Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zanieon

[Conceptual Resource Map] Akzos City

qL5zdnl.jpg

Alright here's the story, back in 2011 i made this map and wanted this to be the reboot of the old Doom Reinforced, my very first mod, which was messy and weird in everything but maps, with the Industron visual established i decided to start it again and drive its gameplay style towards Silent Hill mood, however my lack of ideas and design decisions for this map made me scrap it and since then, it was kept with me and only very old friends and never went public.

But enough for me i feel as did to Doom Reinforced which i separed the maps from the shitty gameplay mod it was, this one is no different, i removed all the weird conceptual gameplay codes and stuff leaving only the map to show its beauty, anyway keep in mind that this stuff is from 2011 and it was from the early age of my coding, so you will find messy stuff there, i just fixed the few issues to run properly in newer GZDooms, but with the code simple as the actors in this map is, i think the engine's development will not break this map, anyway if it breaks i may update if the thing is not several.

Screeshots:
HAol0I8l.jpg
LhN2BQNl.jpg
gGfpDukl.jpg
SLsye7Tl.jpg
WfGY0hbl.jpg
cpk4xYOl.jpg

Download (28MB)

You will not find monsters there, also no weapons but there's few items across the map which was there for the early gameplay which was meant to be some sort of Invasion map for Zandronum (Skulltag by the age it was made), you can enter in the Tactical Sekt building as well the small one behind it, all the rest is locked.

Holy christ, this looks amazing! I love zDoom works like this, shows the potential power that (sadly) many people don't use.

@konamikode Thanks, i still have to post the Doom Reinforced Mapset here which some maps contains this visual style as well and are actually playable.

@SArais Heh, as gm_Bigcity as well, this one can be used for testing stuff or make videos.

@Dedalus 80 I know the feel, i mapped this thing in my old PC and by the time the only thing which kept me mapping this was the will to make a Tron-styled city in Doom, though GZDoom was running it at 15FPS too.

1 hour ago, Zanieon said:

@SArais Heh, as gm_Bigcity as well, this one can be used for testing stuff or make videos.

Y'know, i'm gonna have to make Subtransit Station Tegnotrot at some point; analyzing your map could provide useful detail info.

I have the feeling I know how you did some of the light effects, though.

edit: nope

Edited by SArais

Make this a single player map, you will get praise for it in most cases.

I would presume you could use it as a hub map for a non-linear-map-progression megawad

Thanks for the suggestions guys but the map came straight from 2011, it stood with me for all over this 6 years without me having a single idea of what to do with it that could make it interesting in gameplay rather than "just another urban with basic gameplay of purging the demons".

I have plans to make more Industron maps as this one, i already started one in case, it is progressing slow though due to i spending my time for now in release HM Version 2.9, but surely i will post it here when i have some progression, i have few ideas in mind to remake the small Doom Reinforced Mapset entirely in Industron instead of only 2 maps having it and all the rest staying in the age i was evolving my mapping skills, i do not discard the option of this map being integrated to it someday, but for now it will remain as is, just an empty city to stare the Tron detailing, unfortunately.

Well, as I've said before; the code in Harbinger.wad is HORRIBLY under-utilized for what it is; maybe you could crack it open, disseminate bits of it's code and then use it to make a large multi-part boss?

'Unno. We'll see what becomes of this.

Nah i pass, i've been always the guy with simplicity in code terms, if you check the stuff i did in Hunter's Moon, none of them are so complex, maybe the hardest thing i ever tried there was the movement code to make the player characters play the correct animations accordingly with their movement and probably the Vehicles as well, the rest is pretty easy ti understand even for beginners.

Another thing you could do is create a slightly smaller map using the same textures used in this for a single/co-op style map.

These textures is always what i use to make maps in this visual type, though i'll have to ponder when i will create the chance to use this in a map pack without making the gameplay too expensive in exploring or too boring in just slaughtering.

But thanks for the suggestions, i noticed that you guys don't want to see this wasted in gameplay terms, but it will take time to i have an opportunity to use this somewhere else.

I remember you posting this years ago in another forum. Zandronum? ZDaemon?

ZDoom forums originally back in 2011, by the age people there was not all that tolerant in use Doom 3 resources or even the ripped models, the thread didn't went all that well and i decided to bury it, anyway the map didn't progress any more since then.

Then i also did in Skulltag forums, but there it was also buried by the lack of interest everyone has in everything there, these days i just visit daily Zandronum forums but don't post often since the activity there is low and the most active thing there is the development section.

I played it when you post it in zdoom forum.

I suggested it for Cacowards because the aesthetic and visuals are amazing for a doom engine.

I really woulsd like to learn to map like this. How have you done the "white light on black wall" effect?

Ah yeah i saw that you made the suggestion and thanks for doing it.

About how to make a map like this, well, this is something on my own style as i have been saying, i call it "Industron", a fusion of the light stripes of Tron: Legacy with the Industrial detailing for the parts of the walls which doesn't have the lights.

This map i was one of the first ones i made in this style so the trick i used here can be used for pretty much any map format, i just put a sector of 255 light in front of the white texture having only 4 pixels of distance from it, my most recent creations have been made in UDMF so i set the wall brightness directly in the linedef, dispensing the use of such sector to make it glow.

Currently i have this map to finish which is also made in this style but the development is halted because i want to finish Hunter's Moon Version 2.9 to post it here and right behind it, i'll be posting this map as well because i will resume the development of it after releasing the next version of my main mod.

1 hour ago, Zanieon said:

i just put a sector of 255 light in front of the white texture having only 4 pixels of distance from it, my most recent creations have been made in UDMF so i set the wall brightness directly in the linedef, dispensing the use of such sector to make it glow.

I will try this as soon as possible. "Industron" seems a cool name too!