Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

2 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Friend, I live in Middle America and we use NTCS tvs here as well, even I do have a physical copy of the game in NTSC version, what are you talking about?

And yes, where I live, it uses the NTSC format for television too...

4 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

For some reason I thought you were in like South America or Europe or something. I don't know!

Almost of South America uses NTSC now...

6 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Almost of South America uses NTSC now...

Now, I know of PAL60 being used there, but this is news to me. I thought a lot of them were on PAL, and some of them still even stuck on SECAM? Ah, I know more about the formats themselves than I do where they've been implemented.

Are you sure that it isn't just that PAL60 is becoming more common? Because PAL60 is far, far better than butt-ugly badly engineered NTSC. I wish America switched to PAL60 as soon as it became clear to TV engineers which of the two color systems were superior.

34 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

ACS can also emulate the "One at a time action of the Macros". Though I would imagine it would be tough.

There are many edge cases that could break this (I have no idea on how ACS is implemented internally), but a mutex system wouldn't be hard to make.

A more robust implementation would need all scripts to be remade to work in a producer-consumer pattern:

- A queue of script numbers.

- A script that runs on OPEN, that does an infinite loop to check if there's a value in that queue, then runs that script with ACS_ExecuteWait. After execution, it removes the value from the queue.

- A second script that puts a script number on the queue.

Lots of race conditions could be had here too, but eh. Good luck on the queue implementation though, I'd recommend a circular buffer.

14 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

I thought a lot of them were on PAL, and some of them still even stuck on SECAM?

Brazil, Uruguay (PAL-M) and Argentina (PAL-N) run on PAL. Brazil and Uruguay use 525 lines, Argentina 625. French Guyana, as France does, runs SECAM. The rest uses NTSC, as far as I know. Oh, Paraguay runs both PAL-N and NTSC, as some TV stations broadcast both.

That said, digital-only broadcasting is becoming more and more common. There's like 2 channels with analog signals remaining in my town.

Edit: And on a sidenote, most of South America runs ISDB-Tb. Same as the Japanese standard but using h.264 for compression, because you try and compress a soccer match in MPEG2, heh.

Edited by Albertoni

Come to think of it, perhaps Doom 64 EX should have ACS support for mappers, as a more powerful alternative to MACRO. Would make mapper's lives easier, you could do more with it, and would make it easier to port maps between EX and GEC.

2 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

Now, I know of PAL60 being used there, but this is news to me. I thought a lot of them were on PAL, and some of them still even stuck on SECAM? Ah, I know more about the formats themselves than I do where they've been implemented.

Are you sure that it isn't just that PAL60 is becoming more common? Because PAL60 is far, far better than butt-ugly badly engineered NTSC. I wish America switched to PAL60 as soon as it became clear to TV engineers which of the two color systems were superior.

At least in here, Chile, I'm pretty sure that we use NTSC

Still not quite right. Actually, I have a friend over right now, I'll do the patch tomorrow or when he leaves in a couple hours. I swear the changes are super simple and easy, I've just been busy today, and lazy when I'm not busy.

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

r5nFn7H.png

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

I presume that your modified version is not released to the public :D...or am I wrong lol?

Doom 64 sector coloring was implemented in GZDoom 2.4.0.

12 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

Doom 64 sector coloring was implemented in GZDoom 2.4.0.

Yes, I know that. I was talking about that modified 1.9.1 version of GZDoom that they're using :)

They are using a modified GZDoom Builder with support for all of Doom 64 and PSX Doom's features, including their own implementation of colored lighting which works only on their modified version of GZDoom 1.9.1. So basically, they have made a GZDoom version of Doom 64 EX and Doom Builder 64. They are God, I'm telling you.

1 hour ago, Erick194 said:

And, what about this one?

The idea is, the status bar, minus the black bar, uses X% of the vertical size of the screen. Without the black bar, it must also use X%. So it would need to be slightly smaller than in the second picture.

In your first picture, it uses 64 pixels out of 464, and in the second the screen is 480 high, so it'd need to be 66.2 pixels tall or something.

I might be totally wrong, so wait for Blastfrog to give us his endless wisdom. But that's how I'm understanding it.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:48 PM, Albertoni said:

I might be totally wrong, so wait for Blastfrog to give us his endless wisdom.

You've got the right idea in the first sentence of your post (crop/scale up from the center only enough to get rid of the black bar and no more), but you're getting the numbers mixed up.

The PSX status bar is 32 pixels tall (40 with the black bar, but that's not actually an intended part of the graphic). The target screen height here is 224 pixels. Our test screenshots use 640x480 as a reference, because it's a standard 4:3 ratio resolution with square pixels, so we all know exactly what the result ends up looking like in practice.

32/224x480=68.57143 (rounded)

The status bar is meant to be 68.whatever pixels tall out of 480 as the end result.

BTW, my "wisdom" has its limitations. ;) I only assert myself when I strongly feel that I'm correct about something, which is not often. Sometimes I still get things wrong because I fail to take all of the factors into account (player speed in Doom 64, I feel foolish for not remembering that obviously the friction value was different too, which should factor into the conversion). Despite that, I tend to be far more thorough and knowledgeable about these things than the average layman.

-----

Anyhow, I felt like saying a few things. More than a few things. Point is, it's TL;DR and rather self-centered, don't bother reading unless you're having a hard time getting to sleep at night, it'll do the trick for that but not much else.

Spoiler

I have my own sins to atone for and I'm generally chill when any given situation has resolved itself. I'm simply bad at handling myself when people push the wrong buttons on me, intentionally or not. It's certainly something I need to work on, but I'm not wrong in saying that other people are not entirely innocent, themselves. To which extent, I don't know, but I don't think it matters. All I think that matters is that people not antagonize one another for no good reason. We can all be guilty of it in the thick of things, perhaps more importantly is that people avoid sparking such flames to begin with.

I got too carried away, myself. I don't hold anything against anyone in this thread, I've committed the same sin far worse and far more often. I think I significantly improved soon after returning my 2-3 year hiatus from the community, but I was still pretty bad. I still tend not to let things go that are personal to me, but in the years since I've been back, I think I've pretty much quashed the whole "don't stir the pot if I feel it's not called for." Of course, that's a subjective thing, and many probably feel that I stir the pot without good reason. Still, I try to act on my own conscience (instead of just my emotion) far more than I used to.

From the start of the argument in this thread, I knew the whole time I should've just let it be, but it became personal to me for a number of reasons and I just couldn't let it go until I felt like I had given everyone a piece of my mind. I was insulting in tone, sure, but I only stuck to the facts. I never attacked anyone's characters or made low blows such as cyan0s1s and his asinine "autism" comment, if I were a moderator of any forum, I'd sternly warn anybody for pulling that meanspirited and truly vile garbage.

The way I see it, it started because one person said something unnecessary that was the opposite of being constructive or contributing value, other people didn't actually bother to stop to think about the issue or whether they have a valid place in getting involved and dogpiled on me. How am I supposed to react? I fanned the flames and took it too far, sure. I don't handle myself well in these situations, but again, I have good reason to feel irritated with others and to defend myself against petty attacks. I say the sky is blue and that 2+2=4, and I get shit on by a group of people? And they get upvotes for being shitheads? How does that make any sense?

One way in which the new upvoting system here is actually useful: you can discern a poster's loyalties, biases, taste, reasoning skills, etc, based on the posts they like. That way I know who is truly utterly useless that I should pay no mind to. The people I truly dislike on this forum are those that I avoid talking to (that being said, don't assume that I dislike someone if I don't talk to them, it might also be that I simply find them and/or their posts uninteresting). If I'm bitching at someone, it's strangely enough because I actually otherwise like them and think they could be doing better. I wouldn't write walls of text to people who I thought were beyond reason. There are exceptions to every trend, however.

The reason I've been harping on about simple accuracy tweaks are because the authors purport to value accuracy. Is it unreasonable to contribute my knowledge in one particular field of accuracy that I specialize in and is one of the most overlooked things when it comes to emulators, ports, etc?

Erick has been totally cool about it and open to constructive dialogue. I'm not sure whether or not I can say the same for Nevander, he claimed accuracy at first, but then became frustrated when people questioned his methods and alterations. He backpedaled with "I never actually wanted true accuracy in the first place." I suspect that he's not being 100% honest about that, he clearly wanted accuracy but it became too much for him once the tweaks got to the point of needing to reference C or C++ source code (I'm no pro, but I can certainly read and write code). Some people also questioned his (frankly needless) subjective additions and deliberate alterations beyond mere bug fixes, he just locked down and (at least initially) shut out any further feedback of that nature.

He's making more of an effort now, but it's far less of an issue now, given the GEC project's existence and demonstration of sheer quality, not to mention its purer philosophy. Nevander sees this, too. Retribution is nevertheless an excellent project and a great stopgap, filling the void of a proper TC. GZDoom 64 is a bad port of a bad TC, and Brutal Doom 64 was based on that, inheriting its flaws and otherwise attempting to be a whole new game based on D64 rather than a normal adaptation. I have my issues with Retribution for sure, but it is damned excellent despite the things I complain about.

EDIT: There was another paragraph here, but I figured it'd be better off in its own post, as it has much more relevance to this thread than the entirety of the above wall of text.

Go see the later post that I put it in, it pertains to mainline GZDoom compatibility.

Edited by Blastfrog

Look the bottom line here is whatever can truly help either my project or this one is worth considering and working to include. You need to know I didn't want to shut anything or anyone out, it's just a culmination of events got me irritated and made me nope.avi for a bit. There's only so much I can do to please everyone, and I am trying to give the players more and more options to control the experience.

In fact, there's hardly anything that is forced anymore in my mod except for the skyboxes. I was trying to come up with a way to toggle between classic skies and skyboxes like EX does, but I have no idea how to do that since SkyViewpoints use TIDs differently.

7 minutes ago, Nevander said:

In fact, there's hardly anything that is forced anymore in my mod except for the skyboxes. I was trying to come up with a way to toggle between classic skies and skyboxes like EX does, but I have no idea how to do that since SkyViewpoints use TIDs differently.

Actual Doom 64 style skies are something that would absolutely need to be done engine-side. I can think of a couple of ways to potentially pull it off in mainline GZDoom with existing features, but it involves hideous hacks and a complex setup that would not be even remotely worth it.

That being said, I can't imagine it being too complex to add. From memory, it seems to be a pretty typical 2D sky (perhaps with some weird scaling effect applied, but otherwise very plain). The catch is that it scrolls in different directions depending on the way you're facing, to simulate it looking like it's a 3D layer of clouds overhead. Funny thing is, you could spin in circles at just the right speed and prevent the sky from actually going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Nevander said:

You need to know I didn't want to shut anything or anyone out, it's just a culmination of events got me irritated and made me nope.avi for a bit.

I know. I and others were being slight dicks about it, it's a reasonable response. The important part is that we're all cool with each other and remain open-minded to improvements.

7 hours ago, Albertoni said:

French Guyana, as France does, runs SECAM.

France, including French Guyana and all other overseas territory, moved to DVB-T back in 2011.

After this aspect ratio thing is sorted out (and it seems like it will be soon, fortunately), I have no more suggestions for this project with the exception of engine target.

It'll be a while yet until GEC is not only finished, but also if and when it and mainline GZDoom are modified to be compatible with one another. The project will not be truly mature until it is out of the cradle of an experimental fork, and into the broader world of mainline GZDoom compatibility. I know Erick wants to do things his own way, and there's no reason the GEC engine can't continue to exist and be maintained after that, but I insist that it's important to strongly consider eventually targeting mainline GZDoom as a long term project goal. Collaboration and communication with Graf is a must if they go this route.

18 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

It was my opinion to say that the aspect ratio doesn't matter as long as everything else is accurate.

Heh. It's all good, I guess, but if you just wrote it like that, there wouldn't have been any beef to start with. It was just a small mistake on your part, but everyone else who immediately joined and turned it into a pile should not be proud of themselves. (leo was pretty cool throughout the whole thing, though)

18 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

You retaliated against it when you should have just ignored it; then nobody would have given you as much beef including me.

That much is obvious. :P

17 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Nobody called you a nerd, the only one who's brought up being a nerd has been yourself, don't put words in other people's mouths.

Well, of course I'm a nerd about it, I'll admit it. I don't know why you say I'm putting words in anyone's mouths. Neither of you literally used the word "nerd" and I said you were calling me one like it's a bad thing, you do realize that I was going off of the clear implication (or at least the most obvious interpretation) of what you two had said and didn't literally mean you used that specific word, right?

Hell, if you wanna get specific about word usage, take a look at your own post on page 2. Don't act like you have any room to tell people about word usage, I haven't even seen you acknowledge it yet, let alone apologize (to any extent, sincere or not).

Edited by Blastfrog

I think this is the wished perspecttive:

t3se2tyfj75hxn2zg.jpg

Here's a video of this level with the status bar:

Maybe it's the fuzzy memory talking but that video looked nuts-on to me. Nice work!

Excellent work so far! I must say, this is giving me all sorts of ideas ...

Backtracking through the thread a bit, going back to the subject of speed running for a sec:

Not sure how important speed running is to the project, but if it is, then you will probably want to mimic PSX Doom's busted SR/S1 linedef activation system (or at least have an option for it). It doesn't check for anything but x/y coordinate distance, and this can be abused for speed runs through some maps. DR/D1's, WR/W1's and G1's are all unaffected, just the SR/S1's suffer from this issue.

Up to you guys, just figured I'd mention it. PSX Doom is kind of annoying to speed run anyways, so....

Idk if anyone noticed in both this and the PSX Doom TC; the blue keycard bars are not correct.  If you look very closely; one set of bars is shifted up one pixel and creates a gap at the bottom of the texture.  There's another blue keycard bar texture in the PSX Doom set that is the fixed one.

6 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Idk if anyone noticed in both this and the PSX Doom TC; the blue keycard bars are not correct. If you look very closely; one set of bars is shifted up one pixel and creates a gap at the bottom of the texture.

I noticed that while playing the TC, but I assumed it was there in the original PSX Doom and was kept in for the sake of total accuracy.

In the original PSX Doom it used the fixed one rather than the bugged one.  A way to fix this in the TC and here is to copy the fixed texture over the bugged one and save it.

10 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Idk if anyone noticed in both this and the PSX Doom TC; the blue keycard bars are not correct.  If you look very closely; one set of bars is shifted up one pixel and creates a gap at the bottom of the texture.  There's another blue keycard bar texture in the PSX Doom set that is the fixed one.

You are mistaken friend Impboy, that texture is shown in PSX Doom played in the console itself even in emulators, besides, only a LOCKBLU1 graphic exists in the whole PSXDOOM.WAD.

puuxb9qf5eg484vzg.jpg

I edited the map's line in the original game and I put it a 64 yoffset which it is unknown to me because it scaled smaller but you can see the proof that the black line is in the right side of the texture.

51 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

In the original PSX Doom it used the fixed one rather than the bugged one.  A way to fix this in the TC and here is to copy the fixed texture over the bugged one and save it.

Another way to correct this would be using TEXTURES.txt and reducing the width of the graphic to 8x128 and it would only show the bar without the "bug"

This looks very nice. I never got far in PSX Doom, but having a more or less accurate recreation port for it on PC is nice.

And even if it can't be merged in GZDoom upstream, I think it can be used to complete support in Eternity or be gradually ported/recreated via QZDoom.

On 2017-5-24 at 6:20 PM, Impboy4 said:

But why in the PSX Doom TC is there a LOCKBLUE texture?

That graphic is present in PSXDOOM.WAD from FINALDOOM CD.

Here some new videos about the intros and custom demos, hope you like them :D

DOOM

FINAL DOOM

How are you planning to release this when it's done? I'm hoping to be able to compile it from source on Linux. Gzdoom compiles just fine--so can we expect your custom version to do the same?

Also, are you planning a binary release on Linux?