Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.2 now GZDoom compatible)

I have to admit, this mod does look like something I'd want to try. If you managed to come up with fluent gameplay while also delivering a very interesting art-style, this would be something I'd enjoy lots. Unfortunately, the next month is going to be rather busy for me, so I can't playtest this extensively. But this is something I am looking forward to for sure.

Omg SOTW wrung more fun out of Wolf3D restrictions than I ever thought was possible. The art style and tone were a huge inspiration to me, too. Very excited for this! Taking RoTT as a starting point for the sequel is a masterstroke.

Shadow of the Wool Ball was fucking awesome, so this.... you've made my day here. <3

On 31/05/2017 at 0:46 AM, MSPaintR0cks said:

I tried to expand on everything that you guys and gals liked about the first game (thanks so much for all those comments by the way, I never felt so motivated to work on something :D), while removing things I found annoying in Rise Of The Triad.

What could you possibly find annoying in RoTT?

when is it gonna be doooooooooooooooooooooone

i'm about to frickin cry i can't wait for this masterpiece any longer ;~;

Oh wow, fantastic.

I enjoyed SotW and loved how it managed to breathe life into the Wolf3D formula (I never really could get into any other wolf3d-style games, but SotW was awesome.) Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this one. Are there going to be floating platforms like in RotT?

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I wasn't aware of the original until tonight, and had a lot of fun playing it through - Real cute and charming, and the third act pulled some great tricks (I loved its secret level the most). Very excited to see how you play with Rise of the Triad's formula.

Aw man, I hope I can fulfill these expectations ^^"

I am pretty certain that I will release version 1.1 of the game tomorrow.
My testers did a great job at finding all kinds of little quirks and bugs (a few of them are not fully finished with it, but they are still doing an awesome job at finding stuff), and I feel a little more comfortable with releasing it.

On 7.6.2017 at 2:08 AM, Untamed64 said:

What could you possibly find annoying in RoTT?

Monks. In tight corridors. With floor traps everywhere.

Also... maps like Rocky Plataeu. :x

Aside from that, Rott is one of my favorite FPS games. :3

Sooo... just released v1.1. :D

Smaller changes may still come in later versions.

You won`t believe how nervous I am about this release... I hope I can do these expectations justice.^^"

Well, at least I hope I can sweeten your weekend a little with this.

Click here! v1.1

The game runs with a standalone executable this time, for... well, technical reasons. Just launch the ROTWB.exe and you should be fine.

Alsooo, on a side note...

donate4_zps8yfbdap3.gif

If you enjoyed my work so far and want to help a wannabe game developer (me) survive while he is working on his next projects, feel free to donate a tinyyyy amount to my PayPal. Oh that would so make my day. ^^"

Edited by MSPaintR0cks

This is nice. I was waiting for this after I played the first one.

Spoiler

Ox53qSd.png

Something with the cloud tiling. Also, is that a UFO in the sky?

AnxKsR1.png

The apostrophe seems to be missing from the story texts? I've seen some examples of "its" (where it's inappropriate) and "thats".

I once ran out of bullets when firing the chaingun, and it switched to the berserk sneaker, even though I had shells. Something with the weapons order?

Brilliant game. The predecessor's style that I already really liked, combined with a highly refreshing "engine upgrade" as well as plenty of various new ideas and stuff, left me maximally impressed. If I didn't play Shadow of Wool Ball first, I'd probably be inclined to gripe about arbitrary limitations again, but let's leave that aside. Just like Rise of the Triad, this does feel imaginative + well-executed a lot despite apparent limits, and that's great even if one doesn't look at this game as a nostalgic emulation of ROTT.

Also lmao at the word

Spoiler

hedgelord

:)

I noticed a slight oversight in the key settings: the F1 help menu says +Use is bound to E, but by default the E key is not bound to anything in the provided ini file.

While we're at it, there are also only 4 weapon slots in the menu. And the mouse settings still contain mouselook, even though it doesn't work, dunno if this can be fixed.

One more oddity: when I exited E2M1 the hero stayed in the dark corridor, running around.

Finished it. I thought it was great. Very easy on medium (I should've chosen hard after my experience with the first game) and ammunition is everywhere, but charming and very polished otherwise. Secret levels are once again creative and worth searching for.

Will there be another sequel?

Spoiler

Spikes are missing in the corner.

bNb9Py2.png

I just realized that I should've also made a shot of the automap. Well, it's a place with wall shrooms - not a lot of those in the game.

Lava and fast water are giving the "spiked" message - hardly important, but still. On the pirate level - I think the water is rising too high, though it's not very noticeable since it's untextured from the sides. Not sure if intentional.

Several trees and other obstacles are much shorter than they look - easy to notice when jumping around on shrooms.

These crushers have a very limited damage area. I think it's pretty much only the perimeter?

BgXHvhZ.png

Maybe the final arena should be taller? The boss gets cut off when you jump. Not sure how it's gonna look in GZDoom with its sprite handling either (didn't test, probably should've).

kKLOHr6.png

The third secret level is weird. It's the only level that I was unable to max - because there's an inaccessible test room of sorts with a bunch of enemies you can't kill.

One annoying thing is that the game doesn't autosave at the start of every level... so if you forget to save, you may find yourself set way back by dying.