Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
souio

Do you design your wads levels based on HMP or UV?

Then there is also another thing. How many people actually replay a map anyway? Sure the big high profile mods like Hell Revealed and such get replayed by some probably, but with there being more Doom wads than one can realistically play through why even replay the same wad? I almost never do. I play each wad once and then I am done with it and on to the next.

I design for UV and then when I play for a while I bump UV to HMP and make it hard for me again on the new UV. Lately I've been taking a queue from one of Doomkid's maps and using powerups/health /armor to distinguish the level of difficulty. UV 6 Imps SG. HMP 6 Imps SG and Green Armor. This approach seems like a more fun way to play to me. You get to kill all the same things as UV, but you have a lot more resources to help you.

I map with both UV and HMP in mind. Not so much for HNTR and ITYTD because the amount of playtesting i do for both HMP and UV is enough to ruin my patience and sanity so adding two more diffculties to test will burn me out so bad.

Also UV should be hard mode not Normal mode. Thats for HMP

tl:dr

I Hate play testing

IMO I doubt people would get doom for the wads straightaway, which is why UV is one of the most popular difficulty settings. (People are experienced to go for UV in wads afterwards) HMP should be enabled anyway for those who just want to go through the wad in a straightforward manner.

What is people's stance on removing enemies for lower difficulties vs replacing them with weaker variants? Most of the time I see HNTR having almost half the UV monster count. Theoretically you could keep a similar amount of enemies by replacing a percentage of "hard" monsters with Imps and Zombiemen. That way the map doesn't feel underpopulated on easy and the player gets just as much stuff to shoot.