Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_75

Complete noob, I need help in finding the right mod I know kind want too.

Steam games:

Ultimate Doom

DOOM II

Master Levels for Doom II

Final DOOM

So basically I want modern controls and improved graphics and hoping monsters without looking pixelated, but that would probably would be a very extensive mod with new 3D models but I'm hoping.

The last game I modded all I needed to do is dl'ed a exe file to my desktop and double click on it and it self installed, is it going to like this again ?

So how does it work do I install all three mods to the one game or is it one mod per one game at a time ?

Edited by Doom_75

You can run any of these with GLBoom+ or (G)ZDoom, or Zandronum and whatnot. Check out the sourceports subforum of this site and choose your port. Shoud be easy enough to set up. Note that most of these ports also allow for mouselook and such.

So are these the best ones without changing the game to much beyond it's original ? I pretty much want modern controls with nice graphics.

So how does it work do I install all three mods to the one game or is it one mod per one game at a time ?

If you like mods, probably should go for GZDoom.

Download GZDoom, newest version is 3.0.

Go to the steam directory, search and you'll find Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad and TNT.wad. Copy and paste them into your GZDoom directory.

Run GZDoom, and a wad select screen will be up.

Master Levels are a little bit on the annoying side because each map is one wad file, you may need to use them separately. However, there's a Master Level UI allows easier access particularly for (G)ZDoom.

These are source ports. You basically run the game with these. Install them, it will ask you where do you keep your iwads (aka doom.wad, doom2.wad etc.), you point it to the proper folder. Source ports don't change much from the basic, it is up to you to determine the resolution and graphics quality AND input (simple actually, and the customization range is pretty wide)

Keep in mind a source port alone won't cut it, but I bet you can find a lot of high texture quality mods browsing the internets.

Also keep in mind that without a source port you cannot play Doom or any mods (unless total conversion peojects include their own), so make sure you get GZdoom or Zdoom or Zandronum or if you really want to, Boom and associated source ports (I myself work with the first three, however, you may find people who find my choices to be dumber than a brick, so try out all the flavors and see what makes it up for you)

19 minutes ago, Doom_75 said:

So are these the best ones without changing the game to much beyond it's original ? I pretty much want modern controls with nice graphics.

Those aren't mods, those are sourceports you can run mods with. Most of the sourceports already have vastly improved graphics options, mouselook and whatnot. If you want to add mods, there's tutorials on YouTube for that.

But all these mods do I install all three mods to the one game or is it one mod per one game at a time ? Also do all these mods work with all the Doom games I mentioned ?

6 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Those aren't mods, those are sourceports you can run mods with. Most of the sourceports already have vastly improved graphics options, mouselook and whatnot. If you want to add mods, there's tutorials on YouTube for that.

Okay so I got the original game but I use sourceports so that's what their called example GZdoom is a sourceport.

So if GZdoom is called a sourceport then whats the diff between a sourceport and mod when it comes to Doom ? Also someone this question too: Do I install only one sourceport  per game ? so for example would it be normal for users to install two sourceports for one game ? Thanks

1 minute ago, Doom_75 said:

But all these mods do I install all three mods to the one game or is it one mod per one game at a time ? Also do all these mods work with all the Doom games I mentioned ?

Source ports =/= mods

You pick a source port, like GZDoom. You do what the readme says. Then you download an actual mod, like smooth-doom, and run it alongside the classic game, and then you have it modded.

I guess at the beginning you don't have to get into the depths what's the difference between two sourceports. It's normal for have more than one sourceports because gameplay may have very minor difference, and some MODs can be only run by some particular sourceports. GZDoom is very universal, and it almost supports everything, so it's good start.

Okay I'll start with GZDoom which kinda sounds like the most popular one. Now running the game with GZDoom will give me modern controls and a decent graphic enhancements, okay good. But if I want to further improve it then that's when mods come into play.

Okay so if I run GZDoom will it work with all the these games or do I have to install GZDoom separately for each game ?

Ultimate Doom

DOOM II

Master Levels for Doom II

Final DOOM

Almost their people thanks a lot don't give up on me yet.

Had you done what I told you, namely do what the readme (of GZDoom) says, you wouldn't be asking this question.

You put all these .WADs in the GZDoom folder. You run GZDoom.exe, choose the WAD you want to play, and you're good to go.

So has anybody/group made a mod where it replaces the enemy monsters with all new 3D models yet ? Yes I've seen GZDoom in action on YouTube and the graphics look better but still the same models, I know I'm asking maybe much but I wanted to ask anyway thanks.

2 minutes ago, Doom_75 said:

So has anybody/group made a mod where it replaces the enemy monsters with all new 3D models yet ?

Afaik no 3d enemy models for classic doom.

GZDoom is a program. It runs various games.

Take your doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad and plutonia.wad and put it alongside the program. Run gzdoom. You will be greeted with a game selection screen. Select your game and the program will run it.

You don't need to keep several copies of the program for each game. Just one copy and put all your games and mods alongside the program.

You want graphical improvement? Doom is a pixelated game, but mods come in handy here.

For starters, the animations in Doom are kinda choppy. Download the mod called "Smooth Doom".
Extract the ZIP file, and you'll also find a WAD file. Put this file alongside GZDoom. Now drag-and-drop this WAD file over gzdoom.exe. Select your game, and you'll notice the animations will look much more smoother than before. You have successfully loaded up a mod.

Just enjoy, and you'll learn many things about Doom in the process.

Edit: 3D models don't work very well in a game like Doom. But if you're interested in it, there is another program called Risen3D, which uses 3D models for enemies. The disadvantage of using this is that you won't be able to use a lot of mods and has bugs.

And everybody. Go easy with Doom jargon.

Edit2: The Master Levels are a bunch of WADs and is tiresome to load up. The best thing to do is merge them all into 1 WAD, like I did. You probably won't like the process of managing WADs yet, as I used an obscure program to do so.

Edited by Voros

40 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

These are source ports. You basically run the game with these. Install them, it will ask you where do you keep your iwads (aka doom.wad, doom2.wad etc.), you point it to the proper folder.

Self quoting sounds so pretentious.

A single source port can work for EVERY game you have mentioned here, not to mention spin offs like Hexen or Strife.

Have a look at this:

A .iwad file is what makes Doom Doom, it is Wheres All Data.

Source port is like a executable, you click on it to play. In the old days when they bought Doom, they installed it and were good to go.

Source port works for pretty much every .iwad you have, you just find all the .iwads, bring them to a single folder, install the prefered source port, and look out when it asks where would it go look for your "games" (iwads), and you point them to the folder you placed it. So next time it starts up it will ask what game would you like to play, like Ultimate Doom or whatever you have.

Mods don't count as games. You won't be able to just start up a game from the source port and have it going (unless you make a shortcut), so you will often have to drag-n-drop mods you downloaded of the net (usually ending with a .wad or .pk3, some come zipped, so you only have to unload them) onto the source port, pick the game you want to use it with, and in best case it will run smooth like drifting in butter. If they don't work, read the readme again and determine whenever you screwed up or the modder (98% chance its you, but still, check :D).

Also consider this analogy:

Ultimate Doom is a electric guitar. Gzdoom is a amplifier. To get shreddin' you have to plug the guitar to the amplifier. But you can also plug in bass (Doom 2) into the amplifier (Gzdoom) as well later on.

Different games do not require same copies of the same source port (unless you are really cheeky, so to use diffrent fridges for eggs and milk each), you don't "install" them into your games. Just find all the .iwads from your Steam library and put them in a single folder. Rest is explained.

Go easy with jargon, people :P he just wants to play.

Edit:
Since we're on the subject of running Doom on modern machines, there's a thread right here that explains how to do so. Why do people not read that? Maybe it's because it severely outdated? Or maybe it's not noticeable?

That thread needs to updated. Who even calls Doomsday "JDoom" anymore?

Edited by Voros

To anyone interested in using mods and source ports for Doom, I cannot begin to recommend a program called ZDL enough. It makes running and managing mods, maps, and source ports a lot easier. 

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Master Levels are a little bit on the annoying side because each map is one wad file, you may need to use them separately. However, there's a Master Level UI allows easier access particularly for (G)ZDoom.

If he uses Eternity, Master Levels is supported directly from the episodes menu.

(Eternity also is more vanilla Doom compat than GZDoom and thus might better suit his request.)

2 hours ago, Doom_75 said:

So has anybody/group made a mod where it replaces the enemy monsters with all new 3D models yet ?

Yes; like Voros said, there are model packs available for the Risen3D source port (although this port is not as good as GZDoom and such, IMHO):  http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

Here are some screenshots of the different model versions, if you're interested (personally, I find most of the 3D models to be pretty goofy):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nlqkk2iaflyjveh/AAD1p42-oAQd1t0Fagtqs1jra?dl=0

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

If he uses Eternity, Master Levels is supported directly from the episodes menu.

(Eternity also is more vanilla Doom compat than GZDoom and thus might better suit his request.)

Okay to be clear before I start anything GZDoom works with all the games except Master Levels or it may work but maybe beyond my comprehension, so make it easy on me and use the sourceport "Eternity" for the "Master Levels game" then ?

Thanks guys you've been so great.

GZDoom will load the Master Levels, but it lacks any sort of automatic handling of it. The Master Levels are unique in that it's actually a collection of different maps all in random, sometimes conflicting map slots, as they were intended to be run with a launcher individually. So while GZDoom can load them, it lacks a proper method of organizing them. Eternity however has a built in organizer for them (added as an extra episode selection) doubled with its ability to load mapsets on the fly.

For reference, a list of active source ports and their functionality can be found here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports

Edited by Edward850

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52757

This tool can make all id IWADs, Master Levels and even No Rest for the Living PWADs packs into a single PK3 file, for those ports supported PK3 archives.

(But I'm not sure if OP want to go through other program just for better Master Levels supports...and the tool may still has bugs.)

EDIT: There also other tool(Scroll down to "Unofficial Master Levels for Doom 2 Patch") for making Master Levels into a single Episode.

Edited by Player Lin

8 hours ago, Doom_75 said:

If you're looking for 3D models in Doom, there are the Doomsday and Risen3D source ports. While the updated assets aren't strictly included in the base download, they're readily available on both websites. These are great if you're not looking much into custom mapsets and gameplay mods thrown around here and just want to play the official stuff with high-quality reskins of everything. Here's a video showcasing both of them on MAP07: Dead Simple.

GZDoom's good as a matter of convenience, since it plays virtually anything the community here (or there) makes, but I would recommend the above if the goal is simply to upgrade the original experience. If you're planning on making Doom a long-time hobby... well, you can adjust your setup as necessary when you get there.

EDIT: And it would be rude of me not to at least mention 3DGE, which also contains model support. Only reason I didn't think of it immediately is because I don't know where such models are readily available. You can browse through some of the mods here.

Edited by CapnClever

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

GZDoom will load the Master Levels, but it lacks any sort of automatic handling of it. The Master Levels are unique in that it's actually a collection of different maps all in random, sometimes conflicting map slots, as they were intended to be run with a launcher individually. So while GZDoom can load them, it lacks a proper method of organizing them. Eternity however has a built in organizer for them (added as an extra episode selection) doubled with its ability to load mapsets on the fly.

For reference, a list of active source ports and their functionality can be found here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports

Well I'd prefer to play Master Levels in order like they were originally, so I'll just use Eternity for that game. I'll also test the other games with Eternity too it would be nice to use the same sourceport for all the games, but I'll see maybe GZDoom has better options or effects so I'll try both.

8 minutes ago, Doom_75 said:

Well I'd prefer to play Master Levels in order like they were originally, so I'll just use Eternity for that game. I'll also test the other games with Eternity too it would be nice to use the same sourceport for all the games, but I'll see maybe GZDoom has better options or effects so I'll try both.

I think there's no actual order for the Master Levels since they mostly don't have relationship among each other, at least as far as my knowledge goes. If you must do so, there's a PSN release, which may be reference of order. By the authors, Dr Sleep's 5 maps may have an order since the "story" is "consistent". Cranium's maps may have an order, but you have to imply by yourself. Others probably don't matter anything.

So is the "No rest for the living" a console exclusive ? was hoping to play it with GZDoom also.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:41 AM, GarrettChan said:

If you like mods, probably should go for GZDoom.

Download GZDoom, newest version is 3.0.

Go to the steam directory, search and you'll find Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad and TNT.wad. Copy and paste them into your GZDoom directory.

Run GZDoom, and a wad select screen will be up.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/utils/frontends/zdmlmenu

Someone created a ZDoom frontend for Master Levels:

The Master Levels Menu Interface is an ingame menu that serves to replace the old DOS program that would launch the chosen wad of the MASTER LEVELS FOR DOOM II. The Master Levels themselves ARE NOT INCLUDED in this package (they are a commercial release by id Software and must be purchased separately.)

Effectively, this file serves as a new frontend for the MASTER LEVELS, allowing you to play them in one sitting without restarting ZDoom. It also gives you a few extra options (keeping inventory between levels, varying the music so more than half the levels aren't playing D_RUNNIN, ...)

Detailed instructions for using this file are recorded below the upload template. Likewise, the PK3 itself contains an INSTRUCTIONS.txt file which is a duplicate of the same information. If you are not familiar with PK3's, it's just a Zip file and you can open it with any standarding archival tool that supports such (or rename it to ZDMLMENU.zip in Windows to browse it in Explorer.)

The scripts use to drive the menu system are in MenuLevelScripts.txt in the PK3, if you wish to use or study that as a basis for your own.

MasterLevelsLibrary.txt is the source script for the script library used in the menu interface (it is only tangentlly related to the menu scripting. It is mainly used for recording the player's progress which is why it is a script library and not level scripts.