Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Session 3 - Third on the 3rd! /idgames

I have to say that I REALLY liked the themes this time, they were very specific, so it was easy to know how to make the map stick to them and they were also easy to combine. Even the PG only one didn't feel very restrictive as that is probably the most versatile weapon in the game (I only wish I could have included a backpack, ammo is used and obtained very quickly in my map making it likely that some will be wasted).

The map I liked the best was 08, specifically the part with the lowering floor and all the viles, but I got stuck earlier in the map, I had to open the editor to figure out that I could open the wall behind that vile :S. Also the cyberdemon on map 04 killed me 3 times in the scenario rdwpa mentioned...

Played through the whole thing in GLBoom+ on pistol start; some random thoughts on each map:

MAP01: Really nice architecture for a speedmap.

MAP02: Really cramped and claustrophobic. Crazy short, too.

MAP03: Oops I forgot the lighting :P  In all seriousness, my main objective going into this was to make a short 3 minute level that people could complete without issue, and I think I succeeded at that part.  The moved plasma cells were supposed to be concealed like that, to make the player look around a little more, but I have no particular issue with their new placement.  Think I need to tweak that final encounter though; the overall difficulty is kinda front-loaded as it stands, and the Archie doesn't really have too much to do where he is now.

MAP04: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, GIVE US SOME HEALTH.  Especially if you're going to throw the player into a Gotcha! type situation like you did with the teleporter.  The fight in the building just before that teleporter was pretty good, though.

MAP05: I have no idea why a country-fied version of Big Blue works on this map, but it does.  Good shit.

MAP06: Another really short map, one that felt like it was going to be longer going in to it.  Liked how you made the player have to squeeze past the Mancubus to get the plasma rifle.

MAP07: Also really good architecture for a speedmap.  The yellow keys threw me off for a bit at first; I was convinced the key on the center platform would trigger a fast crusher for a couple minutes there.

MAP08: Really nice lighting overall, and a relatively complex final fight for a speedmap.  Ammo during the first part of the map was a bit tight, though.

Overall; I'm gonna have to agree with rdwpa that the standouts were 5, 7, and 8.  Good stuff, y'all.  I'll throw up a quick edit to my map so that the last fight isn't so 'meh' in an hour or so.

Edited by NuclearPotato

Looking forward to the tweak @NuclearPotato! I added them there simply because a player would easily skip that and complain how there's not enough ammo for the Arch-Vile and because there's a small chance that the player would actually go back to the beginning and look behind the walls.

And here is V2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bX8V5Yr798M01semRla2JCdFE/view?usp=sharing

Build time: +30 minutes or so

Tweaks: Basic lighting (I didn't want to add any extra linedefs, to keep the spirit of the speedmap intact, so it's just a few gradients), somewhat more interesting encounters on the trip back to the fountain and red key door.  Oh yeah, and added some purposely dickish co-op starts.

I'll try not to muck with it from here on unless there's some really weird bug that needs fixing.

vvv Hush you.

Edited by NuclearPotato

Alright. I'll link this fixed version and information for @Suitepee - if you stream, please stream this version as all of the bugs in the maps have been fixed here and it contains all the updated maps.

eagles03.zip

Really honored to participate in this, what you guys can throw together in a couple of hours is seriously impressive. Thanks for organizing things DoomLover and for the themes. I felt like I actually learned a lot about the plasma rifle from everyone else's maps (especially archvile vs plasma dynamics). May post some more comments once I give the tweaked and edited map set a proper playthrough :)

Hi all, sorry I wasn't able to participate this time, I was super busy all weekend. I'll try and play the set if I get the chance and let you all know what I think. I should be around for the fourth one though, so I'll see you all next month.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150675353 = my playthrough of all 8 maps. (UV, pistol start)

Decent selection of maps overall. I kind of skipped the last fight of ELMLE's map because I didn't fancy repeating that section a few times out of frustration ahead of time, but was a nice difficult idea at the end. Realising that ELMLE used to be a slaughtermapper, perhaps he'll return to some slaughterwad projects? ;)

The readme appears to have some information from the previous speedmapping project muddled up in it.

I look forward to the next one. Keep it up Doomlover234, this is turning out to be a fun speedmap community project to follow so far. Hope for a few more mappers next time! (maybe even myself again...)

Oh come on! Missed out on your stream again! You should post when you start streaming here so that I can watch it because I rarely check Doom General.

But please dont get me wrong - I really appreciate taking your time to consistently play through these maps!

I've finally got my act together and sent this to the archives, so here it is: 

If there are any gamebreaking bugs please let know!