Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

8 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I'm living in California right now.

BTW, the Arch-vile jump of Disjunction Map10, I meant business. I recorded how to start, check this. Takes like 2 min. I'll definitely take this route if I decide really to run this map. Probably now, I think Sunder Map03 is easier for me to run.

Holy shit nice! Doesn't look that bad tbh. I'm definitely shouting you out for that. MVP for thinking outside the box there.

Also, sucks that you're west coast. I'm all the way in CT :( 

2 hours ago, Tarnsman said:

People read books? Are you sure? Thought that was an old wives' tale.

Some do and more should.

2 minutes ago, stru said:

Holy shit nice! Doesn't look that bad tbh. I'm definitely shouting you out for that. MVP for thinking outside the box there.

Also, sucks that you're west coast. I'm all the way in CT :( 

Glad you like it :)  The thing is probably you are not supposed to use those Rockets, so punching something else may be needed.

Hey, you don't know how the world goes. Things may change in the future, so not a problem

8 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Some do and more should.

I wish I had more time to read. Every once in a while I'll pick up a book from the library and read like 20 pages before the due date :/ Anybody else have this problem?

I've been wanting to read all the Warcraft novels. Such an interesting series.

4 hours ago, Tarnsman said:

Wait. People actually listen to the lyrics in music? Aren't those just filler?

As a singer in a band, i write the songs lyrics and expect people to check them out. It's really important, at least for me to know what the bands sings about. It tells more to the listener what the albums is about and the atmosphere on it.I'm not even a native english speaker and i force myself to write in english and understand the lyrics. (Don't get me wrong, it's a preference for the genre, French doesn't sound great imo.) But even for bands that sings in language such has Norwegian,Swedish,German, etc. i look for translation... And i'm frustrated when i can't find the lyrics of a song i love.

8 hours ago, dew said:

Haha... if metal is typically about honor and courage, rap is typically about the wisdom of experience and overcoming the odds. I could as easily say metal is typically about Satan, demons, rape, mass murders, serial murders, wars, suicide and fetishization of death, pain, anger or hate. There are tons of lyrics that would fit my description, so it must be as true as your claim! You're right about the perspective though. While rappers brag about the ruthless actions they've performed through their considerable power and ludicrous wealth, metal artists threaten to perform ruthless actions with their considerable power and unhealthy mental condition.

I'm not even a big fan of rap and I certainly prefer metal, but you're obviously biased and cherry picking. Metal lyrics are often so stupid and pretentious that I generally prefer purely instrumental songs, on the other hand I enjoy trying to interpret Aesop Rock's convoluted lyrics.

The typical stereotypical thoughts we have here. When you get out of the mainstream death metal thing which address subjects mentioned above, theres alots of interesting people talking about some deep things.

Edited by Mayhem666

Favorite Movie Genre: I like all kinds, but I guess Horror, action, and sci-fi are my favorite. Jaws was my favorite movie growing up.

Favorite Food: Lobster

Favorite Holiday: New Year’s Eve

Favorite Memory: Achieving high honors in college, each semester.

Worst Memory: passing of relatives, especially my grandparents on my dad’s side.

Favorite Outfit: I like to dress professional for work, in a suit and tie, with a nice wrist-watch, and dress shoes. 

Favorite Genre Of Music: Thrash, Black Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore Punk, Oi, 77-style Punk Rock, 88-style NYHC, UK 82, Classical Music, Classic Rock. Too many for a specific favorite, and it depends on the mood.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Emo

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: I’ve never broken anything, but I’ve been punched in the face a bunch of times. My septum is deviated from being punched in the nose on more than one occasion. My right eye ball has significantly worse vision. In grammar school, a kid I was fighting with hit me in that eye with a bag full of books, and really did some damage. This happened when I had my back turned to him, and he swung the book bag around, and hit me in the eye; I attribute the poor vision to that incident.

Favorite Hobby: Reading up on history

Your Definition of Success: Giving others the inspiration to follow your life as a positive example.

Edited by Kontra Kommando

21 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

The typical stereotypical thoughts we have here. When you get out of the mainstream death metal thing which address subjects mentioned above, theres alots of interesting people talking about some deep things.

And it's true, if one cherry-picks their selection! I could endlessly point at the gore carnival of Cannibal Corpse, or the juvenile limericks of jokebands like Anal Cunt or Pantera. But I'm only making a point here and I'm a fan of Devin Townsend's wit, of Giant Squid's tongue-in-cheek odes to, uh, giant squids, of Anathema's emo touchy-feely crap. I just applied the same stereotypical thinking Trace expressed about rap and look, I get metal singers bitch at me almost immediately, heh.

46 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a preference for the genre, French doesn't sound great imo.

Au contraire!

I don't speak French, but I love whenever Neige decides to scream a bit. And if I can believe third hand translations, it's about existentional misery and ennui, so it should go well with the point you were making to me, heh.

4 hours ago, CARRiON said:

What happens if I enjoy both?

My playlist can jump around quite a bit. From NIN to Cypress Hill to Crystal Castles to Black Dahlia Murder to Jedi Mind Tricks. I can't say no to any of it.

yeah bud i like both as well...

My favourite bands are Anal Cunt, Grinded Nig, and Infant Annihilator

Their lyrics have a very deep and emotional meaning and connect with me on every level

2 hours ago, dew said:

And it's true, if one cherry-picks their selection! I could endlessly point at the gore carnival of Cannibal Corpse, or the juvenile limericks of jokebands like Anal Cunt or Pantera. But I'm only making a point here and I'm a fan of Devin Townsend's wit, of Giant Squid's tongue-in-cheek odes to, uh, giant squids, of Anathema's emo touchy-feely crap. I just applied the same stereotypical thinking Trace expressed about rap and look, I get metal singers bitch at me almost immediately, heh.

Au contraire!

I don't speak French, but I love whenever Neige decides to scream a bit. And if I can believe third hand translations, it's about existentional misery and ennui, so it should go well with the point you were making to me, heh.

First, i don't bitch you at all. Sorry if you thought i did. Anyway, like Tracer said, it's true that those people associated with a specific music genre lives a different lifestyle. But personally even if i listen to Metal music, i don't really associate myself with the "Metalhead" term or people. Mainly because nowadays it lost its meaning. Theres so much kind of people who can listen to different genres of metal, so considering ourselves has metalheads is kind of generalist. Putting everyone in the same basket. Which i'm againts of. I used to identify myself has a "true" metalhead when i was younger, trying to gain myself the brutal image obviously. But tbh, i can have a better conversation with a normal person than a so-called metalhead...

-------

Ahhh mais non cela dépend du style de metal! :-)

Yeah of course, Black Metal is different. I mean, even if it's in French, i can't understand what hes saying without checking up the lyrics first.

But my point was, bands from my hometown like, Voivod or Gorguts, which are 80s Thrash and Death metal bands if you don't know them, saids multiple times that French doesn't really fit into that kind of music. And i believe so. They did their lyrics in English because it sounds more aggressive and to get more attention. Because no one really cares about French language in the US. But again for black metal, i would say it's a really different approach.

Edited by Mayhem666

Some metal albums have deep and intelligent lyrics, while others have absolutely nonsensical lyrics. Same with rap, and basically every other genre in existence.

It's not fucking rocket science.

9 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

But my point was, bands from my hometown like, Voivod or Gorguts, which are 80s Thrash and Death metal bands if you don't know them, saids multiple times that French doesn't really fit into that kind of music. And i believe so. They did their lyrics in English because it sounds more aggressive and to get more attention.

Anecdote: Years ago I dated a French girl who produced music and sang. She wrote her lyrics in English, and I think she shouldn't have. Her English was really quite good - certainly better than my French. But as a non-native speaker, there were many things about the language which she wasn't very sensitive to. In particular, she wasn't really able to tell when things sounded cheesy, and the upshot was that, to a native speaker, her song lyrics tended to come out badly. The English was good - no errors as such - and the content was heartfelt and sincere, but still the lyrics came out really cheesy-sounding, which was a shame. I tried to suggest, subtly, that she should write a few songs in French, but she said that English suited her better because she could be more direct. C'est la vie.

This discussion has also reminded me that there's some really excellent French hip-hop.

52 minutes ago, durian said:

Anecdote: Years ago I dated a French girl who produced music and sang. She wrote her lyrics in English, and I think she shouldn't have. Her English was really quite good - certainly better than my French. But as a non-native speaker, there were many things about the language which she wasn't very sensitive to. In particular, she wasn't really able to tell when things sounded cheesy, and the upshot was that, to a native speaker, her song lyrics tended to come out badly. The English was good - no errors as such - and the content was heartfelt and sincere, but still the lyrics came out really cheesy-sounding, which was a shame. I tried to suggest, subtly, that she should write a few songs in French, but she said that English suited her better because she could be more direct. C'est la vie.

This discussion has also reminded me that there's some really excellent French hip-hop.

Yeah, that's a interesting fact i also noticed as a non-english native speaker. Sure it would be easier for me to write in French, i also add the fact that French language has so much variety in words and theres just too much grammar and verb tenses. It's tends to be a more poetic/romantic language if you ask me. So to write in English it's kind of a challenge for me, i translate things as it goes by and work from there. But one thing i can assure is that our songs sounds alot better in English... Que veux-tu? C'est ça qui est sa. Haha.

And obviously, in Canada, it's not like in France, really different accents i can tell.

Like how in French, when people have a problem with each other they say what translates to "There is winter between us."  At least that is what this guy at work who has been o France a lot told me.  Can you confirm that, Mayhem?

9 hours ago, Tracer said:

Like how in French, when people have a problem with each other they say what translates to "There is winter between us."  At least that is what this guy at work who has been o France a lot told me.  Can you confirm that, Mayhem?

Haha, that's prolly a French expression from France. Like i said in my post above, the language varies alot from France to Canada. I'm a French Canadian, so i don't really know alot of expressions used in France. But the ways of speaking is really different, the "real" frenchies have actual difficulties to understand our ways and accents when we talk. I personally find the French accent funny compared to us.

I hope my english doesn't suck too much ;-)

I notice a lot of Polish stuff probably sounds badass in their language but in English it can come off cheesy. It must be a translation thing via non-English speakers, pretty amusing actually!

Mayhem: Oh.  I didn't catch that you were from French-Canadia.  Whoops.

Omfg haha. The only place in Canada where french still exist is prolly in Quebec. Elsewhere it's all in english x)

On 5/24/2017 at 3:51 PM, RUSH said:

Some metal albums have deep and intelligent lyrics, while others have absolutely nonsensical lyrics. Same with rap, and basically every other genre in existence.

It's not fucking rocket science.

Lyrics aren't really that important to me when it comes to metal, but I've always really loved Dissection's lyrics. 

Favorite Movie Genre: Surrealism

Favorite Food: Vietnamese food, particularly Pho

Favorite Holiday: They're all garbage.

Favorite Memory: It's a tie between my most intense DMT trips and slow dancing to Herb Alpert with my partner during out 10th anniversary party.

Worst Memory: Burying my cat, then having to bury him again because a wild dog dug him up and eviscerated the cadaver, then having to do it *again* because I wasn't digging deep enough, by which point the corpse was just bloody chunks.

Favorite Outfit: Harem pants, sandals and a loose shirt.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Hard to pick, but probably funk or jazz.

Most Hated Genre of Music: There's not much music I hate, but whiny white boy pop punk comes close.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Left

Worst Injury: Injuring my back at UPS, which resulted in some pretty bad back pain for a couple of years until I received massage therapy.

Favorite Hobby: Playing the drums.

Your Definition of Success: Death.

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: No situation is black and white.

^While I don't see the point of bringing race into it at all, I agree with you about pop punk.

6 minutes ago, Tracer said:

^While I don't see the point of bringing race into it at all, I agree with you about pop punk.

Finally something we can agree on. It's completely pointless to mention race with pop punk, because 100% of it is whiny white boys.

Favorite Movie Genre: Movies based on true stories generally

Favorite Food: Junk food

Favorite Holiday: Summer

Favorite Memory: Wait impatiently for the results of the exams and be admitted

Worst Memory: Serious accidents , being rejected by some people.

Favorite Outfit: Simple et comfortable clothes

Favorite Genre Of Music: Video Game music FTW

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: I accidentally stabbed myself while playing with a knife when I was kid. This was not very serious but kinda gruesome.

Favorite Hobby: Playing Video games , Reading newspapers.

Your Definition of Success: Have a stable life and plenty of free time.

Favorite Movie Genre: Anything that's Sad/Feels. 

Favorite Food: Fried Chicken

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Memory: When I first played Super Mario Bros. 3

Worst Memory: None that I can think of.

Favorite Outfit: Anything Comfortable

Favorite Genre of Music: Thrash Metal. Rap. Country.

Most Hated Genre of Music: None there is always something that I like from All Genres.

I Also don't understand the hate on Country music. I CAN'T find any reason to hate on James Taylor or John Denver they are musically gifted.

Left Handed or Right Handed: left or right depending on the activity.

Worst Injury: falling face first on  a Gravel road when I was young

Favorite Hobby: Doom Mapping/Modding

Your Definition of Success: Simply enjoying what you do day to day is success to me.

Favorite Movie Genre: Sci-Fi.

Favorite Food: Junk food.

Favorite Holiday: Christmas and New Year's Eve -- simply because of the atmosphere.

Favorite Memory: There are many memories I remember, but I guess one that sticks out in my mind is playing video games with my brother.

We used to play the classic Mario Bros. arcade game and Contra all the time.

Worst Memory: Getting bullied in kindergarten.

Favorite Outfit: Black polo and navy blue jeans.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Electronic rock, industrial, electronica, drum and bass, metal, ambient, and smooth jazz.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Grindcore.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right handed.

Worst Injury: Hit my head when I was 8; started bleeding everywhere.

Favorite Hobby: Video gaming.

Your Definition of Success: Enjoying your life, and being at a state of contentment.

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: Not always.

Edited by Netherstorm

Favorite movie genre: Action

Favorite food: Thai

Favorite genre of music: Jazz

Left handed or right handed: Lefty

Worst injury: Rode a bike while drunk, hit a curb and went head-first onto the pavement.  

Favorite hobby: Sleeping 

Your definition of success: Doing what you love, I guess.

Edited by Guest

On 5/28/2017 at 5:19 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

Favorite Genre of Music: Thrash Metal. Rap. Country.

I Also don't understand the hate on Country music. I CAN'T find any reason to hate on James Taylor or John Denver they are musically gifted.

1. I have never met anybody who said their favorites genres of music were Thrash Metal, Rap, and Country.  That is like a musical game of rock/paper/scissors.  No two seem to mesh and I think that is fucking awesome.

2. As far as the hatred for country music goes, I can only offer my own insight.  My girlfriend is a huge country music fan.  So whenever we are driving, she typically gets to choose the music because seeing her happy makes me happy.  What I have noticed in mainstream country music is that it all seems to be about love, sadness as a result of love, pickup trucks, beer, and America being the greatest.  Moreover, it's the impact that country stars have on their fanbase that I relate country music to and that leaves a weird taste in my mouth.  All famous musicians are essentially corporate billboards anymore, but country stars (from what I can gather) seem to be the biggest sponsors of brand names than any other type of musician; which makes sense because they are the hottest genre at the moment.  When I think of country music and product placement, I instantly think of Ford vs. Chevy, Miller vs. Budweiser, Levis vs. Wrangler...just a whole bunch of shit that never needed to have a "pick sides" mentality to it that suddenly does because some guy with a guitar and a microphone gave "their" opinion on the matter.  My issue with country is it's simplistic lyrical content paired with a constant upbeat twangy sound with a few brand names thrown in, and people just eat it up.  There is some country I enjoy, but none of it will ever be heard on the radio because it doesn't appeal to the feelgood or "relatability" seeking demographic that makes up the mainstream country fanbase.