Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

there's so much wrong with that post i dont even know where to start but i'll address three:

1) words do a lot more than just conveying information, and therefore,

2) the misuse of 'words' (or language) can make people a lot worse than just 'immature pricks'

3) what you've replied to wasn't even what Arctangent was getting at in the first place!

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

Because a word's only purpose is to convey information.  Words are an insentient, metaphysical series of lines and shapes incapable of any physical action.  Words can influence action, that is true.  But if you're going to get hurt, make it by something that can actually bruise you.  To allow a word to get you so down only empowers the one who said it.  By laughing off a mean or offensive word, you win.

This is just an adult's way of explaining sticks & stones, but it still ignores the fact that context matters. If I angrily call you mean names, declare you worthless and say I never want to see you again, you may indeed shrug it off, because I'm just an impersonal voice from the Internet. But if I do the same thing in real life, you'll get my raw emotions spat in your face and it will be much harder to ignore and reconcilliate. If I do the same thing in real life and I'm your boss, you will have a VERY hard time keeping your calm. And if I do the same thing in real life and I'm your mother, you'll probably have a long cry that night. You're right that words only carry information, but that information carries weight, and that weight can mercilessly crush you.

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

At worst, I view people who say offensive or mean things but are not doing any physical damage (or ordering people to carry out physical harm if they are in a position to do such a thing) as immature pricks.

Is this about Tru-uhhhmm nvm.

18 hours ago, Tracer said:

Everyone is sensitive and everything is offensive.

Obligatory drive-by post pointing out the irony of Doomworld's most easily triggered toddler calling other people out on their sensitivity.

2 hours ago, dew said:

This is just an adult's way of explaining sticks & stones, but it still ignores the fact that context matters. If I angrily call you mean names, declare you worthless and say I never want to see you again, you may indeed shrug it off, because I'm just an impersonal voice from the Internet. But if I do the same thing in real life, you'll get my raw emotions spat in your face and it will be much harder to ignore and reconcilliate. If I do the same thing in real life and I'm your boss, you will have a VERY hard time keeping your calm. And if I do the same thing in real life and I'm your mother, you'll probably have a long cry that night. You're right that words only carry information, but that information carries weight, and that weight can mercilessly crush you.

Is this about Tru-uhhhmm nvm.

Congratulations dew, you got me again and also have proven that you know how I react to real life situations.  Here's another high five.  You keep this up and I'll be all out of fives to give.

Also, here, you dropped this.

shure-sm58-dynamic-mic.jpg

Favorite Movie Genre: Superhero because movies suck as an art form

Favorite Food: Hamburgers

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Memory: Becoming a meme

Worst Memory: Becoming a normie

Favorite Outfit: Anything as long as it involes my silver and blue Nike sneakers and my New England Patriots cap. 

Favorite Genre Of Music: Punk

Most Hated Genre of Music: EDM

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: Was run over as a kid by a sno-tube and paralyzed for several seconds. 

Favorite Hobby: Tossup between videogames and bass guitar

Favorite movie genre: Action (That stuff is fun to watch)

Favorite food: Burgers (Yummy.)

Favorite holiday: Christmas (I feel very happy and nice)

Favorite memory: Running to Seven Eleven with my Dad to get slushies (Oh such joy!)

Worst memory: Visiting my grandpa in a hospice only 2 days before his death.

Age: 14  (I can't tell if you guys are willing to take this sitting down.)

Favorite outfit: Blue jacket with beanie to match, along with black pants. (I think I wear it well)

Favorite music: Synthwave (Thanks, Hotline Miami)

Most hated music: Country (Obnoxious and formulaic)

Left or right handed: Lefty

Worst injury: Cracking my head open on the end of a table as a little babby. (How did I survive that?!)

Favorite Hobby: I hop between games and drawing.

Definition of success: If the result of your efforts makes you feel good, you succeeded.

Are situations black and white: To an extent, yes.

Way to die that's not in your sleep: Murdered, it's more disturbing. (Thank you bzzrak for getting this question.)

Edited by VirtualOwl13

horror/Romance  

thai food  

none  

not sure on favorite memory  

not sure on this one either  

dark grey shirt, black jeans  

deep dubstep, death metal, or whatever Enya makes  

don't hate any types of music, there's only stuff out there that isn't for me  

right handed  

broke my right wrist a few years ago  

Music production  

define "success"  

nothing is black or white

On 6/6/2017 at 9:09 AM, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

something badass and cheesy, or something that's just plain ol' weird and spooky

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. GO WATCH IT.

Well...here I go

Favorite movie genre: Action stuff

Favorite food: Rice and some added thing, of course

Favorite holiday: Independence Day

Favorite outfit: T-shirt and short pants

Favorite/Worst memory: Best memory? When I was in Venice, I'll never forget that. Worst memory? nah...really don't have one tbh

Favorite genre of music: I don't have a specific favorite genre. I like to listen almost everything, even classical stuff.

Most hated genre of music: REGGAETON!!!......f*** reggaeton

Worst injury: Burned with an iron, multiple scratches all around my body. And a testicular infection if that counts for an injury....that really sucked!!!

Favorite hobby: Doing videos to YT and of course, playing Doom...

Definition of success: For all things, respect and trust is my way of unite and meet people and to open many ways too....

Are situations black and white: Depends on the situation imo...

1 minute ago, Tracer said:

Oh God...

Anyone here got kicked in the balls? Well...imagine that same constant fucking pain for at least 2 weeks. That's what it feels :(

I have a new respect for you, Leo.  That is fucking brutal.

Were you just woofing down painkillers the whole time?  Cold or hot compressions?  ...draining...?

16 minutes ago, Tracer said:

I have a new respect for you, Leo.  That is fucking brutal.

Were you just woofing down painkillers the whole time?  Cold or hot compressions?  ...draining...?

Actually, I don't know how I got that infection, just got that suddenly one night...and thanks to the antibiotics, I was able to recover. My right testicle was a pool ball-like size.

1. Favorite Movie Genre: Sci-fi
  2. Favorite Food: Bacon
  3. Favorite Holiday: As long as it nets me a day off I'm good
  4. Favorite Memory: Falling in love for the first time
  5. Worst Memory: Certain family member being a complete bitch for most of my youth
  6. Age: 35
  7. Favorite Outfit: As long as it's comfortable, I prefer t-shirts and shorts but living in the Netherlands, now's about the only period I get to live the dream.
  8. Favorite Genre Of Music: No particular genres but particular artists
  9. Most Hated Genre of Music: Anything that has Fred Durst on it
  10. Left Handed or Right Handed: Southpaw baby
  11. Worst Injury: Almost losing my right eye because I fell on the corner of a table, having a hole in the back of my neck after falling against the corner of yet another table. Scraping my upperlip across the pavement while crashing with my bike and no tables in sight. Then again, I have never broken a bone in my body.
  12. Favorite Hobby: Feeding my brain
  13. Your Definition of Success: Nothing to lose, nothing to prove
  14. In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: No, they're white and black

Favorite Movie Genre: Science Fiction & Horror

Favorite Food: Pizza

Favorite Holiday: Halloween

Favorite Outfit: White zip up hoodie, black t-shirt, relaxed jeans, Nike shoes

Favorite Genre Of Music: Electro-industrial

Most Hated Genre of Music: Country & Rap

Favorite Hobby: Astronomy

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: I typically see things in Blue and Orange

Favorite Movie Genre: No favorite genre, favorite movies are 3 Women, Carrie and The Shining.

Favorite Food: Don't really have one. Not something I put much thought into.

Favorite Holiday: Christmas.

Favorite Genre Of Music: No favorite genre, plenty of favorite artists though. Björk, Nine Inch Nails, Kate Bush, Sóley, FKA Twigs, Regina Spektor, etc.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap. Can't stand it.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right handed.

Worst Injury: I've been lucky. Never even broke anything.

Your Definition of Success: Not being a total fuck up and making something of myself, whatever it is.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Different shades of gray.

Favorite Movie Genre: action, i guess, but i don't watch a ton of movies

Favorite Food: steak

Favorite Holiday: christmas

Favorite Memory: having friends and a girlfriend

Worst Memory: when my family got rid of our dog when i was about 11 or so

Favorite Outfit: pajama pants and a t-shirt

Favorite Genre Of Music: alternative rock, i guess. i feel like that's a bit too broad of a term, but whatever

Most Hated Genre of Music: i don't hate any genre.

Left Handed or Right Handed: right

Worst Injury: broken arm in like... kindergarten

Favorite Hobby: listening to music

Your Definition of Success: just enjoying life and doing what you want to.

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: i think most things fall into a grey area, but there are some issues where there is clearly a wrong side and a right one

Movie Genre: Science Fiction

Favourite food - Spicy Indian cuisine.

Favourite holiday - Diwali (Indian festival of lights)

Favourite memory - Everytime I travel on a train.

Worst memory - Mom's death in 2005.

Age - Almost 15.

Favorite outfit - Black Skull-and-crossbones Metallica T-shirt + Blue jeans

Favourite genre of music - Electronic, Techno, Rock metal

Worst gernre of music - Hip Hop

Left or Right-handed - Right.

Worst injury - Thumb bone of my left toe being broken.

Favourite Hobby - Doom.

Definition of Success - SO MUCH MOOLA!! $$

Are situations black and white-  What?

On 5/29/2017 at 1:28 PM, Kiyohiro said:

Favorite genre of music: Jazz

That's what's up!

Favorite Movie Genre: "Surrealist/Avant-Garde" stuff like Nicolas Winding Refn or Alejandro Jodorowsky

Favorite Food: Pizza, Burritos, Tostadas, Spaghetti, White Rice, junk food every now and then, popcorn all the time

Favorite Holiday: Halloween

Favorite Memory: Smoking weed for the first time and listening to Melvins as time slowed down (I know, I'm not trying to be cringey but I do have a card for it so it's at least practical for me I guess). 

Worst Memory: Being homeless with my dad

Favorite Outfit: Black clothes

Favorite Genre Of Music: Industrial, Jazz, Pop, Dark Trap/Rap, Noise

Most Hated Genre of Music: Probably metal because of the fan base and billions of metal bands that I don't care about, but I still love metal as I love all music (I only named myself after an infamous sludge metal band after all)

Worst Injury: Do mental injuries count? I've had C-PTSD since I was at least 12 years old. 

Favorite Hobby: Listening to music and making music

Your Definition of Success: Living my life the way I want to live it

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: No, people and life are multi-faceted and way too complicated for it all to be boiled down to Thing 1 and Thing 2. 

Favorite Movie Genre: Sci-FI

Favorite Food: Pasta

Favorite Holiday: Christmas. One of the few times of the year when I don't have to cook

Favorite Memory: Lying in a field in Edinburgh looking up at the night sky, surrounded by a mix of firends and strangers

Worst Memory: Not something I like to think about

Favorite Outfit: That depends ...

Favorite Genre Of Music: Trance

Most Hated Genre of Music: Country

Worst Injury: Broken arm

Favorite Hobby: Tie between gaming and music production

Your Definition of Success: Feeling content

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: No

Favourite Movie Genre: Christian & Gospel ;P

Favourite Food: Pizza (geek alert ;)Favourite Holiday: Birthday (yes, I just made that a holiday ;)

Favourite Memory: Joining DoomWorld

Worst Memory: Moving on...

Favourite Music: Doom

Hated Music: Rap, pop, techno, and disco

Dominant Hand: Left

Worst Injury: Fell on a piece of solid metal, landed on my forehead.

Favourite Hobby: DOOM!!!!!!

In your opinion, are situation typically black or white: What...

Edited by Barons O' Fun

Favorite movie genre: Action, Sci Fi and Comedy

Favorite food: Dark Chocolate

Favorite holiday: Christmas 

Favorite memory: My wedding in 2014, it erased a lot of bitterness in my life. A very memorable day.

Worst memory: Anything to do with religion, treated like **** at school in grade 5.

Favorite outfit: Shirt n' Shorts in the summer.

Favorite music: Rock, EDM, Trance (especially psytrance), World Music, Orchestral, Some hip hop

Most hated music: That slow downtempo country music

Left or right handed: Right

Worst injury: Knee MCL (basketball), fractured wrist

Favorite Hobby: Composing, creativity, fitness and trading card collecting

Definition of success: Enjoy life, believe and go for it!

Are situations black and white: Yes for sure

Way to die that's not in your sleep: Maybe something quick, jumping off a building. How I wish it was a direct hit from the BFG9000, nah

Favorite

-------------------

movie: I guess horror

food: Food

holiday: eeehhhhhh, don't really have one.....

memory: beating the shit out of this kid that would always pick on me

outfit: Shorts, and shirts

music: Metal

hobby: Doom, music

least favourite

------------------------

movie: Romance, soap operas

music: Whatever the hell kids are listening to nowadays...

memory: Too many to pick...

lefty or righty: Left

worst injury: Leg slipped between two  stacks of concrete blocks, shredded up my leg pretty good...

your definition of success: Freedom (what's left of it anyway)

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Favorite Movie Genre: Horror, but I also enjoy a good drama and movies that overlap in that regard.

Favorite Food: I like most types of food, really.

Favorite Holiday: I hate holidays. To me, every day of the week can be just as special or unique as another.

Favorite Memory: Visiting the US (west-coast). Fun times!

Worst Memory: Nothing specific, but having lived with two brothers who I absolutely despise is the one thing that comes to mind.

Favorite Outfit: Goth outfits, dresses, alternative style, etc.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Most forms of electronic music, metal (mostly extreme stuff such as black and death)

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap / hip-hop. Anything that has "rapping" in it makes me twitchy as hell, because it's basically somebody talking really fast to you in a generally angry and / or obnoxious manner.

Worst Injury: I broke my arm as a kid at one point, but I have very little recollection of that.

Favorite Hobby: Anything creative, from writing and drawing to composing music for my band.

Your Definition of Success: Being happy with who you are, with who you're with, and doing what you love.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: No. This is also why I typically hate discussing politics with people who are very tribal about either the left or the right side of the political spectrum. I believe there is nuance in everything, and tribalism is a thing that greatly taints a lot of people's understanding of one another.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:07 AM, TFK said:

Favourite holiday - Diwali (Indian festival of lights)

I cant helo but be reminded of this