Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thrasher9000

9 levels for HERETIC

Posting for reminding myself of it's existence once i have some free time. Are you interested in demos? i might be able to record a FDA if you are.

I did Sitnalta and now you're tempting to play this one? It's on!!! :)

In txt: "E1M6 features the Firemace weapon, which only appears 3/4 of the time you start the level (this is a bug in Heretic itself)."

This is not bug - this is Heretic feature.

22 hours ago, Cacowad said:

Posting for reminding myself of it's existence once i have some free time. Are you interested in demos? i might be able to record a FDA if you are.

I'm interested any custom Heretic demos, but only in vanilla format. Cacowad, if you have yours demos in vanilla format (FDA, etc.) I would have looked with interest. This wad not vanilla compatible.

I wanted to play some Heretic creations again so i played the first three Maps of this :) pretty nice and Heretic like design with challenging but not to much fights. I liked the Monster variety and the Weapon Placement. I just think you should have placed more munition. Seems like you just gave the Player Munition if a Fight was coming. Also try to bring a little bit more detail in your Maps. But apart from that cool Maps ^^... oh and good music choice... I recognized some Scythe II tracks :)

Nice maps, short but intense, the Scythe formula in Heretic. I think the tightness on ammo is a good way to force players to use items so don't give more ammo. :p

OK. Here's my review:

-This mapset clearly consists of strategies to conserve ammo and good use of the items, especially the time bombs. Also, knowing the drops of the monsters is critical. Like the tome of power drop from the wizards or the ammo drops by those weredragons or those ophidians.

-E1M1 to E1M4 are basically "learn to save ammo or use the staff in case of emergency :)". Also, this part of the mapset doesn't have much detail. Btw, good planification of those green slimy bombs to kill the monsters in M2.

-E1M5 and E1M6 are the maps where you can have the liberty to use as much ammo as you can and after map 5, the mapset is easy to finish, in my opinion.

Also, good thing that the maker put the wings of wrath in E1M5 to avoid the minotaurs and the final part.

-I liked the secret level, tons of monsters, fun map in general.

-E1M7 has the gauntlets. If the gauntlets had been shown up in earlier levels, the mapset should have been much easier. Also, that name for the map :D.

-And E1M8.........the map can be cleared by not killing all the monsters but I took the time and killed them all. Good thing that I saved two rings for this map. This map is clearly the hardest, same for the final part of M4.

My rating for this mapset is 7/10. For the beginning part, it's not for everyone. And as I said, after clearing M5, the mapset is easy if you're careful enough for ammo. Not too much detail, just going straight to the action. Nonetheless, a fun mapset.

EditWhere's the Firemace, by the way? :D

Edited by leodoom85

I felt that there was too much crossbow ammo, not enough blaster ammo, starting from map 4/5. At least the way I play (where I try not to use crossbow against ghost monsters and disciples, as it's not an efficient weapon against them).

Still, with time bombs, tomes of powers, and ammo carried from previous levels, I never ended up having to fall back on staff/gauntlets.

Always up for more Heretic, though I know there's stuff I haven't touched yet (those two episode 3 replacements from several years ago). Anything else noteworthy I missed?