Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Recycled Community Project (RC available)

Guest Unregistered account

Sign me up! I have many awful maps I've made that started strong. 

All right, I can't resist. This sounds like a really easy way to get into mapping without needing "full-stack" experience.

Couple of questions, though: First, if I commit to making a map, and can't finish, will that in any way inconvenience others? (E.g. will I be "hogging up" a map slot that someone else could have used, etc.?) Second, how does the rule about custom textures/flats work? I thought one could only replace lumps in a WAD, and not add new ones... If someone replaces a texture, will it not goof up everyone else's levels? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

(BTW, I like the project icon! :-))

The icon is 11/10 creation :)  I can't contribute, but I'm willing to see the outcome of the project. Good luck.

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Couple of questions, though: First, if I commit to making a map, and can't finish, will that in any way inconvenience others?

No. Map slots will not be reserved to begin with. If an author contributes more than one map, it will make sense to put these in adjacent slots, but even then those will be chosen more or less at random.

3 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Second, how does the rule about custom textures/flats work?

This is probably all you will need to know for the time being: http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=wiki&wikipage=How-to-Import-Textures

*raises hand*

this might sound stupid but oh well.. Can we send our reworked failed, unreleased map?

So I actually went through and looked at the maps I posted in the other thread...

qdlrOwe.png

I'm not sure if I'm good enough to follow his design principles.

However the feveswar.wad one looks quite interesting, but is quite short(basically just 2 more rooms after you find the blue and red key). May be worth to just throw some rooms inbetween to give it some more length. Think I should be able to do that in 6 months, I guess.

2 minutes ago, R1ck said:

*raises hand*

this might sound stupid but oh well.. Can we send our reworked failed, unreleased map?

Not sure what you mean. You may have read in the rules that you are allowed to rework you own projects. In case this does not to answer your question, it would be nice if you could explain what you're about a bit more thouroughly. :-)

This is how Alapolgy wad looks right now. I'll combine both maps into one,but now I need some help or small tips about direction(I just thinking where to start). Both maps are quite flat, has little height variation and have square rooms and way too crampy dodge monster attacks. Also,I could do demo recording for these maps in the way they are before I touch main lines in new copy. 

alapolgy at 2017.06.01 21-30-12.142 [R2979].jpg

alapolgy at 2017.06.01 21-30-23.885 [R2979].jpg

Alright I recorded original demo of these maps before I'll do changes here. I used skill 1,because I couldn't handle monsters properly in harder skills. Complevel is 9. 

alapolgy original_demo.zip

Edited by MysteriousHaruko : Added demo file

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You may have read in the rules that you are allowed to rework you own projects. In case this does not to answer your question, it would be nice if you could explain what you're about a bit more thouroughly. :-)

Oh sorry, it's a language barrier and I had to read it like, thrice to understand. Count me in. I'll rework on this piece of immature failure. :D

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

This is how Alapolgy wad looks right now. I'll combine both maps into one,but now I need some help or small tips about direction

Since both these maps seem quite small, fusing them might be worth a try. How you do that is of course entirely up to you. If I were to suggest something, think about which starting room of which map you may want to cut/reuse as a point to fuse them. Alternatively, you could also turn one map by 90°, so you can connect them at different points more easily, and perhaps work in a non-linear aspect. If you turn the second map by 90° counter-clockwise for example, you may be able to put them together quite easily. But as I said, it's your call to make. :-)

7 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Both maps are quite flat, has little height variation

in maps this small, it is not necessarily easy to work in lots of height variations, I'd imagine. On the other hand, I have no idea how these maps look/play at the moment.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

square rooms and way too crampy dodge monster attacks

I can see your point about the square rooms here and there, the geometry overall seems quite simplistic. The idea of limited real estate to dodge attacks may have been deliberate on the other hand. Not that this about you changing something that you didn't like to your personal liking. This is about you improving on things you were not okay with. If you want to scale rooms in size, to make things feel a bit less cramped you're free to do so.

If you would like to demo them, go ahead. I'd be interested to see you play these. When you provide a demo, make sure you record it with -complevel 9 in prboom+. When you're done you can just edit the demos into the comment with the two screenies of the maps. Make sure the zip the demo lmps, so you can upload them here directly.

Nice to see this thing take off.

I will remake my second map, STHAWFUL.WAD, released 25.02.2016.

www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/sthawful

I'm currently busy with a map that I promised to finish by July, then I'm yours.

I'll probably use that "Doom textures in doom 2" texture pack, how the hell do you expect me to live without PLANET1 and STARTAN1???

Good luck everyone else!

16 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Oh sorry, it's a language barrier and I had to read it like, thrice to understand. Count me in. I'll rework on this piece of immature failure. :D

No worries, we have lots of time to understand each other. ;-)

Glad you're with us. I look forward to seeing the results.

4 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Hey @Nine Inch Heels, do you have any mapping experience of your own to show off in here and to contribute as well?

Had you read the OP you would have known that I will also contribute a map.

That aside, I'm basically here for the clerical work, because nobody seemed to be willing to do that, and I wanted to see this thing take off, because people were interested in it.

I must have read it too quickly and overlooked the latter half of said paragraph.

1 minute ago, Glaice said:

I must have read it too quickly and overlooked the latter half of said paragraph.

No worries. I can see why people would wonder why I commit to this to begin with. ;-)

I would like to try it out but I want to remake my own map even though it wasn't posted anywhere on /idgames or zdoom, but I have a witness that had played it here on Doomworld and can testify that it exists.

1 minute ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I would like to try it out but I want to remake my own map even though it wasn't posted anywhere on /idgames or zdoom, but I have a witness that had played it here on Doomworld and can testify that it exists.

I have no objections at all. Just be aware that if your maps used (G)Zdoom specific features, they may not be feasible to rework in boom format.

Question: Say, I have found a map with 600 monsters (martian base stuff, simple texture usage, it isn't a slaughtermap I think) and the map author gives just ammo, but not guns and the map is generally huge (too many small rooms and some nice bigger ones). Am I allowed to remove some of the smaller rooms or cut down the demons, except from changing item placement?

44 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Hey @Nine Inch Heels, do you have any mapping experience of your own to show off in here and to contribute as well?

Here are examples (hidde content). You can look it :)

5 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

the map author gives just ammo,

No weapons in terms of secrets either? Is there amoo for weapons you can't even get at all?

6 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Am I allowed to remove some of the smaller rooms or cut down the demons, except from changing item placement?

In general I'd be more in favour of lowering the monster count or providing more firepower, in case the map feels absurdly grindy and tedious. If you want to change the layout, it may be worth trying to merge some of the smaller rooms to the bigger ones, by tearing down some walls and using mid-textures, or increasing the size of the workable area by changing void areas into hurt floor-pits. Either way may work, unless of course the map is so heavy handed in terms of hitscans that it would make it unplayable as a result. But to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen anything of the map yet. Would be be really helpful if you could provide a screenshot when you have it open inside a builder, because at this point it's pretty much a guessing game for me.

59 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you would like to demo them, go ahead. I'd be interested to see you play these. When you provide a demo, make sure you record it with -complevel 9 in prboom+. When you're done you can just edit the demos into the comment with the two screenies of the maps. Make sure the zip the demo lmps, so you can upload them here directly.

You can check demo now if you want. I'm not profesional player :')

15 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

You can check demo now if you want. I'm not profesional player :')

Alright I had a look. From what I have seen it would appear that the first map where you get the chainsaw and the RL is intended to be relatively cramped, because it is mostly meant to be a tyson style map, if we exclude the HK, revenant on the ledge, and the baron, all of which are best dealt with by way of rockets, for that matter. That being said, it makes some sense for there to be limited real estate to work with. Of course, the ceiling in the opening rooms is so low, that it might be worth trying to raise it and add some ceiling details, for example. If you want to leave the tyson style part of the map as is in regards to its concept, and I would actually endorse that personally, you may need to find a way to make that part of the map work for tysoning, if you started on what was previsously map number 2 (where you get the SSG). If that makes any sense. Since both maps are relatively short, it may be a good idea to think about adding rooms to connect the maps properly and give the final product some more playtime, but that is up to you, I'm simply thinking aloud here. ;-)