Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Affirmative

Underwater monsters??

Well, it's certainly possible. Replace the relevant sprites with octopus/shark etc. images, make a ZDoom wad and stick 'em in underwater zones only.

(but I won't be doing that)

You can do this with normal Doom(2) enemies....problem is you have to actually go underwater to get them to fight you (at least in my experiences.).

DooMBoy said:

You can do this with normal Doom(2) enemies....problem is you have to actually go underwater to get them to fight you (at least in my experiences.).

For sure, just make the marine dood walk across a bridge with 2 pools on each side filled with monsters etc. Who knows :/

DooMBoy said:

What? afaik, you cannot go under water in doom...
edit: Oh, this must be a zdoom thing I guess.

There's plenty of water on Mars, actually. It's just all underground.

Well, it's ice. I don't know of any animal that can swim through ice. If we see water baddies in Doom there has to be some total recall action going on.

Yeah, an octopus or some tenticle monster like one. It would grab you and you'd have to kill it before it draws you closer and chews you to death.

The problem is if you make the monsters floating, how do you keep them from flying up out of and above the water? I guess contain them to sectors completely underneath water or make them big enough to not be able to come up inbetween some bridge things (with a 3D bridge or floor over the water or whatever liquid).

Coopersville said:

Yeah, an octopus or some tenticle monster like one. It would grab you and you'd have to kill it before it draws you closer and chews you to death.

Nah. That reminds me of half-life.

Or a TOXIN MONSTER, some horrible mutation of hell blah de blah.

Maybe some sort of mutant Caco, evolved to survive underwater and in heavily radioactive areas.

I've tried a few "fishy" beasts of one type or another. The problem is they cannot simply be put in any sector as they would rise up above the water and appear to be flying (as has already been said). So you have to end up limiting them to deep water sectors that are totally under water, and trap them in there using monster blocking lines.

The ability to restrict a monster to only under water sections of a deep water pool would be good. Zdoom (maybe other ports too) already has it so that you can set a sector to have different affects on the player movement physics above and below water, and now has Duke Nukem style teleporting liquid surfaces that activate when the players eyeline falls below water, so maybe a flag for monsters wouldn't be too hard.

BTW, if you want to see an example wad of the "Duke Nukem" style water that I was talking about you can run the following file under the latest Zdoom beta.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/pool1.zip

What's all this crap about water on Mars? If UAC got air into their bases, and gravity, and marines (who drink water) they presumably got water on there as well no? So go for it, do a water beastie.

Ultimate DooMer said:

I think they found ice on Mars a few years ago...

The ice caps on Mars have been known for a grand long time.

Shaviro said:

Nah. That reminds me of half-life.

Those tiger fishies were my favorite!!! And when they died they floated belly up, that was soo cute =]

<i>The problem is if you make the monsters floating, how do you keep them from flying up out of and above the water? I guess contain them to sectors completely underneath water or make them big enough to not be able to come up inbetween some bridge things (with a 3D bridge or floor over the water or whatever liquid).</i>

Why not just draw the creature higher on the image so it seems to be floating... of make a lobster like creature that scuttles along the bottom.

Bottom feeders are always screwy looking ;)

Take the Pleco for instance.

Oh come on! An Octopus from hell? Thats the dumbest idea ever ever heard!! A creature more similar to the one in Hexen would be great though, you have to remeber that all these creatures are from hell, they are not aliens, they are demons, hellspawn! Maybey a lava beast kinda like the one from Diablo, but looks a whole lot better! Yes there is water on Mars in this game, the only problem is you can't swim in it, only walk on it! :(

kallisti said:

If someone puts an octopus in Doom, I will have an orgasm and love them forever.

you're scaring me...