Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Make ugly WAD into great WAD Megawad

2 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

The good tuneup maps were good 1994 maps. You cannot turn a terrible level into a good one without just making a new map and pretending it's based on the old one.

I kinda agree with you, but you think so?

Not the best example maybe, but it gives a idea of what people can do when remaking at their best to any kind of layout and gameplay...

5 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

You think so?

Not the best example maybe, but it gives a idea of what people can do when remaking at their best to any kind of layout...

That original 94 map is a cool puzzle :D

Ruined.

3 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

The idea is fundamentally unworkable. A good map comes out of a good layout, and layout is the very first step to making a map. The good tuneup maps were good 1994 maps. You cannot turn a terrible level into a good one without just making a new map and pretending it's based on the old one.

You can make even the poorest layouts workable with structural alterations that preserve the spirit of the original, such as: 

- getting rid of unnecessary doors

- tearing down walls to form more open connections in areas

- widening and expanding hallways between two rooms

- adding extra windows and such for extra lines of sight
- adding more height variation and gameplay-shaping features

For example, the top series of rooms is pretty dire here, basically just rooms and hallways. You can even imagine a door on every hallway, for maximal awfulness. 

ZsIZkh1.png

But open up a hallway, make it a nukage pit, extend another hallway a bit, and something like a loop and a pair of lifts (red) with a switch (also red) to activate it, and you have a workable area. Imagine that area being connected to other areas that were originally bad but were fixed up in other ways, and you can get a decent map from a bad one without making any truly new areas. 

Yes, you able add new room and that make more interesting and more action. And you able change some strategies for example keys or exit buttons are on other room etc.

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Not the best example maybe, but it gives a idea of what people can do when remaking at their best to any kind of layout and gameplay...

Oh, I said that why the second title seems familiar. Then I found out it's my friend's video.

Anyway, I guess this is more likely to be a "spirit" successor rather than remake the map, so basically only one idea is transferred, but only like 5% of the new map.

6 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I kinda agree with you, but you think so?

just found that my video is here lol

Well, personally I like the idea of tuning up crap wads or old half-maked wads, so I recorded the full run of 1994 tuneup project. Looking forward to your wad!

12 hours ago, Benjogami said:

That original 94 map is a cool puzzle :D

Ruined.

Actually, I was thinking if with this project somebody will give some justice to James Ojätse maps... i'll already gave with the Tune Up and the Undead 94 projects, but i'm curious how other people will do this author... Or any other bad map...

I want to see someone remake my ultra-shitty first level format. When I started modding before I quit for years I had something called "Chambers of Death" that I even went so far as to making a trilogy out of. They were "megawads" that consisted of all the same level format because I couldn't figure anything else out so I just copy/pasted the same "Z" shape. I think it's in something called erlywads.zip but just search the name jerry lehr on the id archives. There is also "battlefields" with the same concept, but a second level format. I remade a chambers of death level in chaos3.zip which was e2m3 I believe, but maybe a different level lump. I also did the same thing in glacial caverns. I really need to make NEW shit lol

or not, for the better of humanity.

40 minutes ago, Lokust Sun said:

I want to see someone remake my ultra-shitty first level format. When I started modding before I quit for years I had something called "Chambers of Death" that I even went so far as to making a trilogy out of. They were "megawads" that consisted of all the same level format because I couldn't figure anything else out so I just copy/pasted the same "Z" shape. I think it's in something called erlywads.zip but just search the name jerry lehr on the id archives. There is also "battlefields" with the same concept, but a second level format. I remade a chambers of death level in chaos3.zip which was e2m3 I believe, but maybe a different level lump. I also did the same thing in glacial caverns. I really need to make NEW shit lol

or not, for the better of humanity.

You can fix your own mistakes. You can learn mapping again and do remake of your maps. 

Remastering some maps is good for re-learning the concept of mapping.

I have lol and I guess I can again. I just wanted to see someone else's twist on it.