Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

Expanding and Modifying Doom

The title aptly explains all.

This is a thread for modifying and expanding Doom (without actually being a mod; of course that could come later)- propose new weapons, monsters, themes, ideas, or edit existing categories. If you have an idea for a unique monster or concept, but you don't have the sprites/coding or mapping skill/willpower to create it, this is the place to jot it down and share it with the community.

I'll start with an example- let's create a simple new concept for a weapon, based on the generic third-person rifle utilized by multiplayer Marines and Zombiemen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machine Gun

Ammo: Clips

Damage: 6-18

Accuracy: High

Rate of Fire: 350 RPM

A standard security-issue UAC sub-machine gun with a carrying handle and a fixed stock. Fires rapidly and is slightly more accurate and powerful than the Pistol owing to its longer barrel.

And just to go with it, a modification of the existing Zombieman:

Former Human Trooper

Health: 30

Attack: One to three inaccurate rapid-fire shots

Speed: Slow

Drop: Machine Gun

A slain UAC security trooper resurrected via demonic energies, serving the will of its demonic masters. Shoots short bursts of pistol bullets from its Machine Gun at any living humans with the intention of killing them and eating their corpse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should lay down a precedent for expansions. Feel free to comment and submit your own.

Except adding any content, be it gameplay, weapons, items, monsters or maps is literally the definition of modding a game. Like, short of adding new maps and/or rebalancing the maps to showcase the new weapons and monsters.

26 minutes ago, ArcheKruz said:

Except adding any content, be it gameplay, weapons, items, monsters or maps is literally the definition of modding a game. Like, short of adding new maps and/or rebalancing the maps to showcase the new weapons and monsters.

This thread exists for the purpose of providing a place for mod ideas- or hell, anything you'd do different in Doom or add to Doom. The original post provides a pair of examples- if, hypothetically, there were no sprites or code for any kind of rifle/machine gun made by the community, these would serve as posts proposing one and editing a monster to fit.

Would have to speed up the ROF for the chaingun to make any difference if to add another rapid fire bullet weapon to the game, in RI's example.

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

Would have to speed up the ROF for the chaingun to make any difference if to add another rapid fire bullet weapon to the game, in RI's example.

Perhaps go the way of the Super Nailgun and have it double up pellets per shot/ammo consumption?

Though the issue with bullets in Doom is that there are too few of them for rapid-fire weapons. You just use up bullets way too fast compared to shells. I'd imagine making the holding capacity 300/600 (with backpack) and making clips/boxes give 20/100 respectively would help alleviate that to some extent.

I'd cut the HP of lost souls in half so they can be killed with one shotgun blast. I was actually getting ready to do this for my own purposes but my hard drive shat the bed.

I've tried lowering lost soul health but I find it just makes the enemy even more harmless than it already is. I do like starting with a chaingun (no pistol) and having slot 4 use a more powerful minigun, as well as adding an 8th pellet to the single barrel's blast. Speeding up rockets is fun as well, they miss to often in large areas as-is!

49 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I've tried lowering lost soul health but I find it just makes the enemy even more harmless than it already is. I do like starting with a chaingun (no pistol) and having slot 4 use a more powerful minigun, as well as adding an 8th pellet to the single barrel's blast. Speeding up rockets is fun as well, they miss to often in large areas as-is!

Starting with a chaingun could be cool- if you slapped an assault rifle skin onto it it'd work great as a starter gun. The only issue depends on whether or not you consider the chaingun an upgrade or downgrade compared to the shotgun- you might get it later, but is automatic fire that eats bullets better than slow fire that conserves shells?

On that subject, more bullets would go great with a Skulltag-style 1050 RPM minigun as the Slot 4 weapon. I do like the idea of the shotty using an 8th pellet in its blast, though I think that'd best go hand in hand with making the shotgun's fire into a cone instead of a flat plane.

Based purely on DPS the chaingun is superior, but due to it eating through ammo and not having the effective burst that the SG has, I'd say they're about equal but play to different strengths. I actually did just as you said in Revenge of the 90s and reskinned it as an assault rifle and it balanced out quite well. Also, like you said, an 8 pellet cone spread for the shotty is very satisfying - Eon Weapons basically does this and I love it.

Edited by Doomkid

I made a post about this before, lemme fetch it.

Ahh, here is it. Found it!

Most of these can be used to modify Doom or serve as a inspiration. I like the magic microgun idea, I might actually learn how to make weapons just for that!

Ohh and the Poke-turrets! I'll like to cash in on those ideas (altough I dunno "how to" about the turrets, so I might lend someone the idea).

Rest is for you guys.

I'd say that making the pistol , melee and chaingun more viable would work well. The fire rate of the chaingun is fine, it could use a power boost tho, splitting pistol and rifle bullets would also work in addition to adding a choice of either Rifle or SMG. as an additional weapon. More weapon variety would be nice, another weapon that uses rocket ammo or plasma ammo would be great. And I do think that the BFG could get away with having its own ammo pool, which would bring back the usability of the plasma gun once it has been acquired.