Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Bloods 20th Anniversary

Recommended Posts

Thats right, today marks the 20th anniversary to one of the all time classics, a toast to Caleb the magnificent bastard.

tumblr_static_caleb.png

Edited by vinnie245

Share this post


Link to post

Besides some strange bugs and AI issues, Blood is a gem. Hopefully one day we see a source code release and a revival of the series.

Share this post


Link to post

if you wanna play Blood on something other than DOSBox, BloodGDX is this new reversed engineered port that's really good

Share this post


Link to post

Still the best game on the BUILD engine lineup, besides Duke Nukem 3D of course.

Only thing is I wish GDXBlood didn't require Java since it's considered a huge security risk, but I'll give the author more time to develop it further or fork off before I give it a shot, so many other games in the meantime to tend to.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Only thing is I wish GDXBlood didn't require Java since it's considered a huge security risk, but I'll give the author more time to develop it further or fork off before I give it a shot, so many other games in the meantime to tend to.

My only concern as well, I would have preferred if the required Java libraries were bundled as a standalone package that only BloodGDX has access too, something Minecraft on PC does.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Besides some strange bugs and AI issues, Blood is a gem. Hopefully one day we see a source code release and a revival of the series.

 

People have been trying for years to get Atari to release the source code.  

 

Lawyers ruin everything, I swear...

Share this post


Link to post

They know they have something good even though they don't want to do anything with it. They're pretty much just straight up bullies at this point.

Share this post


Link to post

20 years and no source code, fuck Atari, still i'm glad BloodGDX exists, better than having to withstand the godawful framerate on DosBox.

Share this post


Link to post

Atari is still butthurt about E.T. and this how they're coping with it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I once joked they're still angry that Blood II wasn't successful in continuing the series (even though as GT they shoved that game out the door and Monolith got nothing for it).

Share this post


Link to post

I don't understand why, in this day and age, where the endless support and love of the fan community is so painfully obvious, that there's still this massive wall between the corporate end of things, and the loyal consumers that are directly responsible for the product's success.

Share this post


Link to post

Because if they can't find a price for something, they would prefer to withhold it. If they believed there was any profit in releasing the source code for Blood, they would have done so already.

Share this post


Link to post

IIRC Devolver was going to buy the IP, but backed out after saying Atari's price was absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

IIRC Devolver was going to buy the IP, but backed out after saying Atari's price was absurd.

I honestly wonder how absurd it is.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

I feel like I saw something about 1mil a while back when it was in the works. Could be mistaken.

 

No way is Blood worth 1 mil.  It has to be less than that, given its age.

Share this post


Link to post

What does Atari gain by withholding it? The game is so old that it would be moot. They're not making any moolah off the IP at this point...

Edited by GoatLord

Share this post


Link to post

Well they are selling the game on Steam, but they would benefit a whole lot by releasing the source code as people would be more likely to buy the game.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Master O said:

 

No way is Blood worth 1 mil.  It has to be less than that, given its age.

I don't think age matters so much with this ip. It's been in limbo for years with knowing who owns what since monolith was sold/disbanded. I'll do a looksy in the a.m. though I feel like I'm at least close to the right number here. Maybe not 1mil but it was something ridiculous enough to make me remember a number that high.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, this is getting off topic but Nintendo can be real dicks about their IPs. There's a guy on YT named Fred who painstakingly animates a StarFox cartoon that has been in the works this entire decade. Rather than do something sensible, like directly support him, which would fulfill his dream and make lots of moolah for the franchise, Nintendo dropped in to force a name change (which is why it's called "A Fox in Space") and has since utterly ignored Fred's efforts which is probably the single most beautiful fan effort I've ever seen for the series. It's deeply saddening.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Yeah, this is getting off topic but Nintendo can be real dicks about their IPs. There's a guy on YT named Fred who painstakingly animates a StarFox cartoon that has been in the works this entire decade. Rather than do something sensible, like directly support him, which would fulfill his dream and make lots of moolah for the franchise, Nintendo dropped in to force a name change (which is why it's called "A Fox in Space") and has since utterly ignored Fred's efforts which is probably the single most beautiful fan effort I've ever seen for the series. It's deeply saddening.

 

Yeah, I really hate the way Nintendo treat people who take even the most casual of creative liberties with their IPs. Many of the situations are just lose/lose for all parties. They also seem a little hypocritical with their extremely hardline stance against ROM downloads, even though their virtual console release of Super Mario Bros is a .nes file they downloaded online. Their policies just make things harder on everyone, including themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ajora said:

 

Yeah, I really hate the way Nintendo treat people who take even the most casual of creative liberties with their IPs. Many of the situations are just lose/lose for all parties. They also seem a little hypocritical with their extremely hardline stance against ROM downloads, even though their virtual console release of Super Mario Bros is a .nes file they downloaded online. Their policies just make things harder on everyone, including themselves. 

 

And as a result, people will continue pirating just to stick it to corporations like them.  It's Nintendo's loss for being so hard headed.

Share this post


Link to post

 

 

Here is the tweet, I knew I saw it mentioned by them somewhere. They went after it shortly after the success of the Shadow Warrior reboot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Too expensive? I wonder if somehow a Kickstarter type of thing could be arranged so that fans could donate whatever is needed to make this happen...

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly I would rather it be made by developers other than those of the SW reboot.

Share this post


Link to post

I absolutely love Blood, however it is an extremely underrated and very lesser known than Duke3D and Shadow Warrior (even before the reboot) so I don't see a kickstarter or crowdfunding to get the IP getting close at all.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×