Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheV1perK1ller

Using GZDoom for recording demos

Hi all, I have recently started uploading demo files to the DSDA, and I was wondering how I would go about recording runs for (G)ZDoom-specific WADs (zpack.pk3, for example). Is there anything I need to know that works differently with a zdoom.exe as opposed to a prboom+ one? i.e. Does the command line have to retain the '-complevel' command? Does the compatibility setting in-game have to be changed to be acceptable for the DSDA (default, boom strict, doom strict, mbf, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There isn't a complevel paramter, although you can set config settings on the command line if you want to.  My general rule of thumb is to use the default settings unless more specific suggestions are given by the author.  Don't use jump/crouch/vertical looking unless they're intended, etc.  An example of a setting you might need to change would be if the wad is intended for infinite monster height.

Complevels are no longer a thing. If your wad is ZDoom compatible, then you should use ZDoom 2.8.1 instead of GZDoom if you don't mind, because ZDoom is final and won't have constant updates forcing people to download lots of past versions to view that demo. If you're going to use GZDoom it makes sense to avoid skipping from version to version whenever possible. DSDA is an archive, so acceptability doesn't have much to do with compatibility settings. In GZDoom, you should stay true if possible to the wad's text file when thinking about whether you can use freelook, crouching, no inf. height, Brutal Doom realism mode, pony mods, or whatever else.

16 minutes ago, kraflab said:

There isn't a complevel paramter, although you can set config settings on the command line if you want to.  My general rule of thumb is to use the default settings unless more specific suggestions are given by the author.  Don't use jump/crouch/vertical looking unless they're intended, etc.  An example of a setting you might need to change would be if the wad is intended for infinite monster height.

ZPack requires use of jumping and crouching in some of its maps, but since I'm a keyboard-only player, free look is out of the question. I always try to follow the authors intended method of playing their WAD(s). So using the 'Default' compatibility in-game is fine with recording ZDoom demos? Sorry, just making sure.

21 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Complevels are no longer a thing. If your wad is ZDoom compatible, then you should use ZDoom 2.8.1 instead of GZDoom if you don't mind, because ZDoom is final and won't have constant updates forcing people to download lots of past versions to view that demo. If you're going to use GZDoom it makes sense to avoid skipping from version to version whenever possible. DSDA is an archive, so acceptability doesn't have much to do with compatibility settings. In GZDoom, you should stay true if possible to the wad's text file when thinking about whether you can use freelook, crouching, no inf. height, Brutal Doom realism mode, pony mods, or whatever else.

Thanks, I always try to play WADs the way they should be played (I can't stand Brutal Doom, tbh). But I'll definitely get the latest version of ZDoom and stick with it, unless stated otherwise. Thanks for your help.

Yep, I always use default unless something else is specified.  As far as version I agree with using the latest zdoom when possible.

12 hours ago, rdwpa said:

If your wad is ZDoom compatible, then you should use ZDoom 2.8.1 instead of GZDoom if you don't mind, because ZDoom is final and won't have constant updates forcing people to download lots of past versions to view that demo.

I know we joked about finally having a ZDoom standard, but in reality I wouldn't recommend this as the general solution, tbh. It's only a crutch and you get stuck with a rapidly aging port that may or may not be compatible with newer mods inteded for the same platform. Things could start sneakily breaking on you, etc.

The preferred way remains record in whatever, dump it on DSDA with version info, so you've got the historic anchor... and put the run on youtube so people can actually watch it without bending over backwards, heh.

The important thing with any demo is just to be clear what you did by writing it in the text file.  For instance if you think a wad should have a more vanilla style (eg infinite height or wall runs) and you want to use doom compatibility, just make a note of what you used there.  There aren't a lot of demos for gzdoom wads, so that kind of decision is probably up to your own judgement.