Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Movie Monsters

With the recent slew of reboots coming out of Hollywood, I find myself pleasantly surprised with how well the movie monsters have been redone.  I typically don't enjoy reboots or remakes or decades later sequels...but I bit the bullet and watched the new Godzilla and the new King Kong movies with my girlfriend (she loves all types of movies) and was amazed at how much I enjoyed the newest incarnations of classic beasts.  This makes me especially optimistic for the new Alien: Covenant movie.  As I've stated before, the Xenomorph is my favorite movie monster.  So I'm looking forward to seeing it as long as this great movie-monster reboots thing is the start of another cinematic trend.  

So how about you guys?  Are you optimistic about the new Alien movie?  What are some of your favorite and least favorite monster movies?  Are there any classics you'd love to see rebooted?  Are there any that you think should be absolutely left alone?  

The Xenomorph is my favourite movie monster, easily. Reviews for the upcoming movie lead me to expect that it'll be somewhat decent. 

I thought Skull Island was awesome. I heard something about a King Kong/Godzilla mash-up movie in the works too.

I'd really love to see another Doom movie, with Hell and cyberdemons. The existing movie isn't really that bad, but it lacks most of the iconic Doom stuff.

11 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Reviews for the upcoming movie lead me to expect that it'll be somewhat decent.

I hear it's Prometheus 2, except darker, more brutal and waaaaay more stupid.

Megalyth: I agree with that.  My biggest gripes with the Doom movie is that it was just another cookiecutter monster movie with nothing unique about it, nothing that sets it apart from the flock as it's own "Doom" movie.  The fact that you could have called it any other title and nobody would think "Oh yeah, this must have been based on that Doom game." speaks a lot to why I didn't care for it.  That, and I hate Dwayne Johnson as an actor.  I don't view him as anything more than a typical hardass character, and that bores me.  Plus the fact that all occult references were absent from the film ruined it for me...I'm sorry, aliens?  Yeah, been done before, chief.  Give me some demons, a double barreled shotgun, and some horned biped satyr looking beasts that hurl green fire at me.  Don't give me this steaming pile of shit with a doom logo slapped onto it.

On the topic of King Kong/Godzilla...I would definitely love to see that.

Dew: Stupid how?

4 minutes ago, Tracer said:

I hate Dwayne Johnson as an actor.

And I thought you couldn't possibly sink any lower.

Well, I'm full of surprises!  I'm not too surprised that you are entertained by the likes of him, though.  But I'm curious on what you've heard about the new Alien that makes it sound stupid; maybe you heard something that I didn't.

How Low, Can I go?!

29 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

I heard something about a King Kong/Godzilla

I've not heard anything but the after credits for the new king kong suggests it. It was a bad ass movie imo. I liked the new godzilla as well.

As for alien, Prometheus was ok, but the way they have started to phrase the Xenomorph irritates me. in Prometheus I felt like they were framing up the aliens to be a way bigger thing than they were in the begining. I loath story changes like that, it's tacky, and feels childish to try and shoehorn your stories aspects from an understandable storyline into some kind of "Mega-Epic". I'd have to rewatch Prometheus to point to exactly where they have started doing this.

The chronicals of riddick did a similar move with all the "Furian" Bullshit. Pitch Black in a way is something I see as a parallel to the Alien movies, starts off as an understandible and great scifi film, but then tries to be "upscaled" into something That doesn't really fit.

I too love scifi and monster films. (edit) I'v got to say for the Doom movie, it was ass, just all around ass for the most part.

22 minutes ago, Tracer said:

That, and I hate Dwayne Johnson as an actor.  I don't view him as anything more than a typical hardass character, and that bores me.

Dwayne Johnson is a good actor IMO, but Doom was probably his worst performance. Karl Urban is typically pretty wooden, which made the movie even more dull.

I also never understood the obsession that movie snobs have with "practical effects". Sometimes they look good, in the case of Doom, they fell short. Even in 2005, CG was at a point that the demons could have been made much better.

2 minutes ago, Ralphis said:

Video of The Rock 

That is exactly where he belongs.  In professional wrestling appealing to professional wrestling fans.

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

Are there any that you think should be absolutely left alone? 

I swear to god if someone ever remakes Jaws I'll never watch another movie from the filmmakers or the studio that backed them again.

^This summer, relive the terror.  Relive the nightmares.  Bring a bigger boat...because Dwayne Johnson is "JAWS".  Featuring appearances by fast driving, exploding explosions that trigger more explosions, romance, and revenge.

Edited by Tracer

The Rock is a natural comedian, which puts him in the Arnold territory of legendary. Also yes, I am one of the few people on Earth who truly and unironically like Southland Tales. I bet that makes me predictable once again.

Dwayne's highly entertaining in otherwise meh or bleh films. He's also a super cool dude IRL, one of the nicest people around.

As for my favorite movie monsters its a tossup between the Xenomorph, the Thing, and the Cenobites.

The Rock was fucking hilarious in Central Intelligence. Way funnier than Kevin Hart. I guess you could say he was the monster in that movie because he killed.

How can you hate Dwayne Johnson? The man is so fun to watch acting whether it be in the ring or on the big screen. He just has a charisma about him.

I rather liked the way the monster in Cloverfield was portrayed.  And of course nothing beats Ray Harryhausen's creations.  His Medusa in Clash of the Titans was always my favorite.

medusa-1.jpg?w=395&h=222&crop&ssl=1

PS: +1 for "the Rock kicks ass".  He makes bad films fun.

I love Medusa!My favorite Greek mythological creature.Also Pan the satyr.But I do like horror & sci fi.No romance movies, ugh!

1 hour ago, dew said:

I bet that makes me predictable once again.

Hohohoooo, try as you might my friend, I'm not taking the bait.  But I am curious about what you heard was stupid about the new Alien movie.  I wonder whether or not you heard something that I didn't.

Also, it appears as though I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to not liking Dwayne Johnson (with exception to Central Intelligence, which I must agree he was hilarious in).  I guess that makes me unique!

As someone who major in performance arts, Dwayne Johnson is an okay actor. I can see his performance development from the third Mummy.  That guy getting good by times. 

For the sake of topic, I wonder if Titans considered as monsters? No, not the anime Titans. I mean the Greek ones. And I love Mothra. 

Mothra is my favorite Godzilla...um...enemy?  I never knew how to properly classify Godzilla's adversaries.  But I have always had this strange obsession with moths.

Deadites from Evil Dead, the Thing, the Xenomorphs, and the Cenobites. I don't really have a list of favorite monsters, but these are the ones that usually come to mind. The sheer ingenuity behind them is what makes them so great.

Also, unrelated, but The Rock is the fucking man.

The Rock is a fine actor, I just wish his movies weren't consistently trash. I'd love to see him appear in a dramatic indie film or something.

The Thing is propably it for me. 

Also most BOW's from the Resident Evil movies, mainly the animated ones. Resident Evil Damnation is a prime example, it had villagers with the las plagas, lickers and tyrants.

I wish they'd feature the hunter more, I don't even recall seeing it in any RE movie.

I wish Tar Man would return, without CGI effects of course. Looks more real that way.

The Fly, final ending transformation. One of the most horrifying and depressing things of all cinema.

tumblr_norgl70lYy1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

tumblr_mz64gfieU01rne776o2_250.gif