Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Recycled Community Project (RC available)

Warped Elementality's refit is well underway.

It's largely the same still as the version I had in Freedoom Phase 2 0.11 as MAP27. The main changes are and will be -

* (TODO) Completely overhauling the Things placement from ground up (as a severely not fun difficulty balance was a major issue and contributed to the map being nixed from future release Freedoom by the MAP21-MAP30 coordinator and therefore moving to this project)

* (Done) A few textures are not in Doom2.WAD but were in Freedoom, I've replaced these with suitable Doom2.WAD textures that fit the theme of the wings in question. This includes the liquid in the Water wing being made green (it is still non damaging) as Freedoom included waterfall textures but Doom2.WAD only has green and red liquids to pick from and green better fits the Water element than blood (the theme of Warped Elementality is the four classical elements, each of which comprises a mini level "wing" connected to the others via teleports, with an open air marble finale that basically represents Aether/Spirit).

* (Done) Most of the corridors in the first (Earth) wing have been widened, as it was felt that this area was too cramped.

* (Done) Reduced the damage of lava from 20% to 10%.

* (Done) Ensured that all map mechanics are functional in PrBoom 2.5.1.4 on Windows, and that the player cannot physically get stuck.

Kinda an odd little question:

What is the difference between doom in zdoom format vs boom from an editing standpoint? is there any difference or is it mostly for compatibility reasons?

11 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

What is the difference between doom in zdoom format vs boom from an editing standpoint? is there any difference or is it mostly for compatibility reasons?

Different formats allow for different "actions" in a doom map, among other things. Some ports can't run ZDoom formats, for example, others don't handle some boom actions properly. But either way, for this project here, the format of choice is boom, hence testing your map in PrBoom+ is highly recommended.

Worth noting that Doom in ZDoom doesn't really add all that much in terms of actions, though - might not add any at all. Doom in ZDoom is more for the sake of the various things ZDoom adds, and I imagine map editors will ignore stuff like Decorate in non-ZDoom formats.

I'd like to have a go at remaking my old map Fragmentation, only as a singleplayer map rather than the Deathmatch map that it originally was. This will necessarily involve a LOT of expansion, since the old map is rather smallish. The only thing I will not be able to re-add is the music, since it is in MUS format, and I don't have access to the original MIDI from eighteen years ago anymore.

Since I was already in the middle of doing an overhaul of Fragmentation for GZDOOM, I thought I'd do a copy-paste of the map I had in order to put the thing into Boom format. The name I'm currently using for this map is Fragments Of Darkness.

This is what it looks like so far...

yNmOGez.png

I expanded the original rooms a bit in order to provide more room to maneuver, as well as adding more features such as some new rooms (including a new start room), a pillar with a soulsphere on it, and an assortment of weapons on the lifts laid out in Dead Simple style. You're going to need those weapons when the new rooms in question open up.

And this is a glimpse of what the map looks like so far in 3D.

S2LzM7d.png

Using Boom again was a pretty interesting experience, as I had to disable mouse move in order to get to something resembling the control scheme I'm used to from GZDOOM. Unfortunately, I don't yet know how to do screenshots of Boom in action (Print Screen just sends useless black images to Dropbox) otherwise, I would have shown you some of the stuff that I've done so far, such as what happens when you bring the pillar down and collect that soulsphere. The demonic teleport pad in the uppermost room currently does nothing because there is no area to teleport to yet.

Edited by Dravencour

4 minutes ago, Dravencour said:

I don't yet know how to do screenshots of Boom in action

it has an ingame keybind that takes pictures as .bmp. You can just edit those pictures by way of saving them as jpeg later. The screenies will be located in your PrBoom+ folder, and they'll be called "doom1, doom2", and so on. When you take a screenie in PrBoom+ it will play a "ring-tone" to notify you that you've taken a screenshot.

The screenies you made from inside the builder look promising. Lots of space to move around in is something I generally like.

31 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

it has an ingame keybind that takes pictures as .bmp. You can just edit those pictures by way of saving them as jpeg later. The screenies will be located in your PrBoom+ folder, and they'll be called "doom1, doom2", and so on. When you take a screenie in PrBoom+ it will play a "ring-tone" to notify you that you've taken a screenshot.

The screenies you made from inside the builder look promising. Lots of space to move around in is something I generally like.

Thanks. The original Fragmentation's room layout was a bit more cramped (the tunnels were roughly 128 units wide, the rooms were about 256 units wide, and the main room was something in the neighborhood of 512x512 with 64-unit lifts and 256-unit connecting rooms.

For a brief comparison, this is what the original Fragmentation map looked like:

gH6jMMR.png

And in 3D:

8A3Jyzu.png

Looking through the wad in question, I committed several mapping sins while making it, such as the placement of the torches in the north and south areas of this room. In a head-to-head Deathmatch, it would have resulted in a player getting stuck on those things. I also made the mistake of lower-unpegging the exit door sidedef, resulting in the door acting weird when opening. The exit door isn't in this version of the wad, as I'm planning to place the exit in a much different spot this time around. The new map also looks a lot nicer than the old one.

Edited by Dravencour

On 10/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, DerFurer'sFace said:

Boom tends more toward vanilla-style mapping, while ZDoom (and especially GZDOOM) throws in Decorate, ACS scripting and other things that can't really be done in vanilla. For instance, I've been working on a script that spawns monsters into a map where previously none exist (a great alternative to monster closets), as well as a script that opens a door when all monsters tagged a specific way are dead (which is usually the province of 666 and 667 tags in vanilla and are very map and specific monster dependent).

ZDoom allows for all kinds of things that vanilla doesn't cover, but it comes at the cost of compatibility with other ports. Zandronum, for example, can do sloping and 3D floors as well as GZDOOM can, but it still can't do things like stacked sectors or line portals.

Edited by Dravencour

14 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

But I'm not sure - should I add them for singleplayer, or Co-op only?

Co-op is optional as far as I'm concerned, but either way I think that, if you add some monsters from doom II, some added firepower might not be the worst of ideas. If you want to keep it "doom I-ish" that's perfectly fine though.

So I now have a place for that teleporter to go in my wad, and a new room to play around with. I imagine this being somewhere in the bowels of Hell. The first version of the room was a bit more marbley and had a snazzy staircase with circular steps, but I ran into texture alignment issues due to my decision to put blood fountains on the bottom step with the blood, so I decided to scrap it.

59f45d1b4c910_FragmentsofDarknessHellRoom.png.e065b3e5c7d75aba6edd02a481d75205.png

59f45d205b0c1_FragmentsofDarknessHellRoom2.png.6ad029423cf9119b2ba19091d5d0bb20.png

I also got rid of the monsters, weapons and items in the other big area due to getting sick of having to fight them every time I wanted to explore the new area. I will add them back in once I have the map fully laid out and working.

I have just two problems now:

• Figuring out what the hell to put beyond that door over there (since I am serious about expansion) and...
  • Figuring out how to transfer skies without ending up with a completely white sky. Because I do plan to show off the Hell sky (SKY3) elsewhere in this map.

What you're gonna put behind the door is entirely up to you.

1 hour ago, Dravencour said:

Figuring out how to transfer skies without ending up with a completely white sky. Because I do plan to show off the Hell sky (SKY3) elsewhere in this map.

"Action 271" is what you want. basically any map in boom fomat with a custom sky uses this. SunLust would be one example of many. I think once you see how the setup works for skytransfers it should be pretty much self explanatory. What you basically do is you add the texture you want to use as a sky to a wall (upper + lower frontsides should do the trick) and then you give that linedef a tag for where you need to see the sky. The fun part is you can turn any wall texture into a sky with this.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"Action 271" is what you want. basically any map in boom fomat with a custom sky uses this. SunLust would be one example of many. I think once you see how the setup works for skytransfers it should be pretty much self explanatory. What you basically do is you add the texture you want to use as a sky to a wall (upper + lower frontsides should do the trick) and then you give that linedef a tag for where you need to see the sky. The fun part is you can turn any wall texture into a sky with this.

Ended up creating another testmap and got the sky transfer to work to my satisfaction. And because I generally liked the design of the testmap, I turned it into another room of the wad, though the sky was nixed due to sector height.

Ok, I've started to edit this map for a little time I have:

Spoiler

Before:

_-kIyADPPo8.jpg

After:
2SmdIkTHzkc.jpg

Before:

2JwpC5Ol.png

2OycOmNl.png

H3uT3sGl.png

After:

71UIPqRl.png

cNkCgsKl.png

VnzQpJ5l.png

Grey sky is not intended here. Of course, it's not the final edits, possibly more details will be added in next touches.

Just stumbled across this, I am going to throw my hat into the ring and work on a rework of an old map of mine and give it some touch ups.

Which looks like the attached image currently.

As it's my own map I'll expand on it and make it flow better than it does at the moment.

SkyTemple.png

Yeah. That's way too many weapons. Just one of each weapon would be sufficient. If you're wanting to prepare the player for a big fight (such as with the Icon), one of each weapon will do, along with one megasphere (which handles both health and armor quite nicely) and enough ammo to get you to max. And yes, something other than a direct copy of the Icon of Sin would do nicely for the final part.

18 minutes ago, danielhday said:

Should I make the new version of my first map have lots of monsters and/or ammo, just like my first map did?

I don't see why not. Mind you, it's your map to begin with, so I'm guessing you would know better what you had in mind than I do ;-)

Ok, I've finished my map.

Download: https://yadi.sk/d/Y-x-n6eB3PQqEr

Comprasion screenshots:

Spoiler

VrLh7Z3.png

NhbwWms.jpg

uza8Tg9.jpg

C7J5W2t.jpg

fAH5Qr6.jpg

qvsOpMi.jpg

cKhWXtj.jpg

KqcOgx2.jpg

All new textures are from cc4-tex.wad

I've tried to save the color pallete and the idea of the original textures, but mostly author of the original wad have used random ideas. Also, I decided to do that people said in comments to wad and video by DCB - cut away those strange hallways and disable flickering sectors.

I hope you'll like this new version.

P.S.: Author of the original map said to mention him (Karl J. Solie) in credits. And also write the message about new version/remake of his map. Well, he posted this map before I've born, lol. Interesting, does his old email work now? (I don't think so)

I am currently a good ways into my remake of an old favorite from 2001: Xtreme doom. Will post screenshots soon but another question which can be personally fixed later:

does the map # matter or can it just be map01 when submitted?

4 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

does the map # matter or can it just be map01 when submitted?

the only thing that matters is not puttig your map in slot 07 and using that slot's special actions, because there's no way to tell how the maps will be arranged when they get compiled yet.

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

can i add monsters to the map?

It wouldn't be the first time that there's monsters in a DM map, so I'm thinking it's fine. ;-)

Here's some of the work i've done so far.

Xtreme Doom had a great fast paced charm mostly because of its dehacked script giving ludicous guns and enemies, but being a wad from 2001 i found it suffered in places from being way to open with very little within the space, my goal was to keep the general space of the map while making it more defined as a map (keeping color schemes the same and general layout, but adding more detail, monsters and playing on the maps large verticality).

I also am adding many more traps and secrets since the original map had no secrets and the idea of fast paced battles with little cover helps supplant the feeling the dehacked script gave. pics below

Capture6.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG