Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bardcat

Laz Rojas

Just, wow. Sorry if this is not news to any of you, or has been discussed before,  but I was blown away by this revelation. I've know about Laz's video work for years, but it never really *clicked* until I saw this short Vice documentary on him. This is the person behind the original Wolfendoom series. 

Previous thread where Laz Rojas himself commented on some of this:

Probably read his post there before jumping to any unfounded assumptions.

Blackface is not like drag. Blackface has been used by white people for two hundred years to humiliate, vilify, and spread lies about black people. No one should ever put on blackface for any reason. It cannot be disassociated from minstrel shows.

Who cares about the past? What matters is why Laz Rojas used it in this particular case.

Yea, there's a lot to unpack here for sure. In the thread fraggle linked, Laz comes off as definitely homophobic and maybe transphobic. The blackface is seriously weird, and it's hard to understand what he was thinking, but it's indefensible in any context. 

Idk, I was just fascinated by this story, and his absolute dedication to those tapes. Discovering that he made one of my favorite Doom mods EVER, I thought was pretty cool! 

I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on him based solely on his use of black face. He needed a black character in his movie in which he played everyone, and being a committed artist, he played that character. And about his allegedly homophobic views, he came across to me in that post as respectful enough to keep those to himself, only revealing them because of the slander that was going on in that old thread there. And whether you agree with him or not, just put yourself in his shoes. How would you like is someone accused you of being something you not only weren't, but also didn't approve of? Granted, I don't really agree with his views, I can completely understand the sentiment.

He was slandered here once in the past to the point where he had to come here and explain himself. Please, don't make him do that again.

1 hour ago, Woolie Wool said:

Blackface is not like drag. Blackface has been used by white people for two hundred years to humiliate, vilify, and spread lies about black people. No one should ever put on blackface for any reason. It cannot be disassociated from minstrel shows.

He specifically addresses that in the video with an interesting argument, but yeah, let's burn it all to the ground because we're woke af in tyool 2017.

Why does it seem like somebody drags this up and tries to make a spectacle out of it every couple of years? Nobody gives a fuck.

Agreed. Just last year there was someone who registered with the sole purpose of dredging this stuff up in one of the most toxic and sociopathic threads I'd ever seen. Let sleeping dogs lie.