Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Outrageous Videos

What's The Most Enjoyable Way To Play Slaughtermaps

How do you recommend I play slaughtermaps in general.

should I drink vinegar while I play to enhance the experience?

Or should I glue my fingers together to make movement even more fun. 

How about nightmare difficulty?

tell me what you think the most enjoyable way to play slaughtermaps is

Get some proper drum and bass ready

Get some coffee ready

Put them headphones on
Turn that shit up

Grind that sucker until you hate yourself

Done... :p

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Get some proper drum and bass ready

Get some coffee ready

Put them headphones on
Turn that shit up

Grind that sucker until you hate yourself

Done... :p

I've been doing that 12 hours every day for the past three weekends on ng2

but that's not that painful anymore

it doesn't get me mad and in pain so as a result my runs are lacklustre

Well three things for sure are: always take a deep breathe right before the map begins, expect more monsters than usual, and always be ready to change between weapons 5/6/7 because those are the usual stars of those kind of maps. If you are in a good mood, I recommend you to try to have fun, even if you die repeatedly, just laugh and try again. That's what I do and it works fine for me. If you are in a bad mood, do something else.

About nightmare difficulty, no.

9 minutes ago, Outrageous Videos said:

No ng22 speed and max

there's no way I could beat anc's time

I totally missed him getting a demo of that thing up. Gonna have a look soon enough, should be sweet. :)

With the harder ones, it's working out strategies for every encounter (even the easier ones so that they can be handled even easier and more efficiently), and practicing the harder encounters, all with the goal of one-shotting the map. With easier ones it's the same, but optimizing for time instead. That is probably the most rewarding approach for me, but not every map deserves that time investment, so more casual play is usually the norm.

I think I'm fundamentally kind of lazy about Doom though. I have few runs that I've spent more than several hours on. I would like to change that. :) 

Play it with project msx + brutal doom or Russian Overkill just for the hell of it. 

OP doesn't really seem in good faith. That said, I'll bite.

Slaughtermaps are IMO best enjoyed as arcade experiences; where (outside of something cohesive like Sunlust, which does well played continuously) each separate map is the experience. I'll generally pick a WAD and see if I can beat the first map without saving; been pecking at Sunder on HMP for a while, I'm close to beating the first map. The 'without saving' part is IMO a big part of the 'arcade' challenge. Something like a Slaughterfest I'll approach on HNTR because I admit, my skills aren't on a par with some of the seasoned slaughter vets; but in general I'll pick a map (or skip through until there's one that looks nice or has a great MIDI attached to it) and then spend an hour or two with it until it's beaten.

42 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

I'll generally pick a WAD and see if I can beat the first map without saving; been pecking at Sunder on HMP for a while, I'm close to beating the first map.

Sunder doesn't actually have difficulty settings so there's no difference between HNTR/HMP/UV. ITYTD is the only way to tone the difficulty down.

Hahahah! No wonder I've been struggling. I didn't bother to check the WAD out in an editor or anything, just (stupidly) assumed there'd be difficulty settings.

21 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

Pistol start no save.

+drink everytime you die

8 hours ago, Outrageous Videos said:

difficulty doesn't matter that much but the more I get my ass kicked the better

I was wondering what I could do to make the experience more painful

Unlock your mousewheel. ;-)

I actually made a special DeHackEd patch to make slaughtermaps more enjoyable to my perspective. Maybe, just maybe, I will make a mapset for that patch one day.

3 hours ago, antares031 said:

I actually made a special DeHackEd patch to make slaughtermaps more enjoyable to my perspective. Maybe, just maybe, I will make a mapset for that patch one day.

how can you say that but not mention what the changes are? cmon :D

Make sure to hit "Y" when the game asks if you really want to quit.

18 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

how can you say that but not mention what the changes are? cmon :D

Nothing much is changed; -50% HP & off obstacle option to every monsters except boss monsters and lost soul, set the mass "1" to small monsters like zombies and imps, some "reasonably" overpowered weapons for the player.

To compensate the advantage, every projectiles of monsters are boosted to 20 ~ 35. Also, the movement speed is increased to make monsters faster to gather around. With no obstacle and low mass option, it's so satisfying to blow thousands of imps with rapid-fire mini rocket launcher.

Co-op or Survival, Honestly, It's fun to work together and talk with each other about what to do and what to not do, which trap should be triggered first ... etc

1 hour ago, dmg_64 said:

Co-op or Survival, Honestly, It's fun to work together and talk with each other about what to do and what to not do, which trap should be triggered first ... etc

Until you join a real surv server and people just rush everything.