Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

Hello there, sorry for bothering you but I was wondering how you implemented the 64 style liquid animation, I can't find it on the DOOM64.WAD so I guess is on your GZDOOM fork? and if so you think there is any way to implement these into vanilla gzdoom without code modification?

The water effect is sweet! I didn't realize how unique it was until the Digital Foundry video. Bravo for getting it in DZDoom!

So I just found out about this after using and loving PSX Doom TC for years now, and I'm really liking how this is looking so far! The more-accurate menus and the bottom notification text are especially nice to have back. I know the Lost Levels from PSX Doom TC and now Nightdive's Doom 64 are probably still ages away, but I still have a few other suggestions for options in a future release in the meantime:

• The option to skip the Williams logo at the start for PSX Doom/Final Doom
  • The option to bind the shotgun and super shotgun to the same hotkey like in Doom II
  • The option for Doom 1/2-style physics in PSX Doom/Final Doom
  • The option for Doom-1/2-style Doomguy portrait in status bar (not stretched out)
  • The option for smoother weapon bobbing and switching animations like newer version of GZDoom, and extra graphics options (i.e. message sizes/console font size). Might just be easier to add to a newer version of GZDoom instead, if possible, but considering the many changes, that may not be possible.)

Honestly, that's about it. I apologize if any of this has been mentioned before. Keep it up, guys!

Edited by SilverSpireZ : Forgot to add another point/formatting fixes

Is DZDoom still being developed on by GEC or is their focus on the new Master Edition?

I hope the new converted maps for the Master Edition could be ported back to DZDoom some time in the future.

1 hour ago, Hydra Spectre said:

Is DZDoom still being developed on by GEC or is their focus on the new Master Edition?

I hope the new converted maps for the Master Edition could be ported back to DZDoom some time in the future.

This is exactly what was supposed for a long time. That's just GEC has a lot of projects, even the name of this topic has not yet been renamed.

2 hours ago, Hydra Spectre said:

Yes, we are still working on it. Sure it will happen! 

Bumping to say huge thank you for the work that you've been doing with your PC ports, and quite happy to see you are also adding "missing" Doom 64 monsters as well.

One question I have - if I were to use custom resolution with either of PSX versions or Doom 64, what settings you would recommend for scaling, textures, etc to preserve more of the original look?

Greetings @ludicrous_peridot, in my opinion the most appropriate resolution would be 640x480 since it is the one I feel most comfortable with and I used to get an experience close to the original.

Thanks, @Erick194. One other question I have is which extra maps or map packs exist or are in active development (e.g. have demos or betas) that can run with your source port and wads? E.g. "non core" PSX or N64 inspired levels that could be played with the already released version 2.

I recently found PSX Doom master edition GEC for PC, and it looks brilliant. The PSX sector light mode is the best one out of any of the other settings i ever seen in any port of doom, when I turn banded sw light mode and psx cotor off. Everything is clean and crisp. One thing that is really disappointing about the current version is that the sky background doesn't stay put when I look up  it's always in the same part of the screen. (I tried to make it like a modern shooter and set free look on and autoaim off, which is the only way i like to play doom). It's such a shame, because it looks so good except for that. The GZdoom program you edited, when I use the gzdoom exe and select the original wads, it doesn't have the sky problem.

Another suggestion i can give, is make a psx reverb option, because that was sweet in the actual Psz game. Another is to add fog in Doom 64. I've read that you are trying to make this work with a newer version of gzdoom, so I'm guessing you'll have no problem getting x2BRZ to x6BRZ texture filtering to work on a new release. If you could at least fix the sky prublem in all areas with sky and the fire levels, and make the color above the sky backgrounds match the backgrounds when I look straight up. e.g The hill sky in the first level has a light grey sky, so  above that should be light grey. The sky above the fire in fire levels is black, so above the fire should be black (The background issue issue happens in all the games batch files you included), I'll be happy enough if you just did that.

2020-09-15 (1).png

Edited by ConvexCornet

2 hours ago, ConvexCornet said:

Another is to add fog in Doom 64. 

But Doom64 has fog!!! Maybe it's something on your computer. This Doom64 has fog in the version 1 and 2.

About the sky, I really sorry. We decided to leave it like that

I love this, plays just like the original. The only thing that seems it's lacking is the different levels of reverb?

But, a really amazing job on Doom 64. Doing those commands to get things to work like so must've taken a very long time to do...

I hate bumping threads,but the technology behind this is too much to ignore. Considering there is now also a reverse engineered PSXDoom, and PSYDoom, how is this project holding up, especially the DZDoom engine? I can imagine that would have its own start up screen/custom icon by now.

Remember we are still working on the special episode of Doom64. After the special episode ends. This will mark the DZDoom next version 

I hate being, but holy Molly only now I have understood PSYdoom name is likely not related to the greek letter or someone's nickname. Have great anticipation for DZDoom by the way!

hi guyz! i have a problem with sound in GEC master edition. I play with hdmi cable tv, when i open the psx or n64 version, there is no sound!!!! and 

i am forced to go on options every time for restart sound......when i change hdmi to high definition realtek pc sound then it work....is there any way to fix? thanks

Do I understand correctly that this version doesn't include missing maps/episodes like the GEC version for PlayStation?

22 hours ago, t0m3kf said:

Do I understand correctly that this version doesn't include missing maps/episodes like the GEC version for PlayStation?

You understand correctly. 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, marco1980 said:

hi guyz! i have a problem with sound in GEC master edition. I play with hdmi cable tv, when i open the psx or n64 version, there is no sound!!!! and 

i am forced to go on options every time for restart sound......when i change hdmi to high definition realtek pc sound then it work....is there any way to fix? thanks

I am sure this is because this is unsupported for that version. Who knows in a new version 

I'm trying this and it works really good. But i have an issue with the resolution/full screen.

When i play on my 1080p monitor i choose 1080p resolution and everything is fine. But when i switch to my 4K TV, the game only takes a portion of the screen in the top left corner. The only way to fix this is to set a 4K resolution. But then, when i get back to the 1080p monitor, i can only see a small portion of the game because the game screen is much bigger now.

Basically, i have to manually switch resolutions every time i switch the screen. I don't have to do this in the "regular" GZDoom and this game doesn't work with it so i'm stuck with whichever version this comes with. Is there any way to fix this?

Edit: Fixed it by changing the DPI override settings in the compatibility options.

Edited by TasAcri