Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucky_Bonehead_Ducky

What engine can I use to make a game similar to Classic Doom

Ok, so first of all, hello! I'm new to this site, and I hope to have a good time here with you all.

As you can guess, I'm trying to make a game similar to doom. However, I'm hoping for there to be plenty of twists to my game, such as heavy RPG elements (quest systems, party mechanics, and so on). I guess it would be more fair to compare my game to Hexen/Heritic, but you know. 

I don't want this to be a simple mod, I'm trying to make a legitimate game here. This game will have my own original monsters and demons, but have cutscenes, dialogue boxes and what not.

Now, I'm going to need an engine to at least emulate the Doom engine, and so far I'm thinking that Unity is my only option. I'm reluctant to use Unity though, because I've heard that its hard to get sprites into unity (although, if I run out of options I'll have to use it). I already have various programs to make sprites (and while I have no sprites done for this game, I do have some from my other games if you want to see :D), so really all I need to know is what engine I can use to make this a reality.

When Graf Zahl's finally made GZDoom fully GPL (if he hasn't already), I'm pretty sure that can do the things you want. And still is a legitimate engine that entire games can be made with (see also: Adventures of Square, etc). ;)

3 hours ago, Lucky_Bonehead_Ducky said:

.... plenty of twists to my game, such as heavy RPG elements (quest systems, party mechanics, and so on). I guess it would be more fair to compare my game to Hexen/Heritic, but you know.

..... This game will have my own original monsters and demons, but have cutscenes, dialogue boxes and what not.

As JXT said, GZDooM is a powerful engine that allows a great deal of customization. Also consider 3DGE, which is another powerful engine for DooM-type game development.

On 5/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, Jayextee said:

When Graf Zahl's finally made GZDoom fully GPL (if he hasn't already), I'm pretty sure that can do the things you want. And still is a legitimate engine that entire games can be made with (see also: Adventures of Square, etc). ;)

On 5/29/2017 at 8:50 PM, ReX said:

As JXT said, GZDooM is a powerful engine that allows a great deal of customization. Also consider 3DGE, which is another powerful engine for DooM-type game development.

Thanks! I'll look into both of these. So far GZDooM seems like its going to be very useful for me (but I have 3DGE bookmarked as well).

3DGE is also great (hell, I made a game; the upcoming SLaVE; with it) but the quest systems and party mechanics you mention might be better-suited to GZDoom as I mention.

On 5/29/2017 at 4:03 PM, Lucky_Bonehead_Ducky said:

Ok, so first of all, hello! I'm new to this site, and I hope to have a good time here with you all.

As you can guess, I'm trying to make a game similar to doom. However, I'm hoping for there to be plenty of twists to my game, such as heavy RPG elements (quest systems, party mechanics, and so on). I guess it would be more fair to compare my game to Hexen/Heritic, but you know. 

I don't want this to be a simple mod, I'm trying to make a legitimate game here. This game will have my own original monsters and demons, but have cutscenes, dialogue boxes and what not.

Now, I'm going to need an engine to at least emulate the Doom engine, and so far I'm thinking that Unity is my only option. I'm reluctant to use Unity though, because I've heard that its hard to get sprites into unity (although, if I run out of options I'll have to use it). I already have various programs to make sprites (and while I have no sprites done for this game, I do have some from my other games if you want to see :D), so really all I need to know is what engine I can use to make this a reality.

Just a question really. How much experience have you got in working with game development? I've dabbled in engines such as Unity and Unreal in my free time and it takes dedication and time to be able to succeed. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, and I really want you to succeed in the project you are developing, but are you prepared for this undertaking? If so, good luck, and stay strong man. :)