Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Games you play with special rules

In Halo, I make it my duty to make sure every single marine stays alive. Every single one.

Similar scenarios in stuff like Brutal Doom, and even a couple of the Call of Duty games (yeah I play the COD campaigns, come at me)

When playing Phantom Pain, I need to go through the missions without sending the enemy into search mode and only kill when absolutely necessary.  If I can distract them by throwing a magazine, I take that route.

Playing Thief 1 and 2 on expert with no saves on each level. Still haven't beaten the game yet like this but it makes the game way more tense and fun imo.

since all the weapons in trailbazer are ridiculously overpowered, I restrict myself on playing machinegun and/or uzi only and will occasionally use that chrome shotgun thing when facing larger monsters.

I never upgrade my gun when playing Doom '16 on UV.

full pacifist run in Deus Ex.

Don't do it anymore but remember people doing shit in rts games like no fights before an hour and over crap like that in AOE2\RA2\Zero hour\Warcraft 3. I won't play crap like that anymore since it removes most strategy and micro from the games, Hell the thought of tank rushing them is an intriguing one. (Especially Nuke China players)

1 hour ago, R1ck said:

since all the weapons in trailbazer are ridiculously overpowered, I restrict myself on playing machinegun and/or uzi only and will occasionally use that chrome shotgun thing when facing larger monsters.

I never upgrade my gun when playing Doom '16 on UV.

full pacifist run in Deus Ex.

If you play Trailblazer with the intent of looking for a challenge, then you're doing it wrong.

I'll occasionally go through with three heart/no death runs for quick playthroughs for the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask in one sitting. Even then they're still pretty easy unless you have bad luck during a Stalfos encounter, or are touched by an Iron Knuckle near the end of the game.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:23 PM, YukiRaven said:

DDR: I never, ever hold onto the bar and always play on Heavy. 

How the fuck? Max 300's streams are damn near impossible without the bar. I can't pick my feet up that quick without support. 

Just now, stru said:

How the fuck? Max 300's streams are damn near impossible without the bar. I can't pick my feet up that quick without support. 

I dunno, that's just how I learned.  An ex of mine taught me how to play DDR, and the group she was with termed holding onto the bar as "bar raping", so I just sort of learned to never hold onto it.

Good core and some very good leg strength probably helps as well, as does all the practice at home on my PS2.  I can play the same level and get the same scores on my wood-mounted soft pad.  Well probably not anymore since I'm horribly out of practice :-P

I think my sisters cracked Max 300 without the bar in their primes, so its not entirely impossible. Most of my siblings played DDR, and they got really good at it, and all of them would eventually just stop using the bar.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:23 PM, YukiRaven said:

DDR: I never, ever hold onto the bar and always play on Heavy.

I didn't have an arcade-style pad at home, so I couldn't use the bar then. Thusly, I was limited in my mobility. At my DDR prime I was in pretty good shape, but most of the 10-step songs threw my balance off. My problem was that I could process the arrows, I just couldn't make my body move fast enough to actually hit them.

I used the bar at the arcade because the pads are slippery and it helped me keep my footing. Using the bar I could clear all of the hardest songs with As and Bs (until ITG came along). I could get full combos on most of the 9-steps, especially Burning Heat since I played it a million times and it's my favorite song ever.

Playing StepMania with a keyboard I can consistently FC a 12-step and I can clear 14-steps. Beyond that, the step patterns are akin to joke-wads for Doom.

48 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

I could get full combos on most of the 9-steps, especially Burning Heat since I played it a million times and it's my favorite song ever.

That song is soooo fun ^_^  I think my favorite is either "So Deep (Perfect Sphere Mix)" or "Era (Nostal Mix)".  Not the hardest songs by any stretch, but I love them.

One thing I should mention is that I also never use modifiers when playing DDR.  So when I play "Bag", it still looks like a wall of slow moving arrows.  This is mostly because I never knew those options existed until 7th Mix came out, and by then I was used to not playing with them.

On 2017-05-25 at 2:47 AM, Nuxius said:

I play Skyrim with a "no inventory usage during battle" rule.

I play Skyrim with a "no fast travel" rule. It also helps to not pick up a pile of shitty junk.

Sonic 2/S3&K - i always put off getting the final emerald until as late as possible so i don't end up activating Super Sonic accidentally and ruining the level for myself.

Super Mario World - no cape unless accessing secret areas, no use of stored items.

Mario 3 - never use stored items

MGS3 - no regular kills and stamina kill the bosses (although i guess you are technically supposed to play it this way anyway)

On 25/05/2017 at 4:38 AM, Tracer said:

Free Parking in Monopoly means you get all the money that was paid into various chance cards (income tax, state tax, etc.).

Yeah this too usually. I think this is a pretty common thing to add.

3 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

That song is soooo fun ^_^  I think my favorite is either "So Deep (Perfect Sphere Mix)" or "Era (Nostal Mix)".  Not the hardest songs by any stretch, but I love them.

One thing I should mention is that I also never use modifiers when playing DDR.  So when I play "Bag", it still looks like a wall of slow moving arrows.  This is mostly because I never knew those options existed until 7th Mix came out, and by then I was used to not playing with them.

Argh I always use at least 2x, and for Bag I used 5x. I never liked the arrow cluster-fuck.

I played Doom3 Resurrection of Evil without using the artifact, unless the map specifically required it of you. So apart from a few special cases where you needed the time warp effect to traverse the map and against betruger I played the game through without it. Made it a whole lot more fun. Especially the bosses.

I agree with kristus that is a great idea. I remember you posting that restriction, maybe 5+ years ago and I agreed with it then even if I didn't post about it. 

Whenever we used the artifact it usually destroyed all sense of atmosphere since the player vision would distort and we had to rush through the level in order to make the most of the effect. Sort of like how the berserk artifact destroyed the immersion factor in Doom 3, explaining why the damn powerup appeared only twice? Possibly 3 times? The singleplayer campaign took a solid 24 hours to play, FFS

I make a point of ghosting the original Thief games with as few knockouts as possible (usually strategic choices.) The only enemies I don't ghost are undead, which I make a point of destroying.

I play almost all video games without manual saves. The only exceptions are certain games, where if you don't save manually, you have to start the game all over again if you die.

I always start playing video games on the lowest difficulty setting, and then, upon replaying, I gradually move on to the highest one. The only exceptions are games where the easiest difficulty setting is way too easy (like Postal 2's Liebermode difficulty).

I always try to collect all the secrets and items on levels. In fact, I sometimes spend an hour or more checking the map for unfound secrets, after I've already cleared it.

I always try to save ammo for good weapons as much as possible. In Doom, I very rarely use rocket launcher and plasma rifle (usually only on bosses, or when I run out of ammo for weaker weapons) and almost never use the BFG. Using shotgun/chaingun is enough most of the time.

In Dead Space I had to sell every medikit to buy power nodes. Could only heal with health upgrade at the bench when the health bar was red (or none visible, but still alive). Similar for weapons, reloading only with ammo capacity upgrade, until ammo capacity maxed. If doing a replay with the military suit, no upgrades for the character in the first play, and always have to sell all the weapons and items, and reset the cash, so the only advantage for the 2nd playthrough is the suit.

I try to play most first person shooters with only using weaker weapons like, the sub machine gun, battle/assault rifles, shotguns and pistols. I often times forget about the greater weapons in the game.

In games like Mario Cart and Soul Calibur, when I am playing against real people at a party, I have the losers give up the controller after 1 loss and the winner gives up the controller after 3 wins. That way it makes it fair and everyone eventually goes up against everyone else.

In Saints Row 2 I don't buy purple anything. I use black, white and blue in my characters color scheme so purple doesn't work for me.

I play Civilization II on Deity with world conquering in mind with a few restrictions:

- no rush building

- no peace treaties

- military conquest only, no bribing cities or units. Industrial sabotage or tech stealing is allowed.

"No peace treaties" makes building Great Wall a priority, the only alternative is developing Metallurgy quickly (very very very rare), otherwise they will force me to sign a peace treaty. Also it is basically Monarchy only, unless I have no neighbours, then I may allow myself a Republic for a few turns. "No rush building" means either I get Trade and Caravans or just hope my city will be first to build Great Wall. Very often the AI get some important wonders one turn before me, the game is super tricky this way.

I don't ALWAYS impose special rules on myself because I mostly just like to mess around, but sometimes...

in Deus Ex, be stealthy and avoid even non-lethal takedowns but if you MUST take someone down then it MUST be non-lethal. 

In Max Payne 2 on Dead On Arrival mode, go through the whole game without saves (very hard even for me who has played this game religiously for like 10+ years but I know it's doable, I just need to find time to finish it) + bonus points for not taking damage ala the In Love!!! Max Payne speedrunner

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - speed run it since I've already played it dozens of times

Kingdom Hearts 2- completing the game with No magic(including heal) 

Destiny - Shotguns only in Heroic strikes(essentially hard mode and even did this before shotguns were buff in PvE activities by 100% damage increase) 

Super Mario Bros 2(USA) - Toad only #ToadMasterRace

Contra(NES) - no powerups because I've beaten this game too many times in nearly 20 years to begin with :P

World of Warcraft - Doing DPS(Damage per second) as a tank in the stockades dungeon with my Draenei Paladin. I did pissed off a couple of people in the group but we were able to complete it without wiping since the dungeon instance was super short with only 3 bosses :P  

complete morrowind without finding the 'boots of blinding speed'. it's literally a nightmare once you're used to levitating around the map at 500mph on previous saves.. (or you could just try rolling a argonian or khajit for the same experience).

Only thing coming to mind aside from a few Nuzlockes I made for Pokemon is disabling opportunities and x-ray vision in Hitman 2016, game is 100 times better that way.