Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

PSA for PrBoom-plus users

As some of you may know, prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 had a feature added at one point that "automated" sr50. Whenever you'd use sr40 and press strafe on, the game would automatically add the turn L/R command necessary to go into sr50. This was a highly contentious feature that couldn't be turned off and arguably provided an unfair advantage in highly optimized speedruns.

After some pleading entryway agreed to remove the feature in the newest build of 2.5.1.5.

I would like to ask everyone using prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 or .5 to update to the build from 2017-May-05 or newer.

Download is available on the changelog page.

Alternatively, if the switch to SDL2 libraries in 2.5.1.5 causes you problems or you can't accomodate to the new mouse sensitivity, you can use Krankdud's edit of 2.5.1.4 that adds a switch for the 2-key behaviour and turns it off by default. If you choose to use it, it would be prudent to mark it in the textfiles as, say, 2.5.1.4-k.

Edited by dew

For people not wanting to move to PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5, Krankdud has a version of 2.5.1.4 which has 2key SR50 disabled by default.
You can download that at this link

how did people solve that mouse sensitivity issue switching from 2.5.1.4 -> .5?

i just downloaded .5 and c+p my config and the sensitivity is, excuse my language, fucked.

Honestly, you might have to reconfigure your mouse settings and find a new balance. 2.5.1.5 switched to the SDL2 library, which changes the way mouse input is handled, but for the better from the technical standpoint. Truuuust usssss, this is a goooood change in the loooong run!

Alternatively, use krankdud's hack of 2514.

Funnily enough, the supposedly superior 2.5.1.5 handles worse, and doesn't even run properly for me.

That aside:

4 hours ago, dew said:

This was a highly contentious feature that couldn't be turned off and arguably provided an unfair advantage in highly optimized speedruns.

[unpopular opinion]If somebody wants that advantage, they'll use third party input programs anyways, and there's nothing you can do about it. This whole ordeal is way overblown. Let alone that this witch hunt is probably going to "taint" many of the demos people made with 2.5.1.4. by implying they were made with an exe that helped in achieving these results by providing an unfair advantage (as if that couldn't be had any other way).[/unpopular opinion]

Has anyone else noticed sfx sounding like garbage in 2.5.1.5? I was using the same cfg file for .4 and .5, and then tried a fresh cfg in .5 and it still sounded bad. It sounds like a lower sample rate and less stereo separation, or something.

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

[unpopular opinion]

You may want to read the exchange with RjY in the prboom-plus development thread. It's nowhere near as dramatic as you suggest, but it was actually forcing some good players away from using pr+ and highly optimized UV speed demos nearly disappeared, both of which had to be addressed.

And if you can't set up the SDL2 version to your liking, you can fall back to the fixed 2.5.1.4 version Krankdud made.

8 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Has anyone else noticed sfx sounding like garbage in 2.5.1.5? I was using the same cfg file for .4 and .5, and then tried a fresh cfg in .5 and it still sounded bad. It sounds like a lower sample rate and less stereo separation, or something.

I think @xAn had the same problem, but found a solution

8 hours ago, dew said:

It's nowhere near as dramatic as you suggest, but it was actually forcing some good players away from using pr+ and highly optimized UV speed demos nearly disappeared, both of which had to be addressed.

OK, thank you for letting me know. Seems I was oversensitive here, which might be because this reminded me of a similar issue somewhere else. Sorry about that.

8 hours ago, dew said:

And if you can't set up the SDL2 version to your liking, you can fall back to the fixed 2.5.1.4 version Krankdud made.

So, the thing about 2.5.1.5. is that once I ran it, I had framerate issues from the get go. Restarting the .exe didn't help, and restarting my computer also did nothing. I then tried to get it to run like .4 did, by copying all the graphics settings manually (not copying the .cfg), which partially solved the issue, while it still behaved inferior in terms of framerates. Also, wall textures showed "tearing", when they shouldn't, since the graphics part of the configs was identical. After that failed, I copied over the entire .cfg without any result whatsoever.

That aside, the version made by Krandud works flawlessly after copying over the .cfg, so in that sense the problem may be solved for time being as far as my issues are/were concerned. I wonder how we should call the reworked .exe by krankdud when uploading demos though. PrBoom+2keyoption sounds "odd". Just a minor concern though...

34 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I wonder how we should call the reworked .exe by krankdud when uploading demos though. PrBoom+2keyoption sounds "odd". Just a minor concern though...

Interesting point. I think if you specify 2.5.1.4-k, we'll all know what's going on and Andy can put a line of explanation on DSDA.

edit: Changed from 4k to 4-k, so no one mistakes it for the resolution, heh.

@dew would you mind putting the specification in the OP along with a link to the krankdud version, so people who want/need stick to .4(-k) can see it right away?

On 5/18/2017 at 2:23 PM, dew said:

If you choose to use it, it would be prudent to mark it in the textfiles as, say, 2.5.1.4-k.

I'm personally fine with this, as I've recorded all of my demos with said version. But if we're going to do that, I'm assuming we're also placing importance on past .lmps that were recorded as such? If so, I'd expect people to post in the DSDA thread clarifying the port info Andy should be editing in the tables for the accompanying demos.

That would probably be the best course of action, though it's obviously up to the players themselves as there's no way to track/identify this.