GZDoom Lost Levels is an interesting mappack (I can't say bad things just because MOST MAPS I DID HERE), but this mappack is far from the true emulation of PSX engine powers.

Ah, I see. Didn't know about that.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, Remul said:

You probably got asked this question already, but will the lost levels be included as well?

Remul, there are two existing Lost Levels projects... The first one: PSXDoom TC The Lost Levels for GZDoom and the second one: PSXDoom Master Edition (aka lost levels real deal) for the PS game console. Both have unique features and community members who have worked for them. If you want, we can create a tool to convert the TC lost levels for GEC Master Edition easily but you must wait till next month. PSX Master Edition levels are coming for GZDoom GEC very soon too where you don't need to convert anything, you can run them from the CD.

We are busy with our studies now, our final exams are coming this Sunday and next week. Sorry for late reply.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, riderr3 said:

More issues is found.

-This monster closet at Ballistyx

xP313T4.png

On real hardware, some imps can't leave this place. This may be regarded as bug, but on another hand it is correct map behavior for PSX version of map

All of the Imps there can leave that place because it is a fix version we did for Update1 and Update2. If you try The Death Domain level, it is "fixed" in Update1 but not in Update2 IIRC. In Update3 this won't be possible anymore (even the yellow door in Unholy Cathedral) as the levels will be run from the CD files. Unless you choose an "fixed" opition.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, riderr3 said:

-System Control secret

vrLQAKb.png

-You can open this hidden door right through the wall, without visiting left room, on real console (try to press circle few times on the left side of this wall). And there is lot of shortcuts like this on PSX Doom and Final, because of the engine. But it's not possible on GEC PSX GZDoom, so the engines doesn't match.

You're right... there's another one in that level too. On real hardware you can pick the blue keycard up just getting closer to the wall, no need to open it. In GZDoom GEC this is imposible. We know what happen there, this's something Atari, PSX and other console Doom have about the player radius or something. I'm not the programmer so I don't know anything. Calico can do this as Atari. There have been many testings I did, so we didn't want to get most of things 1:1 as PSXDoom, it's GZDoom, unless it can be done again using a new source port to get things 1:1 but there won't be editing or modding.

The radius on PSX (and the activation distance) is definitely different. I know I had to move a few Things around in my work on Open Season because Doomguy wouldn't grab them. Activation lines can also be hit from the back if there's not enough distance, forcing me to change a secret slightly in that map and the "throne" in Bloodsea Keep to prevent the player from toggling the lines too early in the latter's case (in the former, it made getting the secret trivial).

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Remul, there are two existing Lost Levels projects... The first one: PSXDoom TC The Lost Levels for GZDoom and the second one: PSXDoom Master Edition (aka lost levels real deal) for the PS game console. Both have unique features and community members who have worked for them. If you want, we can create a tool to convert the TC lost levels for GEC Master Edition easily but you must wait till next month. PSX Master Edition levels are coming for GZDoom GEC very soon too where you don't need to convert anything, you can run them from the CD.

We are busy with our studies now, our final exams are coming this Sunday and next week. Sorry for late reply.

I wish you good luck on your exams.

Quick question. How did you lot figure out what maps had which default environment reverb effect? Was there like certain parts of the map that made it easy to figure out?

3 minutes ago, Remul said:

Quick question. How did you lot figure out what maps had which default environment reverb effect? Was there like certain parts of the map that made it easy to figure out?

There's a flag that gets set on a per-sector basis. If the flag is set, the sector has reverb; if not, it doesn't.

So I did convert the PSX Doom TC Lost Levels. Mainly just the ones for Doom 1 & 2, since there was only a few levels missing from the original games. I did mix them in with the PSX Doom maps. The secret exit's from Against Thee Wickedly and Downtown are gone, since they lead to the Xbox exclusive maps but they weren't a thing at the time PSX Doom came out. I didn't include the No Rest for the Living episode for the same reason. Also now Spawning Vats exits to Tower of Babel, Limbo exits to Dis and Redemption Denied exits to the Icon of Sin.

I know it probably wasn't worth the effort since that version of the Lost Levels were built for GZDoom and far from the true emulation of PSX engine powers, but I was bored and just wanted to see if I could actually do it. Though I will definitely play the Master Edition of the lost levels once it's released.

So, it's been almost a full year since the release of version 2 boys, holy shit time flies fast.

Can we expect version 3 to come out before the year ends :) ? Will a github repo finally be opened once V3 releases, and will work on moving/merging it into mainline GZDoom potentially commence afterwards?

Edited by seed

Yes, very fast...

Hmmm, actually I don't know if that could happen, it's up to Erick if we could release version 3... 

Maybe I'm not aware after all but i think the source code was released the same day we released this, maybe I'm wrong... I think I'm wrong...

As we have said before, we would love if all of this could be merged into the GZDoom mainline but I doubt that won't happen... which is sad...

What I can say is the four missing Doom 64 monsters are getting their treatment now... We are edit them into sprites.

So, V3 is coming I take it? The second paragraph seems to imply it perhaps won't after all.

The source was released as far as I can tell, but the lack of opening a github repo was a decision that was criticized by various members of the community for multiple reasons. I'm not familiar with the cons and pros of this so I won't delve into that.

And a merge with mainline GZDoom is still unlikely... that still sucks, but better than nothing I suppose, despite the project potentially being stuck on an ancient version forever (not so great for future-proofing).

No matter what people say or think. We started this several years ago and are happy it was released. We are also happy there are people who still like to play it and wait more from it!

All things come in due time.

Which is great, can't wait for version 3 since things point into the direction of it being a major update, as Erick proceeded to fully reverse-engineer the game after the release of V2.

Here is my custom I made sky. Psxdoom Figure:

Screenshot_Doom_20191130_112438.png.e3eb1f301d3818beb69188975deda55c.png

None. sky is not through float ceiling, 3D fake.

Screenshot_Doom_20191130_112452.png.4c084335b5aed6485a39a7e889c2d1b9.png

Use sky hack console, sky is through float ceiling, 3D fake.Screenshot_Doom_20191130_112509.png.8d7df33cf14696d8b4534ba2d1de24e2.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191130_112546.png.2926d40282ab0646b0c3aa13140a6581.png

Use 3D Floor.Screenshot_Doom_20191130_112604.png.0c881f4508d921fc32edf1d8837ae2ea.png

160. Sector Set 3D Floor and tag to diamond of outside room.

I test map on Gzdoom Psx Doom.

I was fiddling around with the mod and I found out why the SSG refires too fast in Doom 64. The second to last line in the firing animation for the SSG calls the A_CloseShotgun2 function, which for some reason calls A_ReFire immediately after playing the closing sound (I suspect that's not the intended behavior for A_CloseShotgun2) and completely disregards the following line that actually calls A_ReFire, which is intended behavior anyway because A_CloseShotgun2 returns to the beginning of the animation. If you replace A_CloseShotgun2 by a function that just plays the sound (A_PlaySound ("weapons/sshotc", CHAN_WEAPON) does the trick) it works fine.