Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Session 3 - Third on the 3rd! /idgames

Hey I made a thing for this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1bX8V5Yr798X2NmS3VuMkNnU2M

Name: Life at the Outpost

Build time: 2 hours

Textures: Base Doom 2

MIDI: Death Mask by Lippeth, from the Plutonia MIDI pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1bX8V5Yr798X2k3RmplQnRvMlU

Themes: Plasma Gun only, under 70 monsters (41, to be precise)

Aesthetically, it looks like baby's first Plutonia map.  Not my finest work, but I got it done and UV-Max'able in 2 hours, so I'm proud of it.

Edited by NuclearPotato

That's excellent everennui. It's the point to try and combine all themes into a consistent and coherent map!

Here's to crossing fingers.

When I first saw the themes I wanted to back out, but a little persistence paid off.

Here goes (fixed):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/35vk3p2e3hntzcb/dls_plasma_v2.zip?dl=0

build time 2:20
all the theme aspects should be ok
title: plasma plus two crates with monsters
midi: I didn't had any at hand, so I ripped MAP02 track from TNT.wad

After one hour it really sucked. As someone has said: "It still sucks but it's much more coherent in doing so."

Edited by dl_simc : updated link

Here is what i came up with: dreamsintheghettov2.zip

Build time: 2:46

Themes: 70 monsters+plasma

Didn't really have time to playtest with monsters in it but it should be beatable.

Edited by elmle

Ok here goes nothing. Still worried it might be broken in some way I'm not realizing: 

[UPDATED]: http://www.mediafire.com/file/q48816wjivu8b9r/panopt2.wad

build time: 2:50

title: Panopt-Icon

- Only use walkover triggers
- 70 monsters at most
- No ammo or weapons except plasma gun and energy cells

- Health is only present via health bonuses

edit: Slightly less shitty now + MediaFire. This is the first map I've ever "released" I guess so go easy!

Edited by Big Ol Billy

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hibazbjp0di30qu/shitaste.wad

Title: Cloaca

Theme: Walkable triggered lines, no health expect health potions

Build time: 1 hour and half (Started this thing late)

Description: Really short (512 x 1024) and compact map sets into a sewer place of sort, like that map in Evilution. Yeah, that one, you know?

Music: Chip's Challenge track arranged by Doomkid

WAIT FOR ME PLEASE

1 SEC, HAVE MERCY

CRITICAL BUG (one out of many) FIXED; STILL DON't DOWNLOAD PLZ

------------------------------

Unexplainably Unexplorable

https://doomshack.org/uploads/UnexplainablyUnexplorable-V2.wad

Theme: a few

Build time: 02:30 or so

Description: untested as well, kind of a city, vanilla compatible I think, 4096x4096

music: going down the fast way by Lee Jackson
comments: uh I spent way too much time on goofy detailing and satisfying the bugs in my head, because having huge-ass offsets and unnecessary textures pisses me off. Kapanyo's 3D floor effect present. Play -nomo only.

My second speedmap ever, yay

Edited by bzzrak

Nice! I'll play through each map, check if they're broken in any way and then I'll make a compilation. 

Would've loved to participate but in the first session I had no time and in the second session I couldn't start anything decent. Damn Mappers Block hit me. 

PRE-RELEASE BETA:

- CWILVs added

- music added

- GFX added

- Map order made

- Fixed bugs in these maps:
* Big Ol Billy - bleeding sector, bleeding midtex

* Bzzrak - lifts lower into opposite lifts from the inside in the house area so it was inescapable

* dl_simc - it was possible to get stuck in an inescapable pit in two points of the map

* NuclearPotato - made two cell packs more visible so that you don't avoid them

eagles03.zip

2 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

* Bzzrak - lifts lower into opposite lifts from the inside in the house area so it was inescapable

00P5!

The one on the outside is intended, the one on the inside is not. If it's not too much of a bother for you, could you please reverse the tags on linedefs 369 and 373 yourself? Thanks a bunch.

ninja edit: oh wait you already did it! Heh, sorry.

edit2: One thing, could you pleeeease raise the floor of sector 20 to 384 (the one with the cacodemons)? Not necessary though.

Also you've apparently made a typo in the DEH for my map.

Played the maps, btw. Some really awesome ones, I liked Big Ol Billy's and everennui's maps the best. :]

Great job everyone! 

Edited by bzzrak

Plenty of plasma made the passage of each map fairly easy. The only difficulty is the completion of the last map. To fight with a lot of arch-viles in a confined space was difficult. Difficult, but cool! Very powerful set of maps.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt GZDoom 2.4.0

No errors found critical for passing.

11 hours ago, elderdragonbrasil said:

OH, I really forget about that :(

@Suitepee did something for this one?

Not this time; I was pretty busy yesterday at the time of the evening session. I might plan on livestreaming the finished wad however.

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

edit2: One thing, could you pleeeease raise the floor of sector 20 to 384 (the one with the cacodemons)? Not necessary though.

Also you've apparently made a typo in the DEH for my map.

Did that, and there was no typo in the DEH (Unexplainably Unexplorable?)

Cool - They're all playable from "the pistol start" on ZDoom with savegames. 

Liked MAP07 the best. Also MAP08's crowded end section is a hassle. MAP05 ammo balance might get tricky: There are 2+2 cell packs after the stairs but the revenants are released so fast that the careless player might end up fighting them with the pistol.

Understand speedmapping better now. Instead of every project taking ages, getting something done and finished within a fixed time is fun. Thanks a lot!

In map04, you eventually teleport into an arena with a mastermind and cyberdemon, onto a high self-referencing sector that simulates a mid-air drop. You are in the air (and thus unable to move X/Y coordinates) for some seconds. During that time if the cyber just waltzes near you and fires, you are dead. map08's cell ammo balance was tight early on, so I ended up using the pistol, mostly against the numerous weak monsters, to preserve a cushion. It's only by luck that I didn't use all of my bullets and get stuck at the shoot switch. Mandatory unpunchable shootswitches don't really work whenever the player could run out of the needed ammo types. 

Highlights were map05, map07, and map08. <3 that progressive vile arena. 

The theme is too restrictive imo; 'an emphasis on the plasma rifle' would do a similar thing while maintaining a bit of variety.