Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

SSG redesign :P

Just wanted to drop a old work of mine.

It kinda bothers me how both barrels or the SSG can be fired at once, while in real life that really isn't recommendable.

However, instead of going "Hoo ssg unrealistic (;n; )", I took the liberty to redesign it for fun.

So instead of squeezing the trigger, our brave Doomguy has to push the lever to fire off two barrels, reject used shells, and pump in new shells from the mag at the same time. How? Umm... magic gearBAWKS that does it? Mini pocket dimension generators inside? WHO CARES?! Me, nah.

hunnn1.jpg.0db0f60eb9a6869b9ed633f0284a9ea0.jpg

I personally never had a problem with the classic SSG. First, some real-life double-barrel shotguns do allow for shooting both barrels at once (the recoil would be mighty painful, though -- mighty painful). Second, for the game's purposes, the gun doesn't have to be realistic -- it just has to be unique and useful.

If we wanted to talk realism, I'd mention that

1. a gun with 100 12-gauge shells in the magazine would have a RIDICULOUSLY huge magazine.
  2. the plasma gun is a bit less realistic and the BFG far less realistic than the SSG. But don't you dare redesign the hallowed BFG! ;-)
  3. the monsters are far less realistic than any of the guns are.

Speaking of realism... What really bothers me is how the Doom 4 SSG has a double-fire upgrade. How the blazes does one get 4 shells out of a double-barrel gun??

56 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

a gun with 100 12-gauge shells in the magazine would have a RIDICULOUSLY huge magazine.

*chaingun laughs in the background*

*pistol laughs along*

*shotgun chuckles*

*rocket launcher bellows*

I mean, yeah, if it were a modern custom weapon with reloading and everything, I take it it would have to reload after 4 pumps, aka 10 shells.

And yeah, I can imagine every other gun reloading, and thanks to mods, that is possible.

But still, just imagine wielding this one (heck I have it next to my avatar), would most likely function like a lance and a charging horse, with some extra distance :D

14 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

how the Doom 4 SSG has a double-fire upgrade. How the blazes does one get 4 shells out of a double-barrel gun??

Actually now I think about it, it somewhat bugs me. It didn't even change the appearance of SSG.

I guess that's why SSG is forbidden because someone was going to dissect why the gun acted like this, and died to a misfire trigger or something ;)

The SSG redesign should be a Street Sweeper auto-shotgun, and it takes a half-hour to reload when you run out cos it was a stupid design with an internal drum magazine and you had to unload each individual shell in the most inconvenient way possible, then load fresh ones the same way.

That'd be fun.

It looks like the chaingun in Duke Nukem

latest.png.180a0b289ecec409532f86e2b0f42464.png

That looks awful, IMHO. It's not a bad concept, but I'll stick with the original.

Guest Unregistered account
On 2017-5-25 at 4:41 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

Speaking of realism... What really bothers me is how the Doom 4 SSG has a double-fire upgrade. How the blazes does one get 4 shells out of a double-barrel gun??

I just assumed that what the upgrade actually did was double the strength of the SSG, so that firing one barrel did the same amount of damage as two normally - in other words, with this upgrade, you're actually just firing one barrel at a time.

But hey, that's just a theory.

2 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

I just assumed that what the upgrade actually did was double the strength of the SSG, so that firing one barrel did the same amount of damage as two normally - in other words, with this upgrade, you're actually just firing one barrel at a time.

But hey, that's just a theory.

But it's the ammo that does the work. The gun is just a tube to launch the ammo in the right direction. I can't think of any way to modify the gun which causes the ammo to behave differently.

Of course, one of the things I always appreciated about classic Doom is how it doesn't seem to care for realism so much -- just complete the challenges and win the game. So I won't give Doom 4 too rough a time...