Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Should I buy a VR headset just for Doom?

Recommended Posts

I have almost no interest in VR for the most part, but I have seen some videos of people playing Doom and Doom 3 with OR and the Vive and it's looking pretty cool. To be honest I am legit considering buying VR just for Doom and Doom 3, but I only will if it actually works and plays properly.

 

For those of you who already have VR, does Doom and Doom 3 play well in VR? Is it more immersive than playing normally and are the controls ok? And are you using OR or Vive?

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Is it more immersive than playing normally

Have you never played a game in VR? That's the whole point of it! The only negative point I could see on it that the sprites would probably look like carboard cut outs due to your ability to see depth.

 

I've played in VR , but I don't actually own one, so I can't really tell how the games feel and control. I've heard about people getting motion sickness with these fast-paced games, though.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Have you never played a game in VR? That's the whole point of it! The only negative point I could see on it that the sprites would probably look like carboard cut outs due to your ability to see depth.

 

I've played in VR , but I don't actually own one, so I can't really tell how the games feel and control. I've heard about people getting motion sickness with these fast-paced games, though.

My concern are the controls. The increased immersion isn't going to matter if the controls suck. This is also the biggest reason I am not sure yet if I should buy an OR or a Vive.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry for necroing this thread back but am I losing anything by getting a Vive instead of Oculus if I want to play the original Doom games? I can see they have support for Oculus but what about the Vive? The reason I ask is because my original plan was to buy the cheaper Oculus but once I realized it doesn't come with touch which has to be bought by itself at a high price it doesn't really seem that much cheaper at all.

Share this post


Link to post

Traditional FPS locomotion in VR is absolutely horrible. And something as fast as Doom is just vomit fest.

 

Oculus actually do bundle touch with rift nowadays. What country are you in? I also find Rift more comfortable for long sessions and touch to be slightly nicer than the vive wands, but there are a few things on Steam that doesn't support touch so for those you need Vive. That said, VR is awesome, get a headset!

 

Source: Am a VR professional.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, ukiro said:

Traditional FPS locomotion in VR is absolutely horrible. And something as fast as Doom is just vomit fest.

 

Really? The videos of people playing Doom and Doom 3 seem to do it fine.

Share this post


Link to post

Sensitivity to vestibular missmatches (vection) is highly individual, and indeed some people are seemingly able to stomach almost anything. The vast majority however, can't play an FPS like that for more than a minute or two before they get sick. There's a good reason almost no VR titles are even remotely close to Doom in speed, and that most employ different types of locomotion.

 

Maybe you're one of the lucky(?) few that can handle extreme visual vestibular stimuli. But I'd still argue that even without the crippling nausea, there is a sense of something being wrong with this kind of locomotion, undermining the very immersion you came fore. To me, the ideal marriage of VR and Doom would come in the form of a map editor.

Share this post


Link to post

In my experience (as a DK1 owner, though I can assure you that Oculus will never see another penny from me again, the bastards), I only felt nauseated early on, I got used to the headset within a few days of use and the only problem after that was slight head/eye ache after extended use (extended use meaning like two or three hours, something that I don't recommend).

 

I have no idea whether or not any classic Doom ports support a Doom 3 BFG Edition style head/neck view positioning model, but they ought to.

Share this post


Link to post

 

I just got my Rift today, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I had my doubts before and frankly I was worried I would regret my decision, but after being shown the demos that play after you have installed it and after having played a few levels of Doom and Brutal Doom 64, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have been completely blown away. VR hasn't just surpassed my expectations, it has DESTROYED THEM.

 

Playing Brutal Doom 64 with the rift was the most immersive gaming experience I have ever had (the original Doom was ok in VR but it's just 10x better in Brutal Doom 64 thanks to the more realistic textures and lighting and effects). It's nothing short of amazing standing next to an actual full sized imp. Being surrounded by a horde of demons has never felt so real! And the best part is that the controls are actually good, or at least for Doom anyway (I am using an Xbox one controller for moving around and the rift to aim).

 

Like seriously, just HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Anybody who calls VR a gimmick is a fucking retard. And this is coming from somebody who had massive doubts before trying it. Only real problem I have with it is that keeping the damn thing on for more than 30 min isn't that great, so you have to take breaks.

 

14 hours ago, ukiro said:

Sensitivity to vestibular missmatches (vection) is highly individual, and indeed some people are seemingly able to stomach almost anything. The vast majority however, can't play an FPS like that for more than a minute or two before they get sick. There's a good reason almost no VR titles are even remotely close to Doom in speed, and that most employ different types of locomotion.

 

Maybe you're one of the lucky(?) few that can handle extreme visual vestibular stimuli. But I'd still argue that even without the crippling nausea, there is a sense of something being wrong with this kind of locomotion, undermining the very immersion you came fore. To me, the ideal marriage of VR and Doom would come in the form of a map editor.

 

I guess I must be one of the few lucky ones. I did feel a bit dizzy for the first 5-10 min but then I just got used to it and can now play Doom and Doom 64 without feeling too bad even when lots of stuff is happening. I can totally see how many might not be able to handle it though.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×