Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

I've actually met quite a few millenials who's favorite styles of music were country, rap, and pop. Not much of a surprise though considering the current trends of music, at least here in the US; largest group sets the trend, which is gonna be millenials for the music industry, at least until the youngest millenials are nearing 30 and the next generation acquires jobs and money without many bills (teens-to-20s).

27 minutes ago, Tracer said:

1. I have never met anybody who said their favorites genres of music were Thrash Metal, Rap, and Country.  That is like a musical game of rock/paper/scissors.  No two seem to mesh and I think that is fucking awesome.

My three favourite genres of music are extreme metal, rap and classical music. I also really like a handful of country artists. 

Edited by Ajora

On 5/28/2017 at 3:19 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

I Also don't understand the hate on Country music. I CAN'T find any reason to hate on James Taylor or John Denver they are musically gifted.

No offense, but country SUCKS. I hate it personally because everyone at my high school was country h@&% and I had to hear that shit everywhere I went. The songs seem all the same to me, but I think that's because I don't immerse myself in it and generally try to avoid it. I just think it's a boring genre of music.

Edited by Seidolon

13 minutes ago, Seidolon said:

No offense, buy country SUCKS. I hate it personally because everyone at my high school was country hick and I had to hear that shit everywhere I went. The songs seem all the same to me, but I think that's because I don't immerse myself in it and generally try to avoid it. I just think it's a boring genre of music.

Some people might find the use of "hick" here in a negative tone offensive, but luckily you said "no offense, but..." so offensive words+meaning are nullified.

Favorite Movie Genre:

Impossible Question

Favorite Food:

Impossible Question

Favorite Holiday:

Christmas

Favorite Memory:

There's a few

Worst Memory:

There's a few

Favorite Outfit:

Comfortable shoes, Levi's 505 jeans and a v neck (not too much of a v) with no logo preferably colorful

Favorite Genre Of Music: Impossible Question

Most Hated Genre of Music:

Music > Hate

Left Handed or Right Handed:

Right

Worst Injury:

Smashing my knee on the stem on my handlebars and having to get a huge needle in my leg to suck the excess juice out.

Favorite Hobby:

Playing guitar

Your Definition of Success:

Health is wealth

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: Yes, but it's a series of black and white, "situations." If viewed from far away it's very gray. Perception is key.

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

Some people might find the use of "hick" here in a negative tone offensive, but luckily you said "no offense, but..." so offensive words+meaning are nullified.

I know you're using sarcasm to try to make me look stupid, so I appreciate that. I said a word that you don't like. BOO FUCKING HOO GET OVER IT. Did you even read anything else or are you just worried about that one word?

2 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

Seidolon how old are you? you're coming across like you're 12

On 5/22/2017 at 8:10 PM, Seidolon said:

My Age: 19

Classic 12-year-old insult. Why am I coming across like a 12 year old? I'm sick of people getting mad at me for one word from the entire post. Don't bother replying about what I am talking about, just complain about a word I used. That's more childish wouldn't you think?

I agree we should not be revealing, now we know that popular threads started by 40oz can be deleted without a clue

27 minutes ago, Cupboard said:

I agree we should not be revealing, now we know that popular threads started by 40oz can be deleted without a clue

I was wondering what happened, I tried sharing a post only for the page to spit out an error and it disappeared from the database. Wondered if the forum software just bugged out or Lin went turbo.

Heh, worst fears confirmed.

4 hours ago, Seidolon said:

I know you're using sarcasm to try to make me look stupid, so I appreciate that. I said a word that you don't like. BOO FUCKING HOO GET OVER IT. Did you even read anything else or are you just worried about that one word?

If my goal was to make one or both of us look stupid: trust me, I'd have no problems doing so; looking stupid is a fairly easy thing to accomplish, as viewed by most online flame-wars :) I could say here "Welcome to Ultra Progressive World? Enjoy your stay." but you seem to be taking things personal enough so I'll cut with the jokes and be serious for a small fraction of a moment.

Let's reread what you had to say:

5 hours ago, Seidolon said:

No offense, buy country SUCKS. I hate it personally because everyone at my high school was country hick and I had to hear that shit everywhere I went. The songs seem all the same to me, but I think that's because I don't immerse myself in it and generally try to avoid it. I just think it's a boring genre of music.

It "SUCKS," first off; let's think about how those all-caps come across (and I mostly agree with that statement, btw, lol). You "hate it personally because everyone at [your] high school [were] country hick(s) and [you] had to hear that shit everywhere [you] went." This statement implies that both you don't care for "hicks" and that you do not view yourself as a "hick," which is about akin in my book to the basis of any other form of bigotry from one group to another; "Us and Them." I suppose I could continue to break this down and connect dots of my own interpretation, but I think this is enough to make the point. But that begs the question: do you look for similarities or differences in others you view unlike yourself? Or is the phrasing of that question an indication of the answer? Looking for differences only leads to a further separation between "Us and Them," which is also part of the basis of bigotry.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a mutt of many races. If you walked up to me and said, "hey you wop," I'd probably look at you, laugh, and say "hi." Hell you could even walk up to me and ask me how long it would take me to start eating babies if a modern day potato famine kicked in and I'd get nothing but a good kick out of the well-read/cultured insult. But if you go and say you hate something because "all the [insert disparaging label for (especially stereotypes of) group 'Them' here] do it," that's just racist/bigoted, just the same as what you said is bigoted. My point wasn't even the word "hick" by itself, but that combined with the phrasing and meaning of the statement. Most people don't mind being called (in person, here) a racist name when it's done 'with love' (for lack of a better phrasing); the words aren't the problem, the meaning is.

Another thing you have to consider is the medium in which you say things on; this is a public forum, where what you say will be visible to all who care to read it for the conceivable future. Never mind that conveying something that could be a light-hearted joke, but which also borders on something much worse, through text to complete strangers (most of which are from different areas of the country/world and therefore have not only different experiences than you do, but different cultures as well) is just a terrible idea. If you came up to me irl and said that, I might laugh, especially if I knew you and you knew that some of my family are "hicks," (and I live 'south of the Mason-Dixon line, so some people are a bit 'country' here, which would also make the word use seem to be a purposeful joke) but at the same time this isn't person-to-person communication and needs to be handled differently. Whenever you write or type something, you impose a tone upon your words. Both knowing what tone you convey and interpreting tone from others is a very tough skill to learn, which probably nobody has truly mastered, so you need to recognize that and accommodate for it.

But the number one rule of functioning well within any society: if you realize that people call you out on saying bad things... stop saying those bad things.

3 hours ago, Seidolon said:
Classic 12-year-old insult. Why am I coming across like a 12 year old? I'm sick of people getting mad at me for one word from the entire post. Don't bother replying about what I am talking about, just complain about a word I used. That's more childish wouldn't you think?

I don't want to start shit, but you seem to be getting quite defensive at all this, which is a sign of immaturity. Rehelekalikalollipopretep is usually a cool dude in his posts; I doubt he was saying that without the intent of helping you realize how you come across to others. We all make mistakes, myself included; all we can hope is that we are either smart enough to find them on our own (which we'll miss many) or that we have surrounded ourselves with good people who will point out our mistakes and help us to learn from them. My first post had a joke because I don't see it as that big of a deal; everybody has the potential for prejudice because its foundations are wired in the very way our brains' function. We all have areas to improve and grow; I just hope you see this failing within yourself and take the opportunity to grow from it. We are creatures of habit; the bad habits are always the easiest to start and the toughest to break. But it ain't like I hate you now; it's still chill, so don't take things too personally :) We've all been there before; some go there more than others.

6 hours ago, Tracer said:

My issue with country is it's simplistic lyrical content paired with a constant upbeat twangy sound with a few brand names thrown in, and people just eat it up.

Well not everyonne can appreciate 4000 Petrucci Beats per Minute. People like what they like. Thats not really the Genre's fault but the industry as a whole.

@FonzeDude, the fact that you care so much about what I'm saying really worries me. You put waaaaaaay too much effort into your last post. I thought we were done with this hours ago, but it seems you've just been spending all that time just responding to me. I don't hate people who listen to country music, and hell, I didn't even know the word "hick" was derogatory until you just got mad at me. I got slightly pissed earlier because of the fact that you felt the need to make a sarcastic remark towards me about one single fucking word. If I went on a hateful rant against people who like country music, then I'd understand your point, but I only commented on the music. I never said I don't care for "hicks", just that there were lots of them at my school. For someone who doesn't want to start shit, you certainly were eager to complain about the most minuscule part of my post.

"...you seem to be getting quite defensive at all this, which is a sign of immaturity."

I'm not getting defensive, but the fact that you started this whole thing by getting mad at me for using the word "hick" really pissed me the fuck off.

@jazzmaster9

I don't think it's the industry's fault so much as it's just what some people like to listen to. With all of these online websites (YouTube, Discogs, etc) it's super easy to find the less popular 'underground' forms of music if you choose to do so. All the complex/extreme/experimental stuff you could possibly dream of, at your fingertips.

If you go actively looking for it, you'll find it. And most can be sampled for free. In this sense it's easier than ever before to surround yourself in niche interests through the web. And find like-minded communities of people who love the same things.

Though there's clearly a much larger demand for simple mainstream music by comparison. Otherwise pop and country wouldn't be getting hundreds of millions of views on the net. Matter of taste difference.

29 minutes ago, Seidolon said:

I didn't even know the word "hick" was derogatory until you just got mad at me.

Here at doomworld, if someone disagrees with you it is considered offensive behavior.  Everyone is sensitive and everything is offensive.

I always question why people who go "why are you fussing at a word" use words in the first place. After all, to them words clearly have no power, and putting forth that they have power makes them go ballistic. Putting forth that they have power through words make them go ballistic. How about that.

I guess the simple answer is "they have the self-awareness of a cabbage" but I feel like that would be giving too little credit to the Brassican adaptability.

1 hour ago, Seidolon said:

@FonzeDude, the fact that you care so much about what I'm saying really worries me. You put waaaaaaay too much effort into your last post.

Oh no, effort! There's nothing more embarrassing than putting effort into something!

It's like comparing a band/artist, Youtube videos that have hundred millions of views and underground music with barely 1000 views.

It doesn't make the most popular ones better, in fact, the less known ones are often better...

But yeah, i guess i just have dumb music taste compared to the majority of people.

Wow, who knew that me using the word "hick" would derail the entire thread. Get a fucking life guys.

18 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

It's like comparing a band/artist, Youtube videos that have hundred millions of views and underground music with barely 1000 views.

It doesn't make the most popular ones better, in fact, the less known ones are often better...

But yeah, i guess i just have dumb music taste compared to the majority of people.

I don't think we were arguing that more view = better.

We are just saying the people like what they like to listen to and it doesn't make their taste better or worse than others.

13 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I don't think we were arguing that more view = better.

We are just saying the people like what they like to listen to and it doesn't make their taste better or worse than others.

Exactly. More popular, not necessarily better. People get what people want... and the pop genre is a money making machine.

Eh, here goes the difference between making music for the sake of money or to please people, and making it for theirselves first.

4 hours ago, Arctangent said:

I always question why people who go "why are you fussing at a word" use words in the first place. After all, to them words clearly have no power, and putting forth that they have power makes them go ballistic. Putting forth that they have power through words make them go ballistic. How about that.

I guess the simple answer is "they have the self-awareness of a cabbage" but I feel like that would be giving too little credit to the Brassican adaptability.

im going to try and remember this; what a perfect summation of the whole problem!

Guest Unregistered account

Why's everyone hate EDM? ;)

Favorite Movie Genre: Probably animated... I enjoyed Terminator 1/2/3 and Alien, but I haven't really seen enough of either of those genres to say I like them.

Favorite Food: PANCAKES. My dad makes the gosh-diddly-darn best pancakes known to humankind.

Favorite Holiday: Probably Christmas!

Favorite Memory: Being on holiday with our puppy, Kipper, in Cornwall.

Worst Memory: Around 8PM at night. Watching my dad in a rush to take Kipper out the door while we all tried to say goodbye to him, having known for the whole day that this was the day he would be put down.

Favorite Outfit:

NO STYLE

NO GRACE

TH-TH-TH THIS KONG

HAS A FUNNY FACE

Jeans + T+shirt + hoodie + trainers. Basic bitchhhh

Favorite Genre Of Music: EDM!!

Okay, not entirely. I guess I kinda like everything since I took Music GCSE - I'm in love with Capercaillie's Skye Walking Song and Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint. But I guess my favourite genre, since I listened to it a lot in Cornwall, would be TouHou trance. I usually prefer the instrumentals, but don't mind either way.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Probably the club music that's played on Radio 1 at Friday afternoons. I don't think I particularly hate any genre.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Righty

Worst Injury: My left arm was broken as the result of some guy jumping on my back.

Favorite Hobby: I have a lot. Drawing? Digital art? Music making? Map making? Game playing's high up the list!

Your Definition of Success: Being happy. Like, with yourself. Sounds stupid, but you know, when you are, that you're enjoying yourself.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: nah m8

A music argument on Doomworld and I wasn't a part of it?

Also would update on my Worst Injury: I threw up recently and my jaw dislocated so I couldn't close my mouth. Literally couldn't even close it. Had to go to the emergency room to get it popped back in since my muscles were stiff from throwing up (normally I learned a technique for fixing my jaw myself).

15 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Because a word's only purpose is to convey information.  Words are an insentient, metaphysical series of lines and shapes incapable of any physical action.  Words can influence action, that is true.  But if you're going to get hurt, make it by something that can actually bruise you.  To allow a word to get you so down only empowers the one who said it.  By laughing off a mean or offensive word, you win.  

I get called mean things all the time due to my weight.  If I got upset every time I heard someone comment on it in a mean way, I'd lose my mind.  So I smile and just remind myself that despite what they said, I am still standing.

At worst, I view people who say offensive or mean things but are not doing any physical damage (or ordering people to carry out physical harm if they are in a position to do such a thing) as immature pricks.

Edited by Tracer