Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Am I the Only One on Doomworld Who Saw This Movie?

What movie came to mind when you read the thread title? Talk about that movie! Do you recommend it or not? Is it really obscure? Is it a little-celebrated film? Does it deserve more or less love than it gets? Yes, this is kind of a sister thread to Tracer's Horrible Movies thread, with maybe a more positive slant. It's fun to talk about shit movies and why we hate them, but I'd like to talk about underappreciated movies, too.

I'm a James Bond fan -- have been since I was a kid -- but I loathe Bond parodies (and to that extent, most of the Roger Moore films for being exactly that, rest his soul). Bond parodies are almost always the same thing that Austin Powers was: gaudy, insipid, annoying, basically live-action cartoons.

So I really love The Liquidator, a Bond spoof starring Rod Taylor as the lamentably named Boysie Oakes. It parodies Bond in a cleverer way than all the other spoofs put together. Oakes is roped into becoming an assassin for the British government who liquidates moles in the system. There's just one problem: Oakes is a lazy, cowardly skirt-chaser with no stomach for killing, a terrible case of mistaken identity (he accidentally saved his future boss's life during WWII, who mistakenly believes him to be a stone-cold killer). It gets even better when Oakes hires a professional hitman to kill his targets for him so he can keep living the high life and taking credit for the kills...until he's given an assignment in the middle of his vacation and is forced to be the hero for once. It's a brilliant comedy and a good spy thriller, too. They even got Shirley Bassey to sing the opening theme.

Also most of the movies I talk about will probably be from the 70s and earlier.

Now, I know a lot of obscure and forgotten movies, but this one I have never EVER seen people discussing. Only reason I know it wasn't a hallucination is because I saw it twice.

Aero-Troopers: The Nemeclous Crusade. I saw this movie on Nickelodeon back in 2004 or 2005. It's a movie about a boy who lived in this tree village, that is attacked by a giant metal serpent or something. He escapes and is picked up by these sky troopers, that teach him how to be a pilot, fight against sky pirates, that kind of stuff.

The whole movie has this really dated CGI look, and the characters frankly look like corpses. But other than that, I think it's an alright movie, and I really love the setting and design, like the ships, the world they live in(which was mostly water as far as I can tell, which explains why most of the action happened in the air).

When I first saw it it was dubbed, but I torrented and watched it again a 2 or 3 years ago, and to my surprise, Mark Hamill has a role in it too, playing the older version of the main character, who narrates the story.

35 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Aero-Troopers: The Nemeclous Crusade

"I spend almost all my time on the flight deck, watching the winds push the clouds by. I have since I was young."

"...Aren't you, like, twelve?"

You're right, they do look like cadavers. And I never even HEARD of this movie.

How about Hesher?  

Plot: Following the loss of his mother in a car crash, T.J. (Devin Brochu) falls into a state of depression. He becomes obsessed with the car his mother died in and follows it when it is towed away. He and his passive, depressed and pill-taking father Paul (Rainn Wilson) live with T.J.'s grandmother Madeleine (Piper Laurie), where they are soon joined by a squatter, Hesher (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a foul-mouthed, tattooed, heavy metal-loving lout.

More info: Most if not all of the soundtrack is comprised of Metallica and Mötorhead.  The movie is full of funny parts, but also has a great lesson at the end.  Here is the trailer.

Edited by Tracer

Macbeth is probably my all-time favorite of Shakespeare's plays. So, when I came across the 1979 movie version, featuring Ian McKellen (of Gandalf fame) and Dame Judi Dench (of James Bond's M fame), I naturally jumped on the opportunity to watch it. Anyone else watch it?

My comments, spoilered below:

Spoiler

I expected lush scenes of the Scottish countryside. I got dark shadows on a stage.

I expected gore and the tormented, gurgling screams of King Duncan. I got sinister references to the murder.

I expected a movie. I got a stage play where the main characters are in spotlights, and nothing else. Not even stage props. Not even backdrops with scenery.

Bah!

Speaking of M, that's the name of the movie I saw the other day. It has Peter Lorre as a child murder who, when he was caught, said that he couldn't help it. The first half of the movie was spent trying to find the guy, but everyone was stumped until some random person recognized a song he kept whistling. The next third of the movie was about him on the run, mostly holed up in an office building (this is 1930s Germany). The last sixth was when he was caught and tried by a mob, then being tried by an actual court. We never see what the verdict at the end was though.

We watched M in a film noir course at ASU West. Peter Lorre's first role if I remember right.

Incidentally, Gert Frobe also played a child molester at one point. He was so creepy it got him the role of Goldfinger!