Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Affirmative

Any word on a movie???

Ct_red_pants said:

too bad about the game.

Mortal Kombat 2 is great, and 3 introduced the kombo system, which is really good, it takes some skill to master those big kombos. Anything after MK3 is crap. I guess MK5 is shaping up to be worth something. Wonder if they can pull it off, or fatality this franchise once and for all.

I said badass Japanese animators (see Vampire Hunter D, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop, Bastard! for some good anime), not the Godzilla or Power Ranger jackasses. And by badass I mean not the dragon ball shit.

Use3D said:

Mortal Kombat 2 is great, and 3 introduced the kombo system, which is really good, it takes some skill to master those big kombos. Anything after MK3 is crap. I guess MK5 is shaping up to be worth something. Wonder if they can pull it off, or fatality this franchise once and for all.

Mortal Kombat II was the BEST game in the series. MK 3 was terrible. Played and looked like ass. The sprites were not nearly as big, or as well done as in MK II. Ultimate MK3 was much better.. but still no match for MK II. MK 4 is a fun game. Nothing to really wrtie home about, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Funny as hell it is. MK5 did NOT impress me in the least for the trailer. I think this people should just let thier characters DIE and move on to make something esle for god sake!

Gokuma said:

I said badass Japanese animators (see Vampire Hunter D, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop, Bastard! for some good anime), not the Godzilla or Power Ranger jackasses. And by badass I mean not the dragon ball shit.

I know what you were talking about, and I was joking. Actually, I agree. The japanese have some of the best animators because it's custom in Japan to put your entire life into your job. So they're usually pretty damned good at what they do.

gatewatcher said:

I'm willing to sacrifice Wolfe to Hollywood, but Doom falling victim to Hollywood would be just too much for me :(

Yeah, but you're also a ruthless heretic j/k
No way am I gonna accept a sacrifice to Hollywood including any of these two games. No..fucking...way.
I could accept a Wolfie movie if it was done by someone serious (non-Holliwood), who's a fan of the games.

I think the biggest threat surrounding the concept of a Doom film is that that game itself asks the player to draw many of his or her own conclusions. Players of the game who are used to coming up with their own explanations for their actions would not relate to what is scripted in the film. Disatisfaction ensues.

Somehow I find that as a film, Doom would work best if it portrayed the character development of a marine surrounded by hellspawn [re: Event Horizon] instead of his mindless efforts to... shoot... things...

I mean... didn't you read the Doom comic book?

doom could be a great, and terrifying movie if the right steps are taken twards it, not rushed and tossed around like it was nothing - like the other game movies that were made and didnt to to well, so basicly iD software would have to really like the script for it to happen, wich means there has to be a director thats willing to compramise with iD and go with what they praticly want in their script ..

skinpack said:

I think the biggest threat surrounding the concept of a Doom film is that that game itself asks the player to draw many of his or her own conclusions. Players of the game who are used to coming up with their own explanations for their actions would not relate to what is scripted in the film. Disatisfaction ensues.

Somehow I find that as a film, Doom would work best if it portrayed the character development of a marine surrounded by hellspawn [re: Event Horizon] instead of his mindless efforts to... shoot... things...

I completely agree.

skinpack said:

I think that the movie should leave the question of what the monsters really are. Some people enjoy thinking of them as aliens from a hellish dimension, while others think they are demons. So for everyone to enjoy it, I think that the viewer should never find the truth (kinda like X-Files with the aliens, until X-Files got really shitty). Maybe the marine should make an attempt to find out what they are, but never succede. Instead he's got to be satisfied that he's stopped the invasion (or so he thinks).

I've written a DOOM movie script, download here:

http://www.teamdeim.com/rellik/DOOMscript.zip

Heh, I dunno if it's what anyone wants, but it was pretty fun to write. Less than 2 months to figure out the time-line and write/edit the script, too. :p Granted there's a few parts that I've figured out better ways of doing but I don't really feel like going back into it. If anyone does read it I'd appreciate any feedback.

I talked to Marty Stratton quite a while back and the way he was talking about it id Software doesn't really have any say about the movie. He said they've sold the rights to JFR productions so JFR is in control. Which is BAD. JFR so far has only made total shit low budget movies.

I am reading your script, Rellik. For a first shot [I assume], it is very, very enjoyable. Keep it up.

Rellik said:

I've written a DOOM movie script, download here:

http://www.teamdeim.com/rellik/DOOMscript.zip

Heh, I dunno if it's what anyone wants, but it was pretty fun to write. Less than 2 months to figure out the I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON and write/edit the script, too. :p Granted there's a few parts that I've figured out better ways of doing but I don't really feel like going back into it. If anyone does read it I'd appreciate any feedback.

I talked to Marty Stratton quite a while back and the way he was talking about it id Software doesn't really have any say about the movie. He said they've sold the rights to JFR productions so JFR is in control. Which is BAD. JFR so far has only made total shit low budget movies.

You shoulda posted this in the fan fic forum.
[edit]I've read this script before and no, I didn't like it at all.
1. The Doomguy is a damn PILOT???
2. Those talking motorbikes are annoyoing as crap
3. The Doomguy is really pathetic if he gets messed up by a lone revenant, which he does in that script.

Those three are only some of the reasons why I dislike this movie script[/edit]

1. The Doomguy is a damn PILOT???

Meh, when I just thought going for the obvious (and hugely overdone) "lone marine / one man army saving the universe" thing was retarded. I mean, how many times have we seen that already? I wanted a hero who knew how to fight with his brain too.

2. Those talking motorbikes are annoyoing as crap

I think they're great, in concept anyway. Others may think less of my execution, but I needed something other than the DOOMGUY running around shooting shit. That and they'd make for some spectacular visuals.

3. The Doomguy is really pathetic if he gets messed up by a lone revenant, which he does in that script.

I'm really tired of hero's who get shot 12 times, break both legs, fall off a biulding into a lake of burning gasoline, but who still manage to remain unaffected. I think it shows that one small slip up and these monsters will destroy you. Otherwise how could they beat the security forces so easily? Then one guy is supossed to just waltz in and waste them without breaking a sweat? From the beginning I wanted the baddies to be brutal, unstoppable, but still somewhat intelligent. I wanted enemies that weren't just candy-asses. With them, you make one wrong move, get too close, and your fucked. Heh, I wanted monsters I could respect in the morning. :p

Meh, when I just thought going for the obvious (and hugely overdone) "lone marine / one man army saving the universe" thing was retarded. I mean, how many times have we seen that already? I wanted a hero who knew how to fight with his brain too.

Just because he's a marine doesn't mean that he can't think.

I'm really tired of hero's who get shot 12 times, break both legs, fall off a biulding into a lake of burning gasoline, but who still manage to remain unaffected. I think it shows that one small slip up and these monsters will destroy you. Otherwise how could they beat the security forces so easily? Then one guy is supossed to just waltz in and waste them without breaking a sweat? From the beginning I wanted the baddies to be brutal, unstoppable, but still somewhat intelligent. I wanted enemies that weren't just candy-asses. With them, you make one wrong move, get too close, and your fucked. Heh, I wanted monsters I could respect in the morning. :p

You just don't get it do ya?
What I thought was pathetic was that he couldn't avoid the revenant - if you ever read my Doom story carefully, you'd see that I also made it so that the doomguy barely ever got hit. Why? Because if he got hit, he'd be close to death. So I agree that the monsters should be dangerous and should pose a threat - it's not THAT which I criticize.
Now, there's plenty of opportunities to show on other characters that the monsters are dangerous as fuck.

You're tired of a seemingly unstoppable marine? Dude, do you ever read fanfic? Most of these story make the marine so that he too screws up, is scared shitless and is close to dying a lot of times - that's what I'M tired of - I long for a story where the marine seems at least as badass as he is in the game (while still seeming somewhat realistic).

I think the main reason why I dislike the story in your script is that it is not true to Doom at all - that would be at least *one* of my demands for a Doom movie. The Backstory and basic story line must be true to the game - there are plenty of holes in the game's story that can be filled with interesting new plot twists, why waste the whole story by altering it close-to-fundamentally?

Heh, what does DOOM fanfic have to do with a DOOM movie? I'm tired of movies with unstoppable hero's. Fanfic has nothing to do with it and to be honest I've never read any DOOM fanfic. In all my stories I seem to have a thing for killing off main characters. :p And Justin doesn't really screw up, he's just out matched by the Revenant from the start. It's like pitting any un-armed human against say a starving Tiger. Advantage goes to the tiger. Armed human against a 7 foot tall super strong animated skeleton? Advantage = Revenant. Despite the incredibly unreal situation I still wanted as much realism as possible.

Or perhaps I shoulda had him walk in after the first bunch of soldiers to see what happened to them (as we've seen in almost every horror movie ever made) and then he just mows down all the baddies with seemingly bottomless clips and an endless string of dumb one-liners?

The problem with the original DOOM story is that there's almost no story. Frankly, the thought of another "marine goes in guns blazing and saves teh day" movie makes me wanna hurl. And lets face it, when a company spends 150 million to make a movie,they'll want a good story that'll make money and no one will care what the purists think. By all means, write your own script and show me exactly how you'd fill 120 pages with exciting (to the general populace) scenes and stay true to the original. Saying it can be done is quite different from actually doing it. :p

That was canned by "legal pressures". The guy who was making it said he deleted everything, something I don't quite believe.

Zaldron said:

That was canned by "legal pressures". The guy who was making it said he deleted everything, something I don't quite believe.

It hasn't been canned completely, afaik, Evermail is still working on it.
And Rellik, you still haven't understood a thing of what I have said, but nevermind - I stated that I didn't like it and I stated WHY I didn't like it.

Oh and btw, the Revenant is the dumbest monster to gain an edge on the Doomguy imHo (it's just a fucking skeleton for crying out loud!) - the Archvile, or, more realistically (considering that we want the Doomguy to survive), the Baron of Hell would be far cooler to put in that situation. That revenant "scene" made me cringe.

Now let's kill this discussion before I loose my patience, ok?

Um, in my personal opinion, if you made a movie based on Doom, why would you keep the species from the game? If they had had the tech and possibilities when they made the game, I'm sure they would have given every demon an individual look and behaviour. When you make a movie, you're not limited to separate all villains into species, it would be much cooler if all demons had their unique hellish deformations and mutations.

if they did make a doom moive i think it would be like starship troopers or some thing i would like to see another coed shower tho mmmm yay!

shiMy said:

if they did make a doom moive i think it would be like starship troopers or some thing i would like to see another coed shower tho mmmm yay!

I was thinking along the lines of Starship Troopers as well, but I wasn't thinking about coed showers. I was thinking more about the parallels between soldiers shooting hordes of mindless, deadly, tough-as-nails bugs on Klendathu and soldiers shooting hordes of mindless, deadly, tough-as-nails demons in hell.

No thanks, a Doom movie should be more like Aliens meets Starship Troopers.

dsm said:

No thanks, a Doom movie should be more like Aliens meets Starship Troopers.

Dude, you smacked that particular nail right on the head. The 'Aliens' aproach gives us some extra (and expendable) marines, and the starship troopers aproach would go straight for the throat with the hordes of demonic beasty-twats.
If the film should get as far as (Doom II) Earth tho, i'd like a glimpse at something like an apocalyptic aftermath when our hero returns to Mother Terra - along the same line as Resident Evil (wiiiide open for a sequel).

Uhh, I think a 7 foot tall demonic super strong skeleton would be more than a match for ANY human soldier. You're fighting against bone. You can't wind it, can't knock it unconscious, can't injure it. "It absolutely will not stop until you are dead!" heh couldn't resist. :)

Rellik said:

Uhh, I think a 7 foot tall demonic super strong skeleton would be more than a match for ANY human soldier. You're fighting against bone. You can't wind it, can't knock it unconscious, can't injure it. "It absolutely will not stop until you are dead!" heh couldn't resist. :)

Easy to take down - just aim at the head and the bullets will rip its skull apart. Bones are not able to withstand the kinetic energies caused by a bullet.

Anyway, I was thinking about a movie about a small army of marines that go in, the hero is somehow left behind (lost in the confusion? Knocked unconscious? Something else?) and we follow how the rest of the marines fight for survival, but slowly,yet steadily they die off one by one. Until only the hero is left and of course the last part of the movie is about him making his way through the inferno.

Now I said a "small army", but we will only follow one of the squads (because they split up in the very beginning as the complex is huge) until the squad members are seperated from one another.

So the first bit (after the setup of course) shows the story as horror ending in all-out war. The all-out war part isn't too long, but long enough to show the chaos of the battle.

Then it shows how the squad members from the doomguy's squad (because those are his 'buddies') each are seperated and how they fare alone - the movie gives no clear indication whether some of those will die (but it should be obvious who the Doomguy is), but eventually they will all die. This is a mostly horror part with a little action thrown in.

And finally we get the grand finale that shows things from the perspective of the Doomguy as he makes his way through the portal and into Hell.

Something like this might be to my liking.

dsm said:

Anyway, I was thinking about a movie about a small army of marines that go in, the hero is somehow left behind (lost in the confusion? Knocked unconscious? Something else?)

Sleeping in the broom closet?

the_Danarchist said:

Sleeping in the broom closet?

No, that's only stupid idiots who do that - a soldier who can wipe out scores of horrific monsters wouldn't be the loser type that sleeps in a broom closet - especially not when there's a wailing alarm.