Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Recycled Community Project (RC available)

4 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Oh boy, I just got into an accident and I broke by right wrist and kinda unable to use the mouse with that hand. I'll stop mapping for Etomana for this because it will take time. :/

OMFG. I hope you'll get better soon, dude.

I didn't see this thread before (because I'm blind sometimes, lel).

I'd like to participate here, but I don't know which map I should "recycle".

I am currently working on the map and I think it got at least 50% less annoying. I deleted the box maze for a simpler room with an ambush and I also replaced the dark maze with a simpler construct. Finally, I changed the Caco arena so that you can enter it and not doorcamp instead (I guarantee it's better as is now).

Will check for some more stuff I can change later.

1 hour ago, R1ck said:

Oh boy, I just got into an accident and I broke by right wrist and kinda unable to use the mouse with that hand. I'll stop mapping for Etomana for this because it will take time. :/

Get well soon. Don't push yourself to finish something when there's a chance that doing so won't be good for your health, or cause pain.

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

I'd like to participate here, but I don't know which map I should "recycle".

That's up to you. Based on how I formulated the OP, there's a lot of potential out there for many different reasons. And if you don't have a map in mind that somebody else has made, maybe there's a map you made in the past that you would like to improve on in some way.

So, this is my first map submission here. If any errors are still found, just mention me and I'll check what I can do.

Old map: "Alapolgy" from "DS-61-3.zip" map compilation by Malcolm Sailor
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/ds-61-3

Overhaul: "No Apologies" by Myst.Haruko
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61a4ydu7k30zoga/No Apologies.zip?dl=1

Build time: It took few months with procrastination 

skill levels implemented: Yes.

coop: yes

DM: yes

texture packs used: no
Music: Descent map01
Comment: This map basically was created by merging two different small maps from same wad into one bigger map. I tried to preserve some author intended things( I don't look at you original exit route) and expand some areas. I like how this creation turned out, even if this caused some fustration from my side. Ammo preservation and punches(or chainsaw) will be your best friend, because I like to be salty sometimes while I do mapping. 

Sure. I'll update zip quickly again and write real authors of that midi, so no confusion will be caused by that.

Old map: Project Purgotary - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/90914-project-purgotary-map-132/#comment-1673214

Overhaul: Emerald Jail - https://www.dropbox.com/s/45rgjq4ikc3c9d6/emerald.zip?dl=0

Build time: 10 months like that

skill levels implemented: Yes, up to -skill 4

coop:No

DM: No!!

MIDI used: Rough and Tumble by Akira Saito (midi by alluro95, download from http://alluro95.tripod.com/MIDIMusic/Raidenmidi.htm)

Rick: This map was original made by me with not enough knowledge of doom mapping and it's embarrasing. Time for some epic designed overhaul and atone the old sins :p

Sreenshot just in case people need it:

Spoiler

22528040_10213551198121904_8727457471109

22490238_10213551203202031_2106389171182

@R1ck Screenies look promising so far. I'm going to give that map a spin tomorrow (latest). I sure hope somebody else is inclined to have a look at it as well, because 10 months of mapping journey are worth having a gander at, in my opinion. :-)

yeah, actually I've been messing around this map since January before my old computer was fried. I saw the chance I can put this map into this project so why not haha.

40 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Old map: Project Purgotary - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/90914-project-purgotary-map-132/#comment-1673214

Overhaul: Emerald Jail - https://www.dropbox.com/s/45rgjq4ikc3c9d6/emerald.zip?dl=0

Build time: 10 months like that

skill levels implemented: Yes, up to -skill 4

coop:No

DM: No!!

MIDI used: Rough and Tumble by Akira Saito (midi by alluro95, download from http://alluro95.tripod.com/MIDIMusic/Raidenmidi.htm)

Rick: This map was original made by me with not enough knowledge of doom mapping and it's embarrasing. Time for some epic designed overhaul and atone the old sins :p

- Texture alignment here is ugly, ceiling with incorrect flat

- Blue armor secret is flagged as two secrets, both the door and the room. 

- Killing all the lone imps in prison cells is tedious, I don't think every cell needs to be occupied. 

- Early gameplay is crying out for a rocket launcher and about 3-4 total rockets. Particularly stuff like that imp cluster early on. Imo, don't ever allow a desire for 'typical progression' hold you back from maximizing fun.

- Red key closet trap has three former humans and two imps. Even by the standards of the map, that is tame. 

- Right after the red key door, that L-shaped hallway should have maybe a quarter of the monsters it currently has. It's just meat. 

- All the chaingunners in the open yard make me want to camp that area. Maybe move a couple of them behind the blue key structure and put imps in their place. They'd also be better placed to be resurrected by the vile.

- Mancubi area leading up to the blue key are just hallway meat. Makes sense to replace two of them with small clusters of low-tiers.

- The imp reveal is the strongest part of the map imo. Nice idea there. 

- The secret in the last area (which also counts as two secrets for no particular reason): apparently there is a sector tagged 20 with a teleport destination, but no teleporter leading to that. Should be possible to vile jump in, but I wouldn't want to do that due to the narrow margins (Doomguy is 56-units tall, the opening is 64) and any rewards are useless at that point anyway. 

Done quick fixing based on what @rdwpa pointed out.

-changed PLAT1 texture to SUPPORT2, replaced the sky (I somehow let that slipped lol)

-changed the secret flag

-replaced shotgun to RL (yeah, since there's Shotgunguy there there early game to drop it)

-removed the formers and replaced it with a HK and few imps

-removed meat shields on L shaped hallway accept for HK

-respositioned Chaingunner and imps

-removed 2 mancubi and replaced it with imps and the formers

-removed secret flags at "LEENDA" and that area is now inaccessible. 

Let me know if I missed more things, man. I appreciate your help :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioquej1f6debjrq/emeraldjail_a.zip?dl=0

Improvements for sure.

- Two medkits in front of the lift that is in the area with the key doors could be moved to the side. The map is generous enough with health that objectively it doesn't matter too much, but seeing unavoidable medkits in front of you when you have something like 95% health is generally a bit annoying

- There's still a secret tag in that inaccessible area, preventing a max.

- You could remove about 2-3 shellboxes throughout the map, particularly at the halfway point and onward. Same with bullet boxes. The idea behind doing that isn't really to make ammo tightness a part of the gameplay. It's more to avoid the appearance of 'way too generous ammo', and move it closer to just 'generous ammo'. I think I was at 100 shells midway through with almost no realistic chance of ever needing them, and earlier I was encountering lots of shellboxes while at 40+ shells. This type of thing in this sort of mid-density map tends to feel like a misbalance, rather than 'player empowerment'. 

- I noticed that in the small area with three imps that triggers the trap with lost souls, shotgunners, and a big cluster of imps, if you wake those imps up and don't quickly drop down, they can block you through the narrow entrance thanks to infinite height. I'd make those imps rise out of the floor or something.

- Don't be afraid to dial up the difficulty a bit at the red key (and in more places too). This trap is still quite a bit less 'aggressive' than the shotgunner - lost soul setup, and it's a really good spot for a slight spike in the action, given the lulls both before and after it. 

- With the chaingunners outside I meant behind the structure, as in so you can't see them while you are peeking out of the door. In general I'm just charging in no matter what, but I'd try to avoid encouraging anyone from doing any camping, because it's the one truly open area in the map and would work as a good change of pace from the tighter spaces of the rest of the map.

done another fixes and made some improvement.

- medkits at the middle corridor, and one in a exit from "L" hallway to the outside area are removed - almost every medkits in the map are removed; replaced by a soulsphere in the secret area (should I remove the blue armor?)

- Leenda is still inaccessible - secret tag removed

- removed shellboxes in the most areas; replaced by rockets and one single rocket box near the vile trap.

- follow @rdwpa's suggestion -making the 3 imp in the said area rise up out of the floor

- enlarged the first floor at the red key area added some monsters, closet, and teleporting monster.

- removed chaingunners and left only one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mr919zrxo916qtw/emeraldjail_b.zip?dl=0

This is quite a bit better than the first version. Plays a lot more dynamically now. :)

Asking about removing the blue armor the right idea -- giving both is too much.

The ammo distribution is definitely stronger: feels like 'comfortably enough' rather than 'way too much'. Maybe move the backpack into one of the prison cells? The player having the backpack earlier won't hurt anything if you are going to give it anyway, and it'd also be a reward for exploring those cells (there currently isn't much). 

The red key fight has potential. Threats from two vectors, thumbs up. These are a bit imbalanced, currently. The stuff up top is stronger, but if the player flees it's pretty harmless through those narrow openings. Meanwhile, the closet below is quite weak. I don't want to suggest any big overhauls, so I'd say that moving one hell knight from above to the closet below is the bare minimum of what I'd do. (The shell box here can also be a bullet box.) 

If you are still looking for ways to strengthen the gameplay, you can probably have something (imps, etc.) warp into the yard, near the entrance, at some point, either after the player goes in a certain distance or at the same time the archvile is revealed.

At the very end, the archvile-manc fight as it currently is works as a denouement, but if you want to give it more teeth, you can have both mancubi teleport to opposite points of the room with W1 monster teleport lines (one close to the player, one on the ledge on the other side of the room), the vile staying put. 

Here's a playthrough. (Foreknowledge allows me to defang certain things, like the rev trio at the end, but I thought that in particular was good, a nice surprise in my first go.) 

Edited by rdwpa

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

I suppose this project will be finished at 1st day of November?

That was a mistake on my part. The idea was to have it going until end of this year and then release it during the first week of next year (after compiling, weeding out duplicate textures etc). So I changed that real quick to make sure it fits this idea.

As it currently stands there's about a handful of maps ready, which is why I think at this point it's probably wise to put a different deadline up for discussion. I wouldn't mind extending the time, but so far I haven't gotten any input in regards to this, so it seems people are fine with the time they were given such as it were.

Thank you for reply! Well, I've asked my question due to my "stirring life". I just can't do anything for this project until November. And I saw that deadline is supposed to be the end of October. Uh, lel...

Well, I would like to see extended time limit. Just checking my first mapping scraps and some terry wad related stuff to see if they are worth to see new light again and remaked in something playable and enjoyable for other people. 

1 minute ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Well, I would like to see extended time limit.

Okay, so you wanted to get another map into this project IIRC. The question would be how much of an extent you would want/need, and if that's reasonable. As it stands, maps should get in until december 31st (latest). So, if you wanted, say another week or two, that I'd be okay with. I certainly wouldn't want to start pushing this thing for months though.

Well, one week would be ok for me. I don't know how about other people. I wouldn't take very big map, because these days I don't have much time as I used in summer. Tommorrow, I'll let you know what map I'll redo and post here original stuff with map plan. 

I know its a bit late to the party (a lot late), any open slots for a map?

Just now, DerFurer'sFace said:

I know its a bit late to the party (a lot late), any open slots for a map?

Technically there's still more than 2 months left. If you're confident you can whip something up in that amount of time, consider yourself signed up.

Hey, I think you should bring already presented and remaked maps in first post place in spoilers, so nobody will be required to dig all thread to find specific maps to test if people wish to do that. It's just a suggestion. 

In mean time, I'll add text file in my first map and add more stuff in used midi  name. 

aye, uploaded another fix. This should be the final version:

added a little more salt at the red key area, removed blue armor, added another mancubus at the final area and moved the archville behind the exit door.

also increased the rocket count :D.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy2ftsxkyb2q9y2/emeraldjail_c_maybefinal.zip?dl=0

Edited by R1ck

4 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Hey, I think you should bring already presented and remaked maps in first post place in spoilers, so nobody will be required to dig all thread to find specific maps to test if people wish to do that. It's just a suggestion. 

In mean time, I'll add text file in my first map and add more stuff in used midi  name. 

I'll get that taken care of by tomorrow so that interested people can have a look around.

As it currently stands, I'm not sure what to do with @CrazyDoomguy's submission though, because he's using that map in a set of his own, and that's not something I'm particularly keen on.

6 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'll get that taken care of by tomorrow so that interested people can have a look around.

As it currently stands, I'm not sure what to do with @CrazyDoomguy's submission though, because he's using that map in a set of his own, and that's not something I'm particularly keen on.

You can remove it because I will use this level for my megawad :) 

I didn't thought that I could reuse some terry wad stuff, but here. 
Original source: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/terrywads/lavender

Author stated that other people can do modifications of his map, but I don't about permission stuff( I don't know if it's possible to find him by provided email adress, because 3 years passed already and I will only use maps excluding custom things and music)

Map plans :

Spoiler

zwRTCA0.png
mepM2Cq.png

Any suggestions for direction? Like making it slaughtery or more exploration oriented?

I would like to spice things up and make it harder than previous "Alapolgy" map. Of course, first I need convert it in boom format, so no malicious stuff would show up due different map format. As you can see, it's very linear and I really want reuse that word for open space arena. 

I just now added the finished maps to the OP. They can be found in the "participants" section alongside who made them.

I also included shotgundemolition's map, which may not yet be finished entirely, but it's there for testing purposes. So if you have something that may not yet be finished, but you want some testing done, or just gather some opinions on your WIP, drop a link here, and I'll add it to the OP as well as soon as I have a look around here.

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I would like to spice things up and make it harder than previous "Alapolgy" map. Of course, first I need convert it in boom format, so no malicious stuff would show up due different map format. As you can see, it's very linear and I really want reuse that word for open space arena. 

You have quite a bit of creative liberty for these overhauls. The only thing that's not so cool is turning the map into something that it clearly wasn't at all (terrywads being the exception). So really, if what you want is more difficulty, by all means go for it. If what you want is some new areas or connections, no problem at all. Just make sure it kinda fits the tone of the map. ;-)