Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Who are the 1% that disliked the video?

I see this a lot on YouTube, for example with music uploads. Go to any song that isn't incredibly popular (so not like Lady Gaga), and most likely it will have 99% likes and pretty much all comments will be positive and highly enthusiastic. Which kind of makes sense since almost everyone who watched it probably actually searched for it because they wanted to hear it, rather than stumbling upon it accidentally. That always makes me wonder: so who are the 20 or so people that pressed dislike? Were they really that offended by the song? Did they feel like pressing the dislike button because they were annoyed by the overwhelming positivity in the comments? Do they just go around YouTube and dislike whatever they find? What do you think is more likely?

I always figure it's because of the people boasting about how nobody can dislike the video that people start to dislike it. That seems like the most logical answer to me, anyway.

It's perfectly understandable, if you ask me: if some guy on the streets was constantly bragging about how nobody smashed his glass window, I would find it pretty satisfying to see somebody prove him wrong.

OR maybe there are people that didn't like the video and gave it a thumbs down? Because, you know, that button is there for a reason.

The only logical reason to dislike something without necessarily hating the content or content creator is to make it so it won't show up in your feed.

Or they're just very difficult to please/easily offended or bored.

Probably because it wasn't what they were looking for, or because they simply didn't like it, tastes differ.

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

Did they feel like pressing the dislike button because they were annoyed by the overwhelming positivity in the comments?

Not to rip open an old wound, but I know someone who also isn't to keen on overwhelming positivity, and feels like telling people that "shit sucks once in a while", even it's just for comedic effect. ;-)

On topic: I think that in many cases, when you have stuff of rarely known or niche artists, you end up with people watching these videos who may have pressed the dislike button simply because whatever was there to see or listen to didn't meet their expectations. You get these results quite often in the experimental music genre for example, or when it comes to lesser/barely known artists in more popular genres as well.

Personally, I think that you can be a fan of artist "XY" and still dislike a particular piece of work, just like you can be a fan of, say, speed of doom, and still dislike mapXY for some reason. At the end of the day, you just can't please everybody at any given point in time, and, from my point of view, that's pretty much all there is to it, if we ignore trolls or people who want to get certain things off their feed, like cyan0s1s suggested.

I often don't rate anything, but I occasionally stumble into music I don't enjoy. However I often don't stay on the page long enough to listen to it all the way through or much less to inform people of my disapproval. But sure, there's a lot of possibilities:

Trolls

Someone who has a vendetta with the submitter

People who demand absolute perfection

People who unknowingly clicked dislike by mistake

People who think their negative opinions matter to other people

etc.

It could also be people unhappy with maybe a copyrighted song they like or just copyrighted music in general being up on YouTube. Or maybe they have just heard that joke before, with better presentation. People dislike things and some folk are more willing to voice their negative opinions.

Edited by Fonze

"everyone is one" cracked me up due to both the bad grammar and it still being completely accurate.

5 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone is one has one.

Doesn't mean you should have to hear all the shit that is spewing out their mouths.

I think no matter what the video is about, there will always be a dislike/thumbs down period. It is just human nature, in no example would every single person agree on something ever.

When people have only 2 buttons, people will use both of them. When they decide they really want to become one with the abyss they start writing youtube comments

12 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

The only logical reason to dislike something without necessarily hating the content or content creator is to make it so it won't show up in your feed.

Or they're just very difficult to please/easily offended or bored.

This is exactly what is going on. YouTube sometimes goes stupid and will show a video you've already seen 100 times, even if you like it - disliking it will make it go away. Because YouTube does stupid things like this, instead of giving you an option to say "Hey, I've seen this, stop it". Like that "Important Videos" Playlist. I cannot count how many times that stupid thing pops up, but I cannot get it to go away - and as far as I know , at least on the mobile application, you cannot dislike  playlists.

sigh.

9 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

This is exactly what is going on. YouTube sometimes goes stupid and will show a video you've already seen 100 times, even if you like it - disliking it will make it go away. Because YouTube does stupid things like this, instead of giving you an option to say "Hey, I've seen this, stop it". Like that "Important Videos" Playlist. I cannot count how many times that stupid thing pops up, but I cannot get it to go away - and as far as I know , at least on the mobile application, you cannot dislike  playlists.

sigh.

For me it seems like I'm only ever recommended stuff I don't like.

well, I got no reason to hate on anybody 'cept for certain someone in certain community (I swear by god it's not DW, you guys are nice) if I don't like something I disliked it. Fidget spinner videos though. Yeah, it's fine to have fun and shit but having a videos on people spinning that shit and getting millions of views are just stupid.

Edited by R1ck : whoops, my bad

24 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Fidget spinner

I think neodymium is a more productive fidget toy. It provides more tensile feedback, and when rubber coated is quite, yet you'll feel the vibration still, all while not being a Visual stimulus. I think the visual part of it all can be counter productive as in conversation eye contact is important, or reading or what have you.

Also, saying derogatory words like that will not only paint a target on your head, but can get you banned, just a heads up. 

I don't know if this makes me an asshole or not, but I can't fight the urge to dislike videos of gameplay footage with random people talking over it. You know, sometimes I just wanna look at raw gameplay footage of a new game so I can ponder on whether I should buy it or not, or look back on a scene in particular from the game. Back in the day(as if I didn't sound like a grumpy old man enough already), I could easily find tons of gameplay videos of nothing more than the game being played. No editing, no spoilers, no talking. But nowaday's it's become the norm for every gaming video on youtube to have someone talking over it, making inane and shallow commentary. Usually in an overly whiny and nasally voice.

Admittedly, I do watch a few let's players, and I have nothing against the act of streaming yourself playing games. But I think that a key factor in being a streamer is having the least bit of wit and charisma. If you're just gonna half-mumble about things happening right in front of you ingame, you might as well not even bother streaming.

Someone or some bot did a mass disliking spree on my videos a few years ago, all my videos received 5x dislikes all from the same country on the same time of day.

1 hour ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I don't know if this makes me an asshole or not, but I can't fight the urge to dislike videos of gameplay footage with random people talking over it. You know, sometimes I just wanna look at raw gameplay footage of a new game so I can ponder on whether I should buy it or not, or look back on a scene in particular from the game. Back in the day(as if I didn't sound like a grumpy old man enough already), I could easily find tons of gameplay videos of nothing more than the game being played. No editing, no spoilers, no talking. But nowaday's it's become the norm for every gaming video on youtube to have someone talking over it, making inane and shallow commentary. Usually in an overly whiny and nasally voice.

Admittedly, I do watch a few let's players, and I have nothing against the act of streaming yourself playing games. But I think that a key factor in being a streamer is having the least bit of wit and charisma. If you're just gonna half-mumble about things happening right in front of you ingame, you might as well not even bother streaming.

Yes cause everyone feels the need to fucking talk these days, about nothing for the most part, or attempts at being (bad) comedians. Adding 'no commentary' to your video game footage searches to find videos without talking is actually a thing for a reason. Unless you're genuinely funny or have something informative or interesting to add to the video, please consider shutting the fuck up, only you and your inner circle of friends care about what you have to say.

well this sure went down the route of people who aren't just highly anti-social, but outright against anyone ever trying to socialize with anyone when they aren't given express permission to do so by some sort of person-hating overlord

31 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

well this sure went down the route of people who aren't just highly anti-social, but outright against anyone ever trying to socialize with anyone when they aren't given express permission to do so by some sort of person-hating overlord

Par for the course when it involves people talking over videos, it seems

I agree. It wouldn't be a problem if finding gameplay footage wasn't such a goddamn chore sometimes since now everybody and their mom wants to talk over their footage. I always have to include "no talking" or "no commentary" or "gameplay only" when I just want to see how a game sounds and plays.

My theory on this is that viewers (especially kids and teens) are inspired by the success of popular video commentators like Vanoss Gaming and hope that they can one day too become successful enough to garner a fan following. So they copy the same old tired formula that has been done a thousand time before. This has led to a huge over-saturated market of commentators and it seems that plain ordinary video gameplay is no longer considered cool or trendy. Which is a shame, since I feel the same way when it comes to finding a new game too. I definitely prefer raw footage without someone talking over it. And that isn't always easy to find.