Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #531

TnC is alive and kicking, after all. Thanks to Bloodshedder for publishing them, and to all the reviewers.

Mercury Rain looks really interesting, with its new textures and sprites. Not Jabba's review also made it sound quite appealing.

I'm ecstatic to see new TnC's rolling in; big thanks to Bloodshedder and the team for continuing to put in the time to make these for the community!

I'm glad to see this too, but it's worth pointing out how little momentum the Chronicles have right now. It took well over two months for the last 7 or 8 reviews to get written. The publication (and news in general) is also a lot less visible than it used to be, which I hope is something the forum admins will be willing/able to address after higher priorities like the Downloads section are sorted out.

I lost a lot of my will to write these when I realized that at the rate things were going, I'd be writing like 80% of all reviews. I'm also pretty focused on mapping right now. I'll try to keep doing them occasionally, though.

I would have liked to contribute to Newstuff; it's fun writing the reviews. But what I didn't anticipate was how little patience I had for setting up screenshots. Having to take a shot, convert it to PGN, rename it, host it on a site I otherwise never use to host images in order to preserve that file name, etc. Not fun. In fact just now I looked through the list for stuff I'd be interested in reviewing, and came to a halt after thinking, 'Oh yeah, that screenshot part'. 

Coincidentally screenshotting used to be one of my least favorite parts of writing TWID.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

I would have liked to contribute to Newstuff; it's fun writing the reviews. But what I didn't anticipate was how little patience I had for setting up screenshots. Having to take a shot, convert it to PGN, rename it, host it on a site I otherwise never use to host images in order to preserve that file name, etc. Not fun. In fact just now I looked through the list for stuff I'd be interested in reviewing, and came to a halt after thinking, 'Oh yeah, that screenshot part'. 

Yooo, I will take screenshots for you, for any review that you want to do. Hit me up!

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

But what I didn't anticipate was how little patience I had for setting up screenshots.

Just zip 'em up and e-mail them to Bloodshedder, as an attachment. It preserves filenames. Works reliably for me. :]

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

In addition to what other people have said, if you're willing to take your screenshots in ZDoom, you should get .pngs automatically, which saves you another step.

Great stuff!  Thank you for keeping this tradition alive and kicking.

TBQH, it was never really dead in the first place. Maybe Bloodshedder was on a vacation, hence the hiatus.

Echoing @Fonze and @rdwpa I would probably do some reviewing but that screenshot policy is kind of annoying. I thought I was just being a lazy-ass (technically I am), glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed by it. I'd rather just integrate screenshots linked via imgur or something straight into the review instead, personally.

Glad to see another chronicle up, I was wondering if it was dead or not.

The eventual goal is of course to have /newstuff screenshots just be the same thing as file screenshots, and for file screenshots to be uploaded via the normal web uploader.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

.... but that screenshot policy is kind of annoying... I'd rather just integrate screenshots linked via imgur or something straight into the review instead, personally.

Requiring screenshots to accompany reviews is, in my opinion, a good policy. The whole "a picture is worth a thousand words" bit. However, if Doomworld can allow different ways to integrate screenies, it may give an incentive to some more people (e.g., rdwpa, Fonze, you) to write reviews.

I hope the newstuff chroncles appears in the front page of the forums. It's way too hidden now.

23 hours ago, Linguica said:

The eventual goal is of course to have /newstuff screenshots just be the same thing as file screenshots, and for file screenshots to be uploaded via the normal web uploader.

How's the web uploader going for the files repository, if you don't mind me asking?

Last I recall was you were waiting on some new themes before making any further large changes.

Would be cool if screenshots were required to be in a certain format. For example, OpenGL ones are always much less likely to make me interested in playing. :P

Just now, Memfis said:

Would be cool if screenshots were required to be in a certain format. For example, OpenGL ones are always much less likely to make me interested in playing. :P

Although screenshots taken while using OpenGL might turn you off, there are many mods where such screenshots actually show what the mod (and the mod creator) intends. Therefore, requiring a narrow format might create an unnecessary limit.

Unless you were making a tongue-in-cheek comment. In which case, ignore my blathering.

Thanks for making New T/nC is out, which is good, but since the forum still default when coming Doomworld with doomworld.com link so I don't know it happens until I checked all sub-forums and threads(since the news one is on most bottom one).

I know I can just use doomworld.com/news when every time I came the doomworld but still would like see a option for setthing the default the root link to news section... :)

Ah, since the links in T/nC news post still using the old Doomworld /newstuff database frontend, is it normal I can't do votes on the old frontend(no votes box shows out)? Or I have to move to the new one for do votes?

It's great to see the chronicles again. Let reviews be shorter and brighter if it helps to do them often.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Fonze said:

Coincidentally screenshotting used to be one of my least favorite parts of writing TWID.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Fonze said:

record an FDA of you playing, play it back, and then take as many screenshots of interesting things as you can, then filter out all the bad ones.

Heh yeah, I used to do that with a few, but aside from when aiming specifically for action shots (which even then feels a bit tacky in 2017, save rare occasions) doing things this way in fact costs more time. Not only do you have to play the wad and then play the demo, you also run the risk of getting shots which include far less of what you should be showing than you would like, or are of a lower quality than they could be, as you would have been focusing on surviving/playing the wad when playing and you can't stop a demo to move the player a bit to the left to avoid cutting out a significant detail in a screenie. Also, what happens when you miss a great screenshot on a demo that's an hour long? Skipsec back to it? Nah, I'll just idclip and get a better quality shot. Often times when I tried this, I would just wind up reopening the wad after watching the demo and actually setting up the screenshots, making sure that all portions of the shots captured as much as possible. 

The fastest approach I found to screenshotting wads was to screenshot everything that looked worth-it and spend the time sifting through them later, which also helps to avoid having to search for more screenies at the end, though I absolutely hated when I'd have to pick 5 of 25 awesome screenies; no way to win lol.

Thanks for reviewing my level, Not Jabba! I really appreciate it. :) Sealed is my first map, and I hope you found something in it you enjoyed.