Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Recycled Community Project (RC available)

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Perhaps I can reach out to @DerFurer'sFace, and ask him to do the required editing to his map before I put the whole thing together, if not then I might do some of the fixes myself in a somewhat "lazy" fashion, before I compile all the stuff. Depends on what happens on his end I guess. On second thoughts I am not entirely sure what sort of state his map is actually in. Assuming the word "alpha" is in there for a reason, I'll best give it a look later today to see what it's like. Hopefully it's "ready enough" overall, because I'm not keen on too many further delays but I also want that map in the project. So let's stay optimistic.

Well i can take a quick overlook of my map one more time but I was pretty certain that I left my map in a completed and preferred state. If there was any errors you found or areas you didn't like, please let me know. I'll take another look but I may have left it named Recycle Alpha by accident.

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Well i can take a quick overlook of my map one more time but I was pretty certain that I left my map in a completed and preferred state. If there was any errors you found or areas you didn't like, please let me know. I'll take another look but I may have left it named Recycle Alpha by accident.

Your map was the last one I played, so it was the only one fresh in my head.  I recall at least one HOM (untextured missing doortrak midtex; the type that won't show in older doombuilder "Map Analysis" tools) and one small scene where the sky transfer was missing.  I think there was another HOM or two earlier than that too, also I didn't load texture packs fyi if that's relevant.  You can watch the demo if you don't mind combing 40 minutes of gameplay, heh.  There were some big maps here, but your's was the biggest.

also, I don't know what version I played of your wad.  To reiterate, it was what was linked in the OP last night, and I played as is, standalone.  I think your map was called "map01.wad" and I renamed to to "Recycled_Alpha.wad" before playing it to match the zip's name.  I did not read any textfiles provided :^)

7 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Your map was the last one I played, so it was the only one fresh in my head.  I recall at least one HOM (untextured missing doortrak midtex; the type that won't show in older doombuilder "Map Analysis" tools) and one small scene where the sky transfer was missing.  I think there was another HOM or two earlier than that too, also I didn't load texture packs fyi if that's relevant.  You can watch the demo if you don't mind combing 40 minutes of gameplay, heh.  There were some big maps here, but your's was the biggest.

also, I don't know what version I played of your wad.  To reiterate, it was what was linked in the OP last night, and I played as is, standalone.  I think your map was called "map01.wad" and I renamed to to "Recycled_Alpha.wad" before playing it to match the zip's name.  I did not read any textfiles provided :^)

I did a good comb over today and i found a couple sky texture issues and missing door items. I believe my map is now in a very healthy state.

Changes i made:

fixed some missing door textures

Added at least 20 sky transfer sectors to remove the sky bugs

Added some more ammo and health in areas

Changed heights of some of the towers

Removed a few revenants

Added another trap near the red key

Fixed red skull secret so its actually accessible

I think everything else is in order.

Recycle_DFFv2.zip

I went to the back of the attic to mend a couple fried synapses.  Without commenting on gameplay, here's some things that might be considered technical bugs:

AXIX - there's two areas with stuck monsters, but they actually added value rather than subtracted from the experience. i.m.o

Icemare - I can only recommend considering a box of bullets in the shootable lift, just to hedge against softlocks.  (I wish Doom had the pistol fire non-damaging tracers at 0 bullets or something, just so edge-cases could be avoided.  But, unfortunately Doom is not a perfect game.  Or maybe a recharging bullet dispenser; you punch a vending machine with 1 hp, it drops a clip, but it resurrects itself after a while.  whatever, i don't wanna get carried away)

Others - seemed fine iirc.

@ShotgunDemolition

In case did not post it somewhere in this thread (maybe I just missed it), I still need a txt for your map (Check OP for what is supposed to go in).

The stuck monsters in your map, imo, should get "unstuck", since it's kinda the point of this project to recognize and deal with issues like those. It's an easy fix to make and I can do that for you, so you don't have to reupload another version of the map.

So here's a dropbox link that shows the current state of the compilation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/917cf8h6c0dvpaf/recycled.zip?dl=1

For those who are interested in playing my map, since I kept it to myself until now, it's in slot 07 because it is arguably the longest map in the set, and it's perhaps the most difficult of them all. The difficulty settings are all implemented, and they are somewhat "subtle", because I am not a big fan of spreading the settings out too much. I didn't pay too much attention to overhauling the visuals, though I added some minor touches here and there. I was mostly focused on getting the map to a less shotgungrind heavy state of play, upping the overall pace a little, but also adding some new fights. Had to more or less "axe" and rebuild a section entirely. Here's hoping you'll leave with your sanity still intact. UV is for when you're decent at slaughter stuff, HMP is for when you're not too good at it, and HNTR/ITYTD should be doable for pretty much everybody. If anybody wants to FDA the map, do it with saves.

I got the mapnames in, so people can see who did what on the automap (I hope I did not confuse people and their maps). I got the archive stripped from all the unused resources and shit. And I wanted to get in that picture from OP which rdwpa made. As you can see the palette screws it over pretty bad, and setting a colourmap translation for it won't help. So that's something I still need to somehow figure out, because I'd like to keep that picture for the compilation.

As soon as ShotgunDemolition's stuck monsters are gone (I still need him to agree to me doing that small edit), I'll get an intermission pic, and I guess it'll be ready to go. On that note, if any of you wanna do a demo for your own map, after everything is checked and ready, let me know. Would be a nice touch to see the demos getting played back ingame I think.

If you want to see the entire map I was working on played from start to finish on UV, here's a demo with a length of a bit less than 50 minutes: RC07-CasualMax_sub50m.zip

I didn't play a lot the last weeks, so it's a bit sketchy here and there. Grab a coffee, make yourself comfortable.

I noticed a few things in the map that I didn't catch previously, so those are gonna be fixed when I do the next small batch of edits to the compilation.

10 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

In case did not post it somewhere in this thread (maybe I just missed it), I still need a txt for your map (Check OP for what is supposed to go in).

The stuck monsters in your map, imo, should get "unstuck", since it's kinda the point of this project to recognize and deal with issues like those. It's an easy fix to make and I can do that for you, so you don't have to reupload another version of the map.

Sorry, I forgot that it needed to be a txt and so I posted the info in a post in this thread.

Here is the txt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w21n66bzilz2r35/AXIXV2.txt?dl=0

About the stuck monsters, I can't remember it having stuck monsters (maybe I encountered them once and didn't pay attention or maybe I have written about them in this thread, yet I can't remember anything).

If you are not bothered by it, then by all means you can edit the monsters any way you want.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

fdas for maps 6 and 7.  noisy_recycled6-7.zip (prb+ cl9; switched to cl-1 for heelz map after i died)

I played these last night; I'm giving up alcohol for the lenten season, so i binged through a bottle of sake while playing these (i only planned on drinking half but went through the whole thing somehow).  I used saves generously on map07, but eventually got walled by the white-n-blue hyperdeath rape cave in heels' map.  I didn't heed her warning lol.  Then I got sleepy and went to bed.  I'll likely finish it tonight or something because i'm stubborn.  Demos probably not worth watching, and sometimes when i play i turn into a walking brainstem - but as always, i'll include it for data's sake.

things i remember

Map06: -I don't remember any technical bugs.

Map07: -I recall one sky transfer issue;

-inconsistent damaging floor issue near same area? but could be wrong and not sure if intentional (in the nukage/intestines in the interplanar, organic marble place)

-lots of blocking hanging corpses in at least a few places that don't seem intentional.

edit: heh i double checked; like 45 50 minutes into the noisy_recycled_7try2.lmp is when i finally get to the cave, and it's only halfway done playing.  so i guess that demo is like 1.5 2 hrs before it stops in the same cave.

Edited by NoisyVelvet

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Map07: -I recall one sky transfer issue;

I think I know were that one might have been. A brief desciption would have been nice though ;-)

inconsistent damaging floor issue near same area? but could be wrong and not sure if intentional (in the nukage/intestines in the interplanar, organic marble place)

I'm nigh 100% sure all the sectors there are set to damaging and will hurt you if you're walking around there. I'll double check this to make sure, but basically, when you position yourself in a certain way, you won't get hurt by these floors by taking advantage of height differences. See demo for how it works: RC07_hurtfloor.zip

I could certainly make it such that this "phenomenon" does not occur in that section of the map by using "action 242" shenanigans, but on the other hand I honestly don't think it will actually change all that much since people don't wanna fall off anyway once they reel in a hurt instance. That aside this behaviour is kinda in the player's favour as well. Also there is no action going on out there anyway. Not sure how I feel about it in general, but I guess in this case I won't bother doing anything about that particular issue.

lots of blocking hanging corpses in at least a few places that don't seem intentional.

I was somewhat confident I removed just about all the hanging and blocking corpses that would actually get in people's ways. After rewatching my own demo I spotted a few that I overlooked in places where they might be annoying, but I'm kinda hesitant to just use "find/replace" on them, since the author of the original really seemed to like those in particular. So I suppose I'll comb through the map once more to at least keep some of them around. Might as well add some lighting gradients here and there while I'm at it.

I used saves generously on map07, but eventually got walled by the white-n-blue hyperdeath rape cave in heels' map.  I didn't heed her warning lol.

Yeah, I'm a bit shaken here. It's not like I am unwilling to make any changes to the difficulty overall, but at the same time I feel like that fight plays in a pretty consistent manner. I mean, I guess this one of the reasons why I am not going to sign up for community projects like Joy Of Mapping etc in the future just like that and actually hope to get my maps in without any issues whatsoever, since it would appear that some of the stuff that I find quite reasonable gives other people a bit of a rough time. UV is meant to be somewhat difficult in the sense that it is slightly more unforgiving than HMP is, but I'm open to suggestions in terms of tweaking that fight a little bit for UV and maybe also HMP, it's just that I can do that fight about 9 times out of 10, if not more, and it only ever gets me killed when I gamble too much there. Not that it is super easy overall, so yeah, I have mixed feelings about this one if it gives you so much trouble.

@Nine Inch Heels from what i played it was pretty fun. 

the damaging floors is probably fine: i checked it out again for fun really quick, and apparently you can hover over damaging floor and not get hurt.  I will add this knowledge to my collection of doom powers for future dooming.  thanks.  Also, I actually didn't know you could climb up back up onto the main platform, until everything was dead and I risked exploring for the invuln secret; The stairs were skinny and i neglected them the first time.

here is the sky transfer thing i noticed, but it looks cool because it's a abstract, symmetric bulls-eye pattern, so it passes as Not-A-Bug :)

DMkXxno.png

This is the place with the most annoying hanging corpses imo.  the rest i saw weren't too bad.  I had revenant rockets on my tail but was tangled by infinite height corpses that I assumed were their unblocking variant (unless it was a nodebuild error thing too).

2mEPpMT.png

Also, I don't think it's necessary to change stuff if you don't want to just because I sucked at parts of the map :p.  After all, I'm just one particular dude on the internet who may not be the best at doom, who played on UV anyways (i'm 44% percentile on 2017's ironman league, which is the only metric i can cite here).  For your note though, which should be used at your discretion of course, I noticed that you went into the fight with more health and cells.  On my playthrough, I went in with less but also saved myself into that position, which was an unoptimal state.  I did come close to beating it anyways though, a couple times actually, but tripped towards the end when there were just Cybers and Revenants left.  It's always a tough call on whether or not to make concessions for other people; and sometimes the feedback is a small sample-size too, etc.  I'm just a singular NoisyVelvet.

I like Boomcave and Icemare the best, for what it's worth.

Any news about this project? Just resurrecting this thread to ask if it's almost finished. 

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Any news about this project? Just resurrecting this thread to ask if it's almost finished. 

I was thinking the same... isn't this project ready to go?

The maps are all in and ready to go. I'm pretty sure I updated the compilation that is linked in the OP as well.

Still fiddling with the starting screen and the interpic, which I am hoping to get done this weekend when I have the nerve for trial and error. But as far as maps are considered, the project is in a finished state.

I was wondering if anybody would want to do demos for their maps, because I would have liked to put those in to replace the "vanilla" ones, wouldn't even need to be "good" demos, but since nobody's responded, I guess I'll just not record any, and simply put in the graphics.

59 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I was wondering if anybody would want to do demos for their maps, because I would have liked to put those in to replace the "vanilla" ones, wouldn't even need to be "good" demos, but since nobody's responded, I guess I'll just not record any, and simply put in the graphics.

Mine's a long map, but i can do a demo for you if you'd like.

@Nine Inch Heels

If fact, I'm glad i ran through my map recently, since I noticed that the WAD currently contains a far outdated version of my map (unpolished and filled with HOM's and nasties), so I'll re-link my more finished version and if that could be changed out i'd be very thankful.

Recycle_DFFv2.zip

I am certain I have the updated version of your map in the compilation already. If it's not in the compilation the OP links to, then I suppose the updated compilation somehow didn't get uploaded, not sure what I messed up there. I'll make sure to double check that your map gets in with it's most up to do date version.

Also, if you want to do a demo, you really don't need to finish the entire map and spoil it all, you can also do something like a short 2 minute demo that dies on purpose somewhere, for example.

I had lost any motivation about mapping doom and I want share my WAD into this project. I had done 17 maps (1-9, 11-17, 20, 25, 26). Map 10 should rework, but it can ignore.

Question, it is ok?

7 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

I had lost any motivation about mapping doom and I want share my WAD into this project. I had done 17 maps (1-9, 11-17, 20, 25, 26). Map 10 should rework, but it can ignore.

Question, it is ok?

Well, wow... I'm not sure where to start. I've been offering to "manage" this here project because you didn't want to concern yourself with that part of the work among other things (admittedly I am not doing the most graceful job of it myself atm), and after you withdrew a finished map from this project to use it for your own WAD... Let's just say I don't know how I feel about this.

As for the maps you have there, unless they match with the theme of this project, which is using a certain amount of creativity to improve a map that already existed, it would mean that the only map that would fit this project would be the one you withdrew already. Maps you built from scratch don't fit in here. So that's one map I could include, which for the record I have mixed feelings about. This means you'd still be left with 16 maps that you would need to somehow get out on your own. I can include that one map if you really want, and make an interpic for it this weekend like I will for the rest of the bunch, but it would seem to me that you're probably better off compiling your work in a seperate WAD-archive because your maps would fit together better in that case.

@Nine Inch Heels

Also, is there another link for the updated .WAD? The only one i can find is one with my old buggy map and 7 maps in total (unless that is the only ones that were submitted which would be a shame)?

sorry to be a bother.

Also for Demos, must the demo be made for the WAD being played to work just as the menu screen ones? or can they be Demos from any WAD?

I did not yet get around to reuploading the WAD, because I haven't been at home the past days, but I should be able to upload the version with your most up to date map tomorrow when I return, bear in mind though that it will not have the intermission pics in it at that point, because I'm still messing around with those (trial and error when Doom's palette says "no"), and since it appears that some people are getting impatient I'll bite that bullet this weekend, also for the sake of getting it off my back, really.

There are only 7 maps total, because one submission has been withdrawn months ago (see above), and the rest of the bunch just didn't provide a map to begin with, or told me they wouldn't be able to contribute somewhere down the line. So, we're left with just over half a dozen maps, which honestly I feel indifferent about. I just wanted to see where this would go. The actual idea behind the project isn't mine, I'm basically only here to do the chores while also working on a map to contribute to the project. Personally I think it's been a success by virtue of getting some people acquainted with the map editor so they might eventually start mapping on their own from scratch. That was actually the most important reason I "hosted" this project, whatever maps would come out of it I personally consider a nice bonus in a way.

I can't really blame people for not wanting to deal with polishing a WAD they deem flawed, to be honest. It's not something that everybody enjoys, and that is what made people "drop out" among other reasons, like life getting in the way, I guess. Granted, if there were more people active here, then maybe someone who knows how to do the graphics stuff so that doom's palette doesn't mess things up might have been available, but since it's all on me and I am a total scrub when it comes to editing pictures in any way, it's just not happening as easily as I thought it could have. :p

I made an attempt to recycle the image of recycling that you recycled from rdwpa that you intended to recycle for use in your 'recycled' community project.

V3MFK3A.png

I'm not a graphic designer tho.  I opened Gimp for the third time in my life, and lasso selected the recycle bin and right shirt into separate layers, then color shifted each layer separately into a color range that sucked less.  It's definitely not up to professional standards, but here.  It also looks extra crappy in prboom+ cuz the dimensions are weird.

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Personally I think it's been a success by virtue of getting some people acquainted with the map editor so they might eventually start mapping on their own from scratch.

Congratulations: I am now marginally more proficient at Gimp, despite how confusing it still is to do simple things like copy/paste in that editor.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Congratulations: I am now marginally more proficient at Gimp, despite how confusing it still is to do simple things like copy/paste in that editor.

Never used gimped myself at all.

As for the weird dimensions of your picture there, that is something I might be able to correct quite easily. Perhaps I can make that blue look a bit less like it's only two or three shades, in which case I think that picture might be quite alright altogether.

Unfortunately, converting any pic that you edited in GIMP, for example, into the Doom graphic, some colors are toned down. That I know because I did some GIMP editing too :).

Also, I might check it out the maps...maybe I could find some bugs...

@DerFurer'sFace according to my dropbox app, all files in it are up to do date, which means that your "bean" made it in as well. Compilation is available from the same link as before, if you want to have a look around.

I clipped around in your map a little bit to see if I would spot any HOMs, but couldn't seem to find any on a cursory glance. Since you know where those were, maybe it would be a good idea if you could have a look around just so we're on the safe side with your map here.

EDIT: Might as well re-link for convenience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/917cf8h6c0dvpaf/recycled.zip?dl=1

Are you sure the link is updating correctly? i used that link and it still has the old map, an example:

New Map

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_085941.png.a9e65eefafb0972da656a2b1ef236a0a.png

versus old:

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_085145.png.6089d0e3319d23e0161e26bb0e02087b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_084932.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_084949.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_085006.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_085023.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180317_085028.png

54 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Are you sure the link is updating correctly? i used that link and it still has the old map, an example:

New Map

I just downloaded the Zip that is behind the link I provided here. Loaded the map up, clipped around for a bit, and couldn't see any issues that are similar to what you just posted here. Are you absolutely certain you unpacked what's in the zip and used that to run the game? I'm seriously confused as to why you get these results. I mean, if you wanna make sure that you have the up to date version, I noticed you put a new texture in the recent map you uploaded, if that texture is in the map where you got the screenshots from, then there might an issue with the compilation which I need to be looking at, but if that new texture is not in the map, then you're still using the outdated compilation.

@Nine Inch Heels

I double-triple checked everything, i unzipped from the link (i even tried the earlier posted link) and I tired running that exact file in both prboom+ and GZdoom. Its still the old undated version, I checked the file in SLADE and GZDOOM builder and the DFFBEAN texture isn't even present, which I thought it was from the very beginning until i noticed that the yellow key area was not even finished in this version:

I'm confused as to what is going on, and i apologize if it's being a big hassle.

image.png.9592224b0b9bdf398e873ba9c2ce6385.pngimage.png.7495d9bb281627977c617bf13f50f5a4.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/917cf8h6c0dvpaf/recycled.zip?dl=1

Okay, this time I removed the zip form my dropbox folder, then put in the updated one. Then I had it upload the compilation, then I downloaded it, and it shows me the exact same exit picture that you provided a screenshot of. There is not way that I can think of that this link still holds the outdated version of your map.

One thing I have to say however is that when I opened the old version of the compilation, which I still had a seperate folder, it did not show me these weird HOMs. Might be best if you took a look at what should really be the correct version now.