Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

That credits music will always stay in my memory as the Gantlet theme from PSX Doom demo, lighting, sounds everything had such kick and power and atmosphere that years later after I finally played DOS originals couldn't repeat that unique experience. ;p

Why don't you add smooth doom monster animation and the high resolution texture pack? I think that it would be great combined with the psx doom atmosphear!

2 hours ago, elden4 said:

Why don't you add smooth doom monster animation and the high resolution texture pack? I think that it would be great combined with the psx doom atmosphear!

Because this mod is all about staying true to the original Playstation and Nintendo 64. If you want to add them, do it yourself when the mod is released.

Yep, this not yet another shitty TC with tons of scripts, goofy models and hd textures that kills the look of the original but closest PSX Doom as it can be, pure style. ;p

well , great ! as I love that psx version too I can't wait to play with a well polished and refined version , so will you cut out the lost levels and the no rest for the living maps too?

They cannot be cut out if they aren't part of the product in the first place. The aim of this project is basically like Doom64 EX: play the original game data from the console ROMs.

The Lost Levels and NRFTL levels will eventually become compatible with the mod in the future as an add-on with a bit of tweaking.

Sorry for not replying before, I've been very busy about something special but I'm gonna answer some posts here :)

On 2017-5-29 at 9:03 AM, DerSchicksalsschlächter said:

How are you planning to release this when it's done? I'm hoping to be able to compile it from source on Linux. Gzdoom compiles just fine--so can we expect your custom version to do the same?

Also, are you planning a binary release on Linux?

Well, I have never compiled on Linux but if you could do it when I release the source code, I hope it works for you, friend! :) 

On 2017-5-30 at 2:01 AM, elden4 said:

These games will keep the orginal esthetic but if you want to make a mod or a patch with these stuff, you can do it yourself, there's no problem! :)

6 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Well, I have never compiled on Linux but if you could do it when I release the source code, I hope it works for you, friend! :) 

Thanks for your response; I'm really looking forward to this.

On 2017-5-17 at 2:23 AM, Graf Zahl said:

That alone pretty much ensures that no merge will ever happen. Internally 1.9 is very different from 2.x and having an idea why they chose 1.9 over 2.x means that the changes will most likely be incompatible anyway.

On 2017-5-28 at 4:43 PM, Danfun64 said:

Considering that runs on a modified engine that doesn't seem mergable with modern GZDoom, I highly doubt this TC will be made obsolete.

This is for those who think that a compatibility from GZDoom 1.9.1 [GEC] Master Editon can't exist, but let me introduce you the GZDoom 3.0.1 [GEC] Master Edition, the GZDoom 3.0.1 tested!!

Too bad I have a computer that is too old to play GZDoom 3.0.0+

Speaking of the 1.9.1 version; will there be a true color renderer for software mode? My old computer can run 1.9.1 in software only because the hardware renderer needs OpenGL 2.0+ which I don't have.

There's a 3.0 branch based version of your engine?

I sure hope it can be merged into upstream! If it really uses the original data, such a merger would be pure awesome!

Seeing that Erick created a custom branch for 3.0.1 to ensure compatibility, then I gotta say this... Congrats, you did it :D

7 hours ago, elden4 said:

may I ask you a link for the 2.135 version? because the last I can find around is the 2.134 , thanks a lot!

tried to search this "ZIPEDUPPSXTCMUS" on Google , but nothing... can someone reupload?thanks!

How close is this to release? I assume it's kinda far away from it, but any info is great nonetheless.

Waiting is wisdow, that is the reason I'm trying to check that there are no bugs when I release it! :)

Good to know, i can wait my entire life (Because i'm already waiting for Half-Life 3 :P) But i really wanted to know if anything went wrong.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Erick194 said:

I think this is the wished perspecttive:

t3se2tyfj75hxn2zg.jpg

This is close put the mountain peaks are to small and don't match the size of what it's "supposed" to look like on a TV or fully rendered with the black bar and additional pixels from the top of the sky.

kawoqri8gbdzr8uzg.jpg?size_id=7

This is obviously the goal. There is no black bar but notice on the left side of the screen you cannot see both eyes of the Skull Face in the sky. However you can clearly see it's left cheekbone under it's left eye.

21d12crq647hc95zg.jpg?size_id=a

In the 2nd image the mountains are to big and the sky is to high as you can see both eyes in the Skull Face. In the third image the mountains are the correct size but the sky is still to high.

3ntkcknjrz29901zg.jpg?size_id=7

The first image appears to be the third image from the last pic. The 2nd Image appears to have no changes from the first except for a vertically stretched HUD.

r5nFn7H.png

This is Blastfrog's image. The mountain's are the proper size however you cannot see the left cheekbone in the Skull Face under it's left eye.

t3se2tyfj75hxn2zg.jpg?size_id=5

This is the last image you posted but the mountain peaks are a bit to small and the left cheekbone is still not visible. It looks like you are only a pixel or two off though when you compare it to the original picture taken off the TV. I assume adding those few pixels back in at the top of the screen will fix the mountain peaks and perfect the entire image so we view it the way it was "meant" to be seen.

As for my opinion on what is truly meant to be seen, I believe it is neither of the two options being discussed here. Obviously the black bar is not meant to be seen, but in order to pull that off on a NTSC Television set the top of the image would also have to be "cropped" by the Television set, which was the method they used because they had no choice. When fully rendered we get a black bar see more of the image on the top of the screen. So, in my opinion, the proper aspect ratio would eliminate the black bar but keep the top of the screen. However I am not sure that is possible because when you do that you get the 2nd image from this picture...

21d12crq647hc95zg.jpg?size_id=a

...and the problem with that image is the size of the mountains, they are to big as mentioned earlier. So it's either...

1.) How it was originally viewed on a Television.

2.) Fully Rendered

3.) Fully Rendered without the black bar, which leads to a sky box that is further back than how it was originally intended to appear.

If increasing the resolution changes the skybox no matter what, which I believe GZDoom does anyways if my memory serves correct, I would go with option 3. I think we can all agree that the black bar is not intended to be seen, but I would prefer to see a fully rendered image as opposed to what was cropped off due to the nature of old Television sets. The only reason the black bar is there is because without it we would not be able to read the bottom of the HUD on a TV set after all, but they still rendered the top of the screen so I believe it should be included.

Edited by EternalWolf

This is a simple screenshot taken from different emulators, the no$psx v1.9 and ePSXe 1.9.25

srxrx6a6qbq8n8izg.jpg

As you can notice, it uses the same resolution but getting rid 8 pixels off top and botton from the screen. On the Tv, it looks similar to no$psx but regarding to that I can make the extracting program can choose the screen resolution you wish to play with. Although if you take the status bar off, the sky will adjust itself and can be seen completed.

Is it really that important to be 100% identical down to the pixels? Seems a little bit of a ridiculous goal even for a highly accurate TC. Just my two cents.